HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Nov 2011
43 Posts
Discussion
SR-71 Blackbird Replacement

Do any of you have any idea of what airplane will replacement the SR-71 Blackbird
i read there were plans to build a new airplane called the Blackswift Swoops in 2008 and now in 2012 nothing
I also found this http://www.thelivingmoon.com/45jack_...paceplane.html saying all the airplane that can replace the SR-71 Blackbird but non have been built
kingofking1 is offline Find More Posts by kingofking1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3 Posts
Answer=nothing.

There is no need for an aircraft like the SR71 with drones and satellites.
davidka is offline Find More Posts by davidka
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:13 PM
Joined Nov 2011
43 Posts
there is always going to be a need for a airplane like the SR-71
firepower is not the only way to win a war you also need speed and that is what the SR-71 gave to us
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:47 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
899 Posts
Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidka View Post
Answer=nothing.

There is no need for an aircraft like the SR71 with drones and satellites.
I think Davidka is right especially when you can have real time updates instead waiting for the Blackbird to launch, fly its mission and return, process the film or download it's info into a computer.

Just my two cents worth.
dlazarus6660 is offline Find More Posts by dlazarus6660
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:22 PM
RCAPA #005
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
Satellite orbits are hard and expensive to modify, it's not like the movies where you just click on something and a satellite moves into position. The U2 is still in operation and there is one SR71 being flown for "research."
Having drones all over the place is the future-
MGBGTRacer is offline Find More Posts by MGBGTRacer
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:25 PM
Joined Nov 2011
43 Posts
yes and if you combined the two drones and the speed sr71 you get something no Satellite can beat
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:57 PM
Canada, AB, Red Deer
Joined Apr 2010
312 Posts
Hi kingofking. Yes, the SR-71 could go fast, but there is a whole lot more to consider than simply the all out speed. In fact, in the age of the drones that are available to the military, the SR-71 may actually take a lot longer to get the required pictures/data to those that need it, and has been rendered obsolete. Here is why I say this:

#1-The SR-71 could not just operate out of any airport. That means that there would be a certain amount of transit time from home base to the target. Due to design limits of the SR-71, this would also include at least one aerial refueling. Not to mention the time to brief the crews and prepare the aircraft....even before the takeoff.

#2-Considering point #1, even if the SR-71 was updated ($$$) to provide the same real time downlink for the data/video, the time to target might just be a whole lot more than a drone that could be flown from a remote operating base less than 100 miles from the target area. Even if the drone's base was 300 miles away, it could still get there sooner at 150mph than an SR-71 coming from halfway around the globe at mach 3. Especially once you factor in briefing, startup, launch, in-flight refuel, and then setting up the ingress to target.

#3-An SR-71 travelling at Mach 3 really only gives the equipment time for 1 pass over the target. A drone flying at a slower speed can orbit the target and provide more detailed, more up to date info for a longer period of time.

#4-A drone operating from a forward operating base close to the target could make multiple sorties over the target area in the same time an SR-71 could make one flight, one pass, and see ya again tomorrow

#5-Cost. An SR-71 has two VERY thirsty engines. Requires a minumum of 1 in-flight refueling, so now you also have a tanker out flying around to put gas into. Most drones have 1 modern, fuel efficient turbofan engine....much easier on gas!! And that is not even touching the money involved in keeping the old SR-71 airframes flyable.

Really, no matter how you look at it, the drones have every advantage over the poor ole' Blackbird. Sure, it could go Mach 3 at 60,000ft or something like that, but in the modern battlefield it is just not the right tool anymore. All out speed just is not the number one factor, that would be time. A couple drones operating from right close to the action is considerably faster and more economical tool to the military than one aircraft halfway around the world.
stardustertoo is offline Find More Posts by stardustertoo
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:53 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,812 Posts
May I point out that it's hard to hide an SR-71. The other side may not be able to shoot it down, but they can tell it's coming, and once it's gone, that it won't be back that quickly.

Also, putting a drone/UAS/RPV over a hot target risks only what should be a machine that can be sanitized (as the one we lost over Iran should have been). It doesn't risk putting an other "Gary Powers" into unfriendly hands.

