SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:46 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,884 Posts
Wing Sheeting Done

After a few days on the sheeting of the wings I am relieved now that all the components on the Mars is 98% done. Smaller items to do after the plane is primed. I got my new cowlings to fit perfect and they look great. I have to mount the motors and cowl screws soon. I am going to assemble the plane maybe tomorrow for an outdoor shoot out in my yard. Watch for the prefinish pictures. This is now getting into the final work stage for painting now. I first have the epoxy/cloth to do. Depron is very prone to rash. 4 days short of 2 months up to here in the build
**Neons** Bob.
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:42 AM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,414 Posts
Looks great Bob, May be taking the bike for a ride tomorrow (Sunday) with the girlfriend up to the field for a little ride in the sun. Looks great and I can't wait to see this one.

Bruce
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:54 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,884 Posts
Unfinished - All Assembled

Got the pictures. Not too sunny today. Nice day though. The plane parts are just stuck on. The plane with the cowlings, motors, props, and a large 1lb batterry is just over 10 lbs now. It will climb more with the finish coats, servos, short wires, and reciever. I am satisfied so far. I like the closeness of the CG with 1 battery so far. This what I can do in 2 months.
**Neons** Bob
Last edited by **neons**; Apr 15, 2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:44 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,774 Posts
That's impressive!
TripleW is online now Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:52 PM
United Kingdom, England, Wigan
Joined Jul 2011
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
That's impressive!
yep!

can't add anything else to that statement

looking superb Bob

David
how much is online now Find More Posts by how much
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:42 PM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
Very Nice Bob !

This one is going to turn heads at the lake with it's majestic appearance !

rawy is offline Find More Posts by rawy
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:43 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,982 Posts
Nice , cant wait to see how it wil be painted.

Greets,

Bart
Bart83 is online now Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:21 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
That's impressive!
took the words out me Mouth!

So thats what ya looked like (put a face to the name)
bit awkward talking to an extreme led'd bike
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:09 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,884 Posts
Than You all.
Just a few answers to some questions.

K Smith- This would make a Antonov build style. It is pretty strong once sheeted.

Bart. I like painting. That is the fun part that I am enthused about. Airbrush water base paint all the way.

Triple, I am impressed also/

Rawy. Head turner? I think you are right. Especially when I have 2 big boats like this at the lake.

How Much - David. Your plane is getting there also. Very nice work.

I am taking a well deserved break maybe tomorrow to get some regular plane flying in now.

**Neons** Bob
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:08 AM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,849 Posts
im startin my ant very soon just gotta fix the triple 7 nose and finish up wiring
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Apr 2011
20 Posts
Wow Bob... for me it's crazy to see something like that come about totally 100% build from scratch... and basically by design.

Very Impressive... can't wait to see this first hand and see it fly.. or video. Your going to have to have this at the field one day so I can show a bunch of the kids from the Boys & Girls Club.

GREAT Job!

- Mike
mvaller00 is offline Find More Posts by mvaller00
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:10 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,884 Posts
Hi Mike. Thanks for your praise. I do not know when I may show this plane after it is done. It is just open for now. Let the kids know that the next event I know of is at the New Bedford Airport, Saturday, May 19th. They will have a good chance to see many model planes on static display. I have not decided yet what to bring. Maybe I will see you there. Our group will have plenty of time to talk about planes. They will not let anyone fly models.

**Neons** Bob
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:50 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,884 Posts
Firewall Setup

Today I did some work on the plane after working on a couple other flight repairs and painting. The dual firewalls and the motor mounts all were secured. I used 6 screws to hold the outer firewall in place. There is plenty of room behind that firewall. After it is glassed there is an intake air scoop on top of the nacelle that will help get more air flow inside also. Then I installed wood blocks for 3 cowling screws. Blow the pic up in size with another click on the picture and you can see the screws.

I ordered 4 new ESC,s as I only have 3 here and a matching fourth cannot be replaced as they are not in stock. The motor shafts have to be changed to solid 4mm shafts and with 4 collets. I do not trust these props with small nuts holding them tightly. Not so good with 2 motors going the opposite direction with the thread. They could fly off. I was able to sand the plane and do some Lite Spackling today. I will be glassing the bottom first.
**Neons** Bob
Last edited by **neons**; Apr 19, 2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:02 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,207 Posts
Just amazing that this is a scratch build...

having been lucky enough to see and feel a real Mars, I am Very much looking forward to your first flight, you are a Champ, the spirit of this miracle aircraft is kept alive.

Tim in Oakland
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:20 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,884 Posts
Tim
What a nice compliment you offered me. Thanks. I am very happy that you were very fortunate to actually be right on the site of the actual working Mars JRM Water Tankers. Must be great to actually be there when the engines rev up and get into flight. This is basically the same plane. The JRM in most respects had some major updated changes. This one will be the X version which for some reason I do not think it has been RC modeled before. At least I can't find info on any built yet.
**Neons** Bob