Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:05 PM
Just Limin'
United States, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Question on what guys who have built this boat or any mahogany boat use for filler? I want to start filling for the forward and rear cockpit side panels that I laminated with mahogany planks. I was in both Home Depot and Lowe's today ad couldn't find mahogany wood filler.

Obviously the same filler used here will be used later on the sides and deck of the boat.

Scott
laser110 is offline Find More Posts by laser110
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:28 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Sanded the bow peice today and also bought some stain. I went to Lowes and decided to go with the red oak stain. When I got home I was looking over some other build threads and see Pat Tritle also used the red oak stain. I was going to stain the whole boat, but it looks like he only did the sides and covering boards and used the kit supplied stain for the rest of the deck. Haven't decided yet, what I am going to do, but that is an nice option.

I finished the side boards for both the front and back cockpit and stained each with the red oak stain. I'll start varnishing them tomorrow prior to their installation, probably do between 7-9 coats of varnish. Just one pic.

Scott
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:15 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined May 2011
47 Posts
I did the same as Tritle and I have to say I really like the contrast of the red oak with the stain that comes with. It looks hazy and orange when you put it on but looks great when covered with epoxy. Test some on some scrap planks and you will see what I mean. Experiment with different amounts of the stain before putting on the epoxy. The epoxy is key to see the final result.
qualls6 is offline Find More Posts by qualls6
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:30 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Qualls thanks for the feedback. I stained the cockpit side sides and started today with the varnish. I like how the stain adds a little color, but you can still see the golden tones of the mahogany come through.

Scott
Old Mar 07, 2012, 02:48 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
I am awaiting for Evercoat Glazing Putty to come into my local West Marine, should hopefully have it Friday, so in the mean time I've been doing work on other parts of the boat. The rudder has been shaped and soldiered to the post as per the instructions. I also have been spending time on varnishing the forward and rear cockpit side boards. There are 7 coats on there now, probably 1-2 coats will be needed.

Once the putty comes in I'll fair out the sides and then proceed with the top deck supports etc.

I have also been spending some time polishing the gear shift handle by hand so it will look nice and shiney

Just 2 pics, enjoy.

Scott
Last edited by laser110; Mar 07, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:29 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
227 Posts
It's nice to see another of these being built. The U-tube link below shows what you have to look forward to. My boat is powered by a 2000Kv brushless motor which gives it a fair turn of speed. You may notice that the deck planks are wider than shown on the plan, the result of not reading the instructions. I had used all the narrow planks on the hull before I realised my mistake . I will follow your build with interest.
Jeremy
ChrisCraft.wmv (1 min 11 sec)
JeremyBB is offline Find More Posts by JeremyBB
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:12 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Jeremy,

Thanks for posting the video. Alwasy good to see what the end goal would look like. Can you post some still shots of your boat?

I am still waiting for the Evercoat Glazing Putty to come into West Marine. They recived it, but it had no hardner. The store manager said he would give me hardner from the store that they had in stock. It was a much bigger tube, but he said he was ok with that. I went to pick it all up and the hardner was the white hardner, not the blue. The purpose of the blue is so you can tell when everyhting is mixed up properly. Thye said they would reorder it and I should have it this week.

In the mean time I have been doing work on other parts of the boat. I went today to the local library and made photo copies of the templates so i don't have to cut out my original sheet. I also bought some basswood to make the motormounts from. The instructions say use balsa, but like Pat mentions in his book and I wholeheartily agree, it's better to use a little bit harder wood. The mounts will be cut out and then sealed with epoxy resin to add more strength. I also drilled the block where the rudder shaft will go through hull.

Varnish Coat # 9 went on the forward and rear cockpit panels today. They look good, when dries it might be time to buff and polish them out to an even looking finish.

Finally, I sprayed the inside of the boat with a deep red color. I have been doing research on real Chris' and most, if not all, were coated inside with a deep red. I sprayed the interior today with this color, hoping to achieve reaching areas not accessable once the boat is built, but may be visible. One of the modifications I am thinking of doing is after I build and install the hatch, splitting it into and mounting it with piano hinge so it can open. Anyone know where I can get a replica engine to mount in there? I am thinking I may have to go to the hobby shop, but a car kit and raid it.

