HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:53 AM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
Very nice job Bob.

Was asking myself how I would do the vents on my FW190 cowl, most of the time the solution is simple but "hidden"

Thanks for sharing and keep them coming

rawy
rawy is offline Find More Posts by rawy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:10 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,870 Posts
Rawy,Thanks. My FW 190D-9 and Bf 109G-6 both have working inlets. They are small and the 190D is back some to be of much use. They are doing there work moving air though.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:04 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
Shes looking Really Good!!
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:41 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Bob ,John(mountainman) has the best way so far i have seen to make intake scoops post 116 and 120 on his solent build.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=682384&page=8 joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:13 PM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
In fact I meant the vent "ring" at the rear of the cowl, had seen J.Morgan's similar result but not how it was done.
For the scoops I would have done them as Joe's link shows but I like Bob's technique because the harder wood allows more realistic detail and the fact to work on the piece attached resumes the "searching under the bench" scene
My vent on the FW190D is functional cools the battery, the motor has enough cooling behind the cardboard radiator dummy was hesitating to have an active extraction leaving some of the rear cowl partly open.
Had scratchbuilt a Pilatus PC6 turbo and played with aluminium tubes as scalish extractors trying to reproduce some of the "whistle sound" the fullscale emits
rawy is offline Find More Posts by rawy
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:35 PM
United Kingdom, England, Wigan
Joined Jul 2011
766 Posts
Bob
your build is looking superb.. you have put some serious "hours in" to be so advanced in such a short space of time.

have you weighed it since you glassed and painted it?

just out of interest before all the radio and motors get installed
i had considered a mix of balsa and depron for my Sunderland build.. then decided to go all balsa cos.. balsa is so cheap!

David
how much is offline Find More Posts by how much
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:40 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,870 Posts
Keenan
Thanks, Don't get any ideas yet on another build.. you still have to finish and fly the present jet before the Ant. Saw your pics and it is coming along fine.

Joe, I was contemplating built up cowls but I did not want to spend the time and the use of balsa. There are at least a half dozen ways to do it. For me, carving out of wood was the easiest. It hasa good hard base and will not break easily. My way was fast. Just over an hour for 4 inlets on top. The bottom coolers are balsa and the same time also. I also could have made a plug and out of glass also. That air coming in over the top of the firewall gives a better circulation.

Rawy, I was thinking of adding a whistle to my FW-190 and the Bf-109 to get that supercharger sound they have. Such a nice sound on a real plane flyby. J. Morgan is my idol and Mentor. You will see many of his styles of building in my planes.

David, I weighed the plane and I am up around 11lbs with motors and battery right now. I have no fear of the weight. My "Emily" is 20 lbs. and a 100" wingspan. It is a higher wing loading by far. This plane will be under 15 lb. I just got my ESC's, 4 - 4mm shafts, a 6amp UBEC, and 4 - 4mm collets. Heavy little box. Thanks. Lots of hours. 12 hr days at times. Mostly about 8 hours is common though.
**Neons** Bob
Last edited by **neons**; Apr 28, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:42 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
im working on it (i got some Stuff to sell first though! )
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old May 03, 2012, 03:08 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,870 Posts
I got all 4 motors worked on and fitted. I had to remove all the threaded shafts and replace with solid straight shafts with some ground in modifications. it took over 4 hours for mods. They all are now collet prop adapters.

I have the bottom of the outer wings to epoxy now. The rudders and elevator has epoxy outside the rudders and the top of the elevator. The inside rudders and elevator bottoms will be polyurethane and glass cloth. They are less prone to damages. This will help keep the tail weight down some also.

The next sunny day I am going to put the finish blue on some parts. Saturday maybe.
**Neons** Bob
Last edited by **neons**; May 04, 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old May 09, 2012, 11:13 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,870 Posts
Have not forgot my build log. Very time consuming on the painting and sanding. I have all the blue done today. I am ready to do all the off white paint on the bottomsides. It may be another couple days of paint and sand some more.

I also am ready for panel lines to break up that solid blue. I like that part too. I lined up the motor shafts also with my bubble gauge I created. Got 2 sets of capacitors in the nacelles to protect the Esc's from problems also. 2 more to install in there. They are large. Bigger than they looked in the picture. They fit fine with air space too.

In the mean time paint, sand, paint, and sand some more.
**Neons** Bob
Old May 10, 2012, 08:44 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons** View Post
Have not forgot my build log. Very time consuming on the painting and sanding. I have all the blue done today. I am ready to do all the off white paint on the bottomsides. It may be another couple days of paint and sand some more.

I also am ready for panel lines to break up that solid blue. I like that part too. I lined up the motor shafts also with my bubble gauge I created. Got 2 sets of capacitors in the nacelles to protect the Esc's from problems also. 2 more to install in there. They are large. Bigger than they looked in the picture. They fit fine with air space too.

In the mean time paint, sand, paint, and sand some more.
**Neons** Bob
I would get mine wet sanded looking good and look at it again in the light and see another ridge and have to sand some more. lol joe
Old May 10, 2012, 11:46 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,870 Posts
Base Finish Coats On

Spent the day mostly spraying and sanding the off white color. The original colors had a white bottom. I have to do a little more touch up tomorrow on the white. I am trying to locate some graphic ink pens that will not skip on the paint when I draw the panel lines. There is an ingrediant that makes it skip in the paint. I had those problems on my other plane last year.
**Neons**Bob
Old May 11, 2012, 03:52 AM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,414 Posts
Bob your a true craftsman, Looks great, Can't wait to see this one in person.

Bruce
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
Old May 11, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Looking good bob cant wait for the maiden. joe
Old May 11, 2012, 07:20 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,870 Posts
Bruce, hope to have it on the N B Airport Day.

Joe, flight is still off some time yet.

Got some pens and they started out good then died after some panel line footage.
**Neons**Bob