HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:24 PM
Just Limin'
United States, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined Nov 2008
1,373 Posts
The dust particles sanded out easily using my polishing cloths, but I wasn't happy with the finish and gave it another light coat.

I also spent time today working on the framing and started the hatch assembly. Fairly straight forward for the most part, but I find at times Dumas' instructions to be a little lacking in exactly what they are asking you to do.

After re-reading them several times, looking at Pat's book and what he did and reading what he did, plus several threads on the build here on this forum, I have been able to figure it out.

Two new pics from today. After all that sanding and polishing of the side panels, it feels good to have CA on the fingers again

Scott
laser110 is online now Find More Posts by laser110
Last edited by laser110; Mar 23, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:04 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,373 Posts
Had the opportunity to go to see Rich at MACK Products today. Always enjoy chatting with him and he always has the parts I need in stock. Just a prop today and some misc small items.

When I got home I took some time to work on the footrest that will in the front cockpit. Dumas suggests painting the outside of it silver to recreate the frame it sits in. I decdied to go one more step and actually make a frame. I did so using "L" peices from Plastruct to make the frame and then coated it in silver foil, the kind used to seal up air ducts. Once done I put in the foot rest, which I had previously painted black, inside the frame. The result is the picture below.

Scott
Last edited by laser110; Mar 24, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 08:31 PM
United States, NE, Grand Island
Joined Dec 2009
218 Posts
I have a question for you boat experts.....
In the USA the steering wqheel is on the right side, opposite of our cars.....
In Australia the steering wheel is on the left side, opposite their cars.
Why is this?
Sorry
Jim
Jim409 is offline Find More Posts by Jim409
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,779 Posts
JIM- It is basically a builder preference as to which side the steering wheel was on. There are any number of American manufacturers who had both left hand or right hand steering stations. Some cruisers models had the steering station in the center. Chris Craft (basic right hand location), Higgins (basic left hand), in speed boats.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Mar 26, 2012, 04:44 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,373 Posts
Spent time yesterday and today installing the running gear. After marking out the slot and cutting the hull ( alwasy makes me nervious) I was able to fit the stuffings tube and struct in place. Taking time to line things up, I soent about 2 hours checking and rechecking my alignment. Finally, I taped down the strut and used some CA to secure the stuffings tube. Once I was satified that was secure, I went back and screwed down the strut.

Next, it was time to tape around the stuffings tube on the outside of the hull and mix some epoxy resin. I filled the area, but due to some overfill, was worried I got some in the tube. An overnight dry revealed a tight fit and nothing was out of alignment. I did get a little bit of epoxy in the tube, which was easily knocked out.

The motor is perfectly aligned with the shaft but due to the angle I have slight bend in my connector. It's not too bad, everything spins freely, so I am not overly concerned. The rudder hole was drilled next and the rudder fitted in to place.

For me this was my biggest worry on this project. Now that it's doen i can relax some.

Just one pic once the entire assembly was done.

Scott
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:47 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,373 Posts
Another day and more work. I spent some time today making sure the motor, shaft and prop I installed yesterday worked. Hooking them up to a battery the motor sprang to life and worked like a charm. Then I realized that because of the shallow angle I have on the shaft, the end of the coupler was rubbing slightly on the butterfly keel, It was making it hot and actually burning the wood! No issue. I took out my Dremel and slow and carefully etched a grrove into the keel, making sure not to punch through. Just a few passes and the issue was fixed. One of the things I love about building boats is solving issues like this. Taking a problem, studying it, coming up with a solution and then seeing that solution work.

I adjusted the height of the motor to once again make sure I had a staright run and then decided to use some fairing compound as bedding material. Mixing up some I laid it into the hull and then pushed my motor mount into the wet compound setting it at the right height and angle. Some minor adjustments, a reconnection of the motor and shaft and some time to dry. As expected, it holds well and the compound helps deaden some of the vibrations.

I also decided to do a floatation test to make sure I had no holes from the stuffing tube installation and to be sure I sealed any opening well with the epoxy. Filled the domestic test tank and set the boat in. All good around the stuffing tube and I I wanted to be sure areas inaccessable once the planking goes on around the bow area were also well sealed. They too passed. I did however find one hole, in the transome lower left corner. Some CA from the inside quickly fixed this and it will eventually be covered by planking and epoxy, so no real worries. She's watertite and ready to go.

Next step is to finish the building off the hatch tonight. Tomorrow I'll finally install the side panels in the forward and rear cockit, along with the cockpit floor.

