HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:33 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,712 Posts
Starting to mount and test the motors. The ESC's need to be changed to make the timing work better. Getting exactly 10 amps from the motors (static) which should be perfect because they will unload slightly in flight. I am using 9X5 3 bladed contra-rotating sets that look nice and scale like. They will look better when I change them to silver metalizer.

Designed the nacelle vacuum forming plug in 3D CAD and a friend is going to print it on his 3D printer so I can sand it smooth and vac form right over it.

I work in technology and I am amazed at what can be done from CAD systems.

Dave
payne9999 is offline Find More Posts by payne9999
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:02 AM
Airliner Builder
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,986 Posts
Is there a specific CAD program you are using? I really want to get into scratch building using CAD for the plans/laser parts (and give me something to fiddle with while I'm procrastinating on my latest build) but there are so many out there...the 3D printer idea for the cowling is interesting, looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Ethan
WAGliderGuy is online now Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:08 AM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGliderGuy View Post
Is there a specific CAD program you are using? I really want to get into scratch building using CAD for the plans/laser parts (and give me something to fiddle with while I'm procrastinating on my latest build) but there are so many out there...the 3D printer idea for the cowling is interesting, looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Ethan
I am using SolidWorks but it is really expensive. I have it because I am an engineer and had to buy it for my consulting activities.

However, there are a number of free or lower cost packages out there. The cowling printout will be used as a master form for the vacuum forming process.

There is a guy also building a super scale DC-6B at 100". It is a thread you should read thru because there is a lot of documentation that is useful but it is a long read (80 pages I think). He is almost finished....hand built retracts landing lights that rotate out into position real flap mechanism etc. Just amazing:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1116302

Dave
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:24 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,712 Posts
Got the wing assembly about done. All wiring is complete and motors tested. The motors are running right where they should be at 9.5 amps (rated 10 amps max) turning 9X5 3 bladed props. The gear fits just right and are operating nicely. I just need to get the nav lights and put them in. Got the flap modification cut in as well.

Will be starting the horizontal tail assembly soon. I am planning to have the rudder and elevator linkages hidden inside the fuselage. There seems to be plenty of room.

Dave

Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:53 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,712 Posts
Landing lights and wingtip nav lights and strobes installed. I went with the more modern version of lighting on the wing tips (the strobes look steady in the picture but they do flash).

Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:31 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,712 Posts
Fuselage substructure is complete and it is really rigid.

Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:02 PM
pilot
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Mar 2007
124 Posts
nice
jeffh22037 is offline Find More Posts by jeffh22037
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:01 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,712 Posts
Fuselage is coming along nicely, I love putting the stringers on because it really starts to take shape.

Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:18 PM
Airliner Builder
Joined Feb 2010
1,986 Posts
Excellent progress! I'm still waiting for news from National Balsa on my order I placed 2 weeks ago...

Have you chosen a color scheme?

Ethan
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:36 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Excellent progress! I'm still waiting for news from National Balsa on my order I placed 2 weeks ago...

Have you chosen a color scheme?

Ethan
Ethan,

Thinking about the same "MATS" rescue markings. I have a bunch of chrome Ultracote and I think it looks more like aluminum than the aluminum color.

There aren't a lot of color choices for the DC-6 in military schemes. In civilian there are a lot but many of them are aluminum with color accents. I really like the Red Bull one and there are a lot of photos for reference.

Have you decided on your DC-6 colors?

Dave
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:24 AM
Airliner Builder
Joined Feb 2010
1,986 Posts
I am pretty locked on Everts Air Cargo's N151 (-6B converted freighter). The fuselage is white and I could use dark blue microlite or Parklite blue on the vertical stab. Do you think the Parklite silver will work for the wings? With all the dirt and and weathering though it probally won't matter How did you do the exhuast smears on your 60'' DC-6? Usually I just smear marker but this is alot more area to cover with different shades of black and brown.

My E-flite retracts came and it looks like I will just be able to squeeze them into the wings. Will have to reverse the nose wheel though and mount it at a weird angle to get the steering arm horizontal with the steering arm. How do you plan to mount the nose gear retract?

(my new desktop backround)

Older livery with "Air Cargo Express"

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot....net%252F&ref=

Ethan
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:41 AM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,712 Posts
Quote:
I am pretty locked on Everts Air Cargo's N151 (-6B converted freighter). The fuselage is white and I could use dark blue microlite or Parklite blue on the vertical stab. Do you think the Parklite silver will work for the wings? With all the dirt and and weathering though it probally won't matter How did you do the exhuast smears on your 60'' DC-6? Usually I just smear marker but this is alot more area to cover with different shades of black and brown.

My E-flite retracts came and it looks like I will just be able to squeeze them into the wings. Will have to reverse the nose wheel though and mount it at a weird angle to get the steering arm horizontal with the steering arm. How do you plan to mount the nose gear retract?

(my new desktop backround)

Older livery with "Air Cargo Express"

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot....net%252F&ref=

Ethan
Ethan,

I think the aluminum Parklite and Midnight blue Parklite is your best option.

I don't understand what you mean about the nose gear. I think it can be mounted to retract forward up into the nose cone area. The steering looks like it will work fine either direction. However because the steering arm is so low on the retract mechanism it would probably be best to have a second servo for steering rather than trying to make a linkage to the rudder servo. I will be using a second servo myself but like the other servos in the plane it will be light (9 grams).

Dave
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:04 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,712 Posts
Here is the plane with the wing temporarily mounted. I need to get to work on the tail assemblies.

Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:36 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,712 Posts
Started to cover the wing assembly and I did a power run up test. The power system seems to be performing well on a 3S 3800 I am getting almost exactly 400 watts at 34 amps. This is well within the safe operating perameters of the ESC's and the 300 size brushless motors.

The only problem is a resonance that starts at about 85% throttle and gets worse as I approach 100%. I think this is a structure resonance because exactly the same thing happens with the 60" version. The original design was for geared motors that would run lower prop rpm's so it was probably not a problem with the original models that were built to spec.

I need to carefully balance the props to make sure I am not making it worse. However, if this plane is anything like the original it will fly at 50-60% throttle and WOT will not be needed.

Dave

Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:49 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,712 Posts
Received the cowlings today from Parkflyer Plastics. Sparky is the man!

The parts fit perfect and are nice and strong.

http://www.parkflyerplastics.com/cart/

Also received graphics from Callie to fit this scale. I normally use water-slide but they just aren't so durable and I fly a lot which means transporting the airplane and things just have to be durable for me.

http://www.calligraphics.info/