HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:17 PM
Now Compressing Air
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Jan 2010
449 Posts
Question
Predator II vs. Predator III

I posted this over in the slope section, but it was suggested I might try the Multi Task F3X section also.

Through some searches I found some info from P1 to P2, but not P2 to P3.

Does anyone know what the changes are between the rcrcm P2 and P3?
Thanks,
GS
Gear Swinger is offline Find More Posts by Gear Swinger
Last edited by Gear Swinger; Feb 18, 2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: I can't speeell
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:39 AM
Joined Sep 2007
188 Posts
I have a PII and P3.

The P3 has some more degrees dihedral (angle) in the joiner, and the fuselage
may have a diffent mould to cope with this, but I am not 100% sure.

The way the wings are moulded is better and stiffer than the previous PII.

Also the flaps follow all the way to the fuselage, which it did not at the PII.

As far as I can see, no weight reduction have been done. I have not flown the P3 yet, so I am curious if the more dihedral is for better or worse.
krvedaa is online now Find More Posts by krvedaa
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:27 AM
Now Compressing Air
Joined Jan 2010
449 Posts
Thanks Krvedaa. Having both versions you have a great perspective on the differences. There really is not alot of information out there that I could find. This helps. I hope your maiden goes well.

GS
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:58 PM
Impatience is a virtue
Denver, Colorado
Joined Nov 2008
676 Posts
I seem to recall reading in one of the Predator posts that the changes included:
- new stab airfoil
- changes to the fuse; PIII thinner?

The designer of the PII / III was an active participant in the threads, so you may want to check them out.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=945231
MCH27t is online now Find More Posts by MCH27t
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:13 PM
Leicestershire
Joined Sep 2006
1,184 Posts
As far as I was aware, the P3 simply represented a change in construction.

The P2 had the dihedral change, fuse change, new tails w revised section etc.

Generally the P3 is a step forward in construction, and very much so in the wing construction.

Z
Zimodile is offline Find More Posts by Zimodile
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:26 PM
Now Compressing Air
Joined Jan 2010
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimodile View Post
As far as I was aware, the P3 simply represented a change in construction.

Z
Z That is what I was wondering.

From reading the thread MCH27t linked to the other day, I could see the changes listed with the longer and slimmer fuse, tail section airfoils and cant, and the dihedral (P1 to P2).

So with what krvedaa pointed out about the flaps continuing to the root and stiffer wings, plus your addition of changes in construction/technique that narrows it down to what the P3 is about.

Thanks for the input and answering my question.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:57 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,435 Posts
I have a P3 and its comparable on the slope to my Ceres. And DS it felt more solid.

Mine has aviogate labelled on the bottom of wing though ?
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AlpineDSacro; Feb 20, 2012 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Info
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:34 AM
Leicestershire
Joined Sep 2006
1,184 Posts
Yes it was still built be RCRCM, but to Aviogates construction method. They continue to use this method as far as I am aware.

Z
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:22 AM
Joined Sep 2007
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimodile View Post
Yes it was still built be RCRCM, but to Aviogates construction method. They continue to use this method as far as I am aware.

Z
will Aviogate sell this plane? I don't see it on their website.

Cedric,
ced_toulouse is offline Find More Posts by ced_toulouse
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Ojective: TAIWAN!!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:48 AM
Leicestershire
Joined Sep 2006
1,184 Posts
They had a short-lived collaboration with RCRCM, but it didn't last long!

Z
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Sep 2007
188 Posts
P3 Eagle Maiden

Had the best ever maiden of new planes with my new P3. This eagle hated my prescense.....

http://vimeo.com/38279067
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:43 PM
Now Compressing Air
Joined Jan 2010
449 Posts
Nice. That is a big bird.

My P3 is on the bench. Did you use any different throw settings other than what has been published and what was your CG for maiden?

Thanks.
GS
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Sep 2007
188 Posts
I flew the first Predators coming out of the factory at 112mm. I know some flew
them fine with CG at 115mm.

But for the PII, and also P3 they seem that it should not be that aft with the CG.

After some experimenting, mine felt OK with Cg at 107mm. It sounds strange, I thought the main wing would be the deceisive factor for the Cg, they have remained the same shape since Gudmund Malones designed the shape, only internals, and all way going flap to the fuselage have changed in the wing, together with slimmer, longer in nose fuselage, V-tails and dihedral in the wing joiner.

But the tail is quite different for PII and P3 to the previous versions, maybe that is an explanation?
Maybe some with more knowledge than me can shed more light on that?

Otherwise, the setting showing on the RCRCM site should be OK, except I also needed to be more conservative on the throw for the elevator. In normal flight, I use 8mm up, and 6 down (measured at the root of the V-tail). When saying normal, I have a tree way dual rate swicth, and this setting is in the middle. Barely use the one with less, and the one with most throw, just during landing.

I also deviate from the fabric setting for the butterfly (brakes ) ), flaps as much as I can (85 degrees) and ailerons 8mm up, elevator compensation 4,5mm down on maximum.

Aileron throw, max up 12mm (sanded wipers so aileron can travel total 18mm up, to have some aileron response, when butterfly exploited, measured on the wingtip), max down, 6mm, also here a three way switch dual rate. I let flap go only up with aileron, 4.5mm, (measured at wing root) for me that works best in keeping smooth turns. I also noticed that mixing a bit rudder working with aileron makes it turn faster and nicer. Approx. 1,5mm, but I put this on a knob, so I may regulate how much the mix shall give, and this during flight..

I noticed at the maiden, that my elevator compensation on landing with butterfly weren't enough, so I had to land with quite much down on the elevator stick, on the second throw, I dialed in some more and it was fine. But putting in a knob regulating the elevator compensation while deploying butterfly or crow, can do the first landing less nervous. Just something I thought of, could be nice.

Also snap flap (ailerons, flaps going down while pulling elevator), make you able to do tight turns, start with 5-7mm, and feel what works.
Measured flaps at wing root, ailerons to blend with flaps. This could also be mixed on an adjustable knob, slider, to decide how much or less is working best. This function is an idea to be able to turn on / off on a switch.

This is working for me, but maybe you will not like these setting, it is only a subjective advice as a starter which you can work on.

Hope anyway this info may be handy.
Last edited by krvedaa; Mar 12, 2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: adding info
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:24 PM
Now Compressing Air
Joined Jan 2010
449 Posts
krvedaa,

Thank you for taking the time to share your settings and what you have done a little differently. I know that these things boil down to personal preference but it is nice to know what others are using.

GS
Old Apr 08, 2012, 03:08 AM
Now Compressing Air
Joined Jan 2010
449 Posts
I got mine in the air last weekend and have been working on tuning it. I started out with the CG at 107. The elevators were showing some up trim, so I started sliding it back. At 110 it felt real solid but still showing some up elevator deflection. I am currently at 115mm and it is a little more pitchy but everything is in alignment and inverted is hands off. Here is some footage from some test flights today at 115mm. This footage is without flaperon, snap flap and aileron differential. Lot's of rudder coupling. Wind 8-12 mph. This is my first 3 meter and I am having fun.

GS

P3 Test Flight (1 min 5 sec)