SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 11, 2012, 06:25 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons** View Post
Bruce, hope to have it on the N B Airport Day.

Joe, flight is still off some time yet.

Got some pens and they started out good then died after some panel line footage.
**Neons**Bob
Iam a layed back builder but not that layed back yet to do panel lines and rivits on my birds .One day soon i will put some on but i cant sit for that long now even tho they look so good. joe
cracksmeup is online now Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 08:53 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,818 Posts
Joe, You are right in your thoughts. Your plane had some accent trim to help bring the beauty of the model out. Well, I have feelings about the plane due to it's size. looking at the large wall of blue it is just that. I just can't look at it and see the solid color. I just have to break it it up with lines or effects to spark some interest in it while close. While the plane is in the air it will be fine as you can't see any small details. This plane will never win a scale contest due to the fact there are a lot of errors in the build.

I think it is another phase in building that is very similar to putting the icing on a cake. It sure makes it delicious looking. Yet, I do not want it over detailed as it is just a standoff scale model with similaities to a real plane. We all have different ideas in what we are looking for in a model I suppose.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Old May 12, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,422 Posts
I remember lukeZ's solent build,he went through 3 sharpies doing rivets and pannel lines on his 80 inch solent .He damaged his and had to fix around the front end and also do all the lines and rivets over again in front.I thought about doing mine and still could but for now i just want to fly and enjoy her the way she is. Yours is a different paint scheme and i agree it needs a little more to break it up. Looking foward to seeing her all dolled up Bob ,like putting makeup on her for the prom .lol joe
Old May 12, 2012, 06:50 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,818 Posts
Wing & Elev. Service Walkways

I masked off the wing and elevator walkways that were a darker color so the maintainance mechanics did not walk all over the wing and cause damages to the skin. You can see the blue painters tape masking the light blue to be painted. The color is dark blue almost like the tape color.

In the 2nd picture with tape removed on the 2 parts it came out good but looked to strong of a dark blue image. I gave it a light overspray with the lighter blue and it tamed it down to a nice softer color. Not shown in the pictures. I got the plug in wings almost all panel lined. The blue walkways have a flat black edge which looks neat. I am duplicating a image drawing showing these lines and also in a picture. I am now on the center wing. The tail is done. Looks like a few more days drawing and shading lines.

**Neons**Bob
Old May 18, 2012, 02:54 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,818 Posts
Paint Progress

I have been working the lines and about 3/4s of the way done. I have a show at the local airport tomorrow with my club and I will be showing the Mars and some others as a work in progress. I had to make my own portholes and stars as my printer is down over a week already. I use Frisket paper and it was not too bad. It is time consuming way to do it too.

I still have to do numbers on the tailfins when my printer is up. Maybe in a couple days I can do it. I also have to get some dummy motors from Steve at Parkflyer Plastics. i think that is the name. Maybe a little light weathering and exhaust streaks too. If I get some pictures tomorrow I'll post some.
**Neons** Bob
Old May 18, 2012, 03:10 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,139 Posts
Cool.
warhead_71 is online now Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old May 18, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,422 Posts
Niiiice neons , i bet you get a good crowd standing around her at your airport show tomorow. The decals i let callie do on every thing of mine .All my vinal for my solent was 28 bucks including shipping and i still have dash parts extra doors and portholes left over. Its not worth my time to do it when iam done trying to do mine callies still looks better. joe
Old May 18, 2012, 06:13 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,818 Posts
Thanks Joe and Warhead. Sure should be interesting day tomorrow. Our feature event will be spotlighted with an Honorary WWII Veteran Navy pilot talking about his service back then. He is 92 YOA and flew the Kingfishers and Hellcats. He is a member of our club and a very interesting guy too.
**Neons** Bob
Old May 19, 2012, 03:27 AM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
She's a beauty Bob,

You're going to be the star of the event and you deserve it, have almost finished my wooden intermezzo job on the bench, built a Cigar Box Guitar to help remember our last year's Mississipi trip, back to planes soon.
rawy is online now Find More Posts by rawy
Old May 19, 2012, 04:33 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,724 Posts
Looks great !!!

Greets,

Bart
Bart83 is offline Find More Posts by Bart83
Old May 19, 2012, 10:53 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,818 Posts
Rawy and Bart. Thanks. I had a very nice day with a rated 10 for weather. I loaded up my truck with 7 planes. 6 were all scratchbuilt E-power foam and composite construction. I had my Emily and Mars as the biggest planes. Then I also brought 2 1/6th scale Bf-109G-6, FW 190D-9, and smaller Kawasaki Ki45 Nick, and Grumman Hu-16a Albatros boat. I small GWS Warthog also. You can see the little placards in front of my group of planes

I had them all lined up in the Flag circle we were assigned. I think we had over 8K people show up there today. Our club did a phenomenal appearance. There were many nice planes there only allowed for static display. I am beat from all that sun which is what made the day. All my nice pictures are stuck in the camera memory and I can't extract them as I cannot find the wire. I forgot my SD card at home.
**Neons** Bob
Last edited by **neons**; May 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:54 PM
Student of Ivan
El Paso, Illinois
Joined Apr 2006
725 Posts
Bob,
Great job on the Mars! I'm sure it was the hit of the show. I remember how displays like this impressed me when I was a kid. Nice to know your club is getting such good exposure.

It really looks like you nailed the outline of the XPB2M-1. It really looks great.

Let us know if you get some flight video.

John
mountainman2442 is offline Find More Posts by mountainman2442
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:30 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,818 Posts
John
John, Thank You sir.. This was a great chance to give RC modeling a boost in our area. We had such good response to our presentations. I have my new model all paneled right now. Still have a little more to go on it. Summer season is reaching into my building now. I will post any videos right in this thread. You will be one of the first to see it right here. It will not be to far away before maiden.
**Neons** Bob
Old Jun 02, 2012, 03:43 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,427 Posts
Damn Bob,
I don't ever get over to this forum. But how did i miss this? Awesome build!!!!!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jun 02, 2012, 05:27 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,818 Posts
Hello J.
I am putting your thoughts into my plane. Thanks for your compliments and teachings. I am always following you around. I enjoy all your Build Logs. Love that A-1 Skyraider too. It is a pretty one. Great ideas going into it.
**Neons**Bob