Scott
Last edited by laser110; Mar 14, 2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:18 PM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
965 Posts
Just wanted you to know I'm another one watching your build. I just picked up this kit and am looking forward to building it. I've got another r/c boat project to finish up first before I can start, but I'm looking forward to it!

One delightful surprise I received upon getting the kit was finding out it was a laser cut kit! I didn't know that. In fact, a bad experience with previous "die-crunched" Dumas kits is what had kept me away from building it for so long. I sure have read the information on it closer long ago. Doh!

I belong to the Indianapolis Admirals R/C Model Boat Club (www.indyadmirals.org) and there are two of these Dumas kits built and running in our club already.

I like all of the Chris-Craft type wooden boats, but this particular model is the best looking, best proportions of them all as far as I'm concerned.

Scott
HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:25 PM
Joined Apr 2006
965 Posts
Can you post the link to the Pat Trittle build? I built his Wendigo Scuba Diving Boat last year. It was a nice design based upon a real boat. It is built with Sintra PVC like the Dumas Chris Craft runabout, but then it is just painted over that. No wood on the Wendigo. Its more of a working boat.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Apr 2006
965 Posts
Here's something you might find cool for your runabout. I'm going to get them for mine. They appear perfect for the job! Is the length right?

here's a link to the item on the M.A.C.K. Products page: http://www.mackproductsrc.com/705-4_stays.htm

Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:43 AM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Scott,

Thanks for following along. I am still waiting for the glazing putty to come in so I have been doing some other work, I'll take and post pics soon.

The laser cut wood is a nice surprise. I wasn't sure what to expect, but having it laser cut does make it easier. I agree on the lines of the boat being some of the best by Chris Craft. I like how the boat is simple looking, yet complex all in one.

Nice looking Wendigo. I am not a fan of Sintra as a building material, but can definately see it's potential.

I saw those hatch holders you posted. MACK Products is about 30-40 minutes away from me and I went there to buy my boat. I also am using a MACK motor, strut, stuffing tube and shaft in my build. I need to also get the prop from Rich sometime in the future. I have thought about using the hatch holders too, but will see. I need to cut the hatch once it's done and righ tnow that means sourcing a person or place locally that has a powersaw( I am thinking band) to cut it for me.

Scott
Last edited by laser110; Mar 14, 2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:39 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Finally got my Glazing Putty today from West Marine, so I am all good there.

The coating of the side panels is almost done. Going to go over the surface with some fine paper to even out the slight bumps I have and then polish them with my polishng clothes, before a final coat of wax before installing then as per the instructions. Work on the motor mounts started and they'll probably be cut out to final shape tomorrow

Some new pics. You can see the inside painted red and the aft and forward cockpit side panels fitted in place to see how they look. I noticed along one edge of one panel I got some wrinkling. Looks like the previous coat there may have been a little thick and not fully dry beofre I put on the last coat. At first this worried me, but after dry fitting the panels realized this section will be hidden by the seat, so no reason to sweat it.

Enoy the pics.

Scott
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:28 AM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
227 Posts
Hi Scott

Your build is looking good. The red interior is a nice touch. Photos of my boat below. Looks OK on the water but the finish is nothing to write home about.

Jeremy
JeremyBB is offline Find More Posts by JeremyBB
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:47 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Jeremy,

Thanks for the encouraging words.Your finish looks fine. Did you do any staining?

Slow and steady is the build. I finished the motor mounts today. The mount is made up of basswod that is 4 plyed together to achieve the proper thickness. I am using a MACK 5045 motor instead of the one Dumas recommends. This means the mount s different. I cutout the motor mount template and then made up two mounts each made up of two ply of basswood, cutting and sanding each to it's final shape.

The motor mount has a square base that fits perfectly on the two mounts side by side, so I glued them together. Next I'll drill the holes to screw in the mount. Then the entire thing will get a few coats of epoxy resin to firm it up and add strength. I have some epoxy in the garage that the hardner has oxidiized. I don't want to use this for the final coats, as the red tinge may show through the finish, but it will be fine to coat and seal intertior parts.

The entire unit will then be used to help align the shaft, strut, and stuffings tube before everyhting is permantly epoxied into place.

Scott
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:27 AM
Archbald, PA
Joined Mar 2006
39 Posts
It floats!

Hers's mine in the 'test tank'. This is a quick kit, love that cintra.
bub9797 is offline Find More Posts by bub9797