Scott
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:06 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,373 Posts
After not working on this for what seemed like an eternity, I got back to work tonight. Last week/end was super busy for me. I had my High School 20th Reunion and while it was cool to see everyone, I didn't want to shake hands with paint or CA residue on them. Monday and Tuesday were self imposed building bans. I had job Interviews both Tuesday morning and Today, again I didn't want to go into them with paint and CA left over on me.

This evening I got back to work. First, I finished off the forward cockpit and glued all the parts in place. Once satisfied with how it looks I moved on the aft cockpit and again gluds the parts in that I have spent so much time on varnishing and finishing off. I decied to leave the servo tray out. I am probably going to use a mini servo in this area and not 100% sure how it will mounted. If I decide later I need the tray, I can alwasy use it and put it back in. For now, I decided to leave it out.

Once the cockpits were done, I moved on to finishing the hull and applying the subdeck. I am glad here I had Pat's book to refer too and used his suggestion of starting towards the middle and working my way out the sides. They actually went on easier than I expected. I had to do some slight trimming around the hatch area to be sure it fitted back in properly, but nothing major. I'll let everything set up over night. Tomorrow I'll trim the edges and will fill/fair and spots that look like they need it. Amazing to see how the boat suddenly looks like a Chris, even without the mahognay on it yet. I can already imagine it zipping across the lake.

Scott
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:04 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,373 Posts
A day of sticky fingers and then dust. I finally had time to go purchase some more CA and kicker to finish on planking my hull. I spent a few hours this afternoon putting the planks on and then more time sanding them smooth. Attached are 2 pics. I am fairly happy with how they look now, but will rest a bit and come back to it later to see if I missed any spot, or see id I see one that requires more attention. Then I'll fill the gaps with filler and give it one final sanding before moving on.

The wet spot on the hull isn't dried glue residue, I wiped down the hull prior to taking the pic with a wet rag to remove the dust and it hadn't fully dired when I took the pictures.

Scott
Last edited by laser110; Apr 13, 2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:25 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,373 Posts
Haven't had much time to work on this boat lately and I also accidently broke one of the coverboards. I decided I would order the stand from Dumas since I was calling about a replacement coverboard and they both arrived via Fed Ex the other day. Progress to date is the coverboards on. Hull has been sanded and faired, ant spots that needed filling were done and then a coat of stain was applied. I wnated to do the sides and coverboards prior to the deck going on since I am using two different colors on the coverboards and decking.

Some pics with recent progress.

Scott
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:14 PM
Woodfumbler......
Copenhagen. Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
1,208 Posts
Looking goode
Sharky1dk is offline Find More Posts by Sharky1dk
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:34 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,373 Posts
Thanks. I am in no rush, so just taking my time.

I think I may try to readjust my motor, not happy with the current angle. Looking forward to getting the deck done. It's actually been chilly here the last week or so, so hoping to finish the deck in the next week and then have it warm up enough to start the epoxy work.

Scott
Last edited by laser110; Apr 26, 2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:38 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,373 Posts
For anyone who is following this thread, I started on the deck on Sunday. Got on about half of it and it looks really good. I ran out of kicker for the CA and after a few hours of cutting and shaping planks I was fatigued and figured it would be a good time to stop. One of the things I am doing difeerently is planking the area between the front cockpit and the hatch. The instructions tell you use peice P5, which is just a peice of mahogany cut to the width and the apprximate length before final trimming. I found a few pics of 19' racing Chris' that had this area planked as well. It really is no big deal, the scrap I am getting from cutting the plastic strips and the planks fit easily in this area and then will sanded to shape.

Got more kicker today and will hopefully do some more work tomorrow and finish up the deck. Then I'll sand, finish the transom and start on fiberglass and epoxy sometime next week.

Pictures of the work so far.

Scott
Last edited by laser110; Apr 30, 2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:08 PM
Albany NY
Joined Nov 2008
87 Posts
Looks great Scott! Following this build closely.

John
Hatchet Jack is offline Find More Posts by Hatchet Jack
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:27 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,316 Posts
I'm watching.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old May 02, 2012, 04:11 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,373 Posts
Thanks for the support guys. I finished planking the deck today. I am glad I stopped when I did the otherday. The next sections required alot more time and patience as I had to sand and shape peices to fit. Think it came out pretty good. Here are few shots prior to me trimming the excess around the cockpit openings and the opening for the hatch. As you can see on the table the hatch itself has been planked too.

Scott