I've seen, heard, and FELT the SR-71 taking off and landing, and I agree it's a magnificent machine, but I honestly believe its day is past.

CD
Captain Dunsel is online now Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Nov 2011
43 Posts
you do not get what i am saying, i say how about turning the sr-71 into a drone
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:53 PM
Canada, AB, Red Deer
Joined Apr 2010
312 Posts
Quote:
you do not get what i am saying, i say how about turning the sr-71 into a drone
I do get what you are saying, go back and reread what I said before. Without meaning to come across as rude, you can't seem to get past the fact that all out speed of the aircraft i snot important anymore. Let me refresh with some quick quotes, and this time the important points are in red and bold.

Quote:
The SR-71 could not just operate out of any airport. That means that there would be a certain amount of transit time from home base to the target. Due to design limits of the SR-71, this would also include at least one aerial refueling.
Quote:
Even if the drone's base was 300 miles away, it could still get there sooner at 150mph than an SR-71 coming from halfway around the globe at mach 3.
Quote:
An SR-71 travelling at Mach 3 really only gives the equipment time for 1 pass over the target. A drone flying at a slower speed can orbit the target and provide more detailed, more up to date info for a longer period of time.
Quote:
Cost. An SR-71 has two VERY thirsty engines. Requires a minumum of 1 in-flight refueling, so now you also have a tanker out flying around to put gas into. Most drones have 1 modern, fuel efficient turbofan engine....much easier on gas!! And that is not even touching the money involved in keeping the old SR-71 airframes flyable.
Yes, the SR-71 can go Mach 3......who cares. That speed does not mean anything when the smaller drones have already been over the target transmitting info for an hour, and will still be there an hour after the SR-71 has passed. And then when you consider the cost factor of operating an SR-71......whew, no contest. And to convert it into a drone.......oh my, now we are really talking lots of money!!!!!!!

Seriously, with the more modern, cheaper to operate, easy to fly from anywhere equipment they have at their disposal now, the SR-71 is obsolete. There are some small drones that can even be transported in a jeep, allowing them to be launched right there at the battlefield, allowing instant reconnisance, no waiting. There is no, and I mean no, advantage to the SR-71 anymore....even with the all out speed. The only thing it is still good for is to be able to say "our airplane is faster than yours", thats about it.
stardustertoo is offline Find More Posts by stardustertoo
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:45 PM
RCAPA #005
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
The 71 also required its own special blend of fuel. It couldn't be fueled up long before takeoff because it would leak out all over the place. The support crews required to keep those finicky old birds working were expensive as well. I don't know the ratio of flight time compared to maintenance/prep time, but I'll bet it was somewhere around 100 hours of ground labor per hour of flight, and that's VERY conservative.
In the modern world, the SR71 is nothing more than a novelty and aside from being fast- has NOTHING to offer other than being used for high altitude research. There is still an operational 71 for that purpose.
MGBGTRacer is offline Find More Posts by MGBGTRacer
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:04 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
899 Posts
Iirc

IIRC, There was a drone attached to the SR-71 called the D-21.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_D-21
dlazarus6660 is offline Find More Posts by dlazarus6660
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:29 PM
outstanding in the left field!
USA, IL, Marengo
Joined Feb 2007
726 Posts
Black bird replacement

its allready replaced...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackstar_(spacecraft)

of course, the aurora is probably obsolete now and been replaced by something else we dont know about yet...

happy hunting.
pyrobus is offline Find More Posts by pyrobus
Last edited by pyrobus; Apr 09, 2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: linky no worky...
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:48 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
There's a SR-71 Blackbird on display about a 30-minute drive from me - impressive aircraft.

For a replacement, there is the unmanned X-37B that has been in operation for awhile. It's in orbit now and has been for over a year, on a classified mission. A much larger `C' version is in the works.
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old May 24, 2012, 11:09 PM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGBGTRacer View Post
Satellite orbits are hard and expensive to modify, it's not like the movies where you just click on something and a satellite moves into position. The U2 is still in operation and there is one SR71 being flown for "research."
Having drones all over the place is the future-
Do you have a site for a SR still operating? Where did you hear that?
Alien_Tech is online now Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member