HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:49 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
Very poorly.

I'll just buy two 2450:s and see if they feel any different from my 3000:s... If they're far superior, I'll just buy more...
NJS- It all depends on you motor setup weight and so forth.
I don't think 3000mA will make this plane too heavy and may also make your CG arrival a bit easier.
I have the Motrofly 2820-750 and 40C4s2200 lipo and have my lipo pushed a long way forward to get the right CG.

As always, the lighter the better but if you have the Watts to play with and light a bit of heft I'm sure this plane could handle it.

Losi could 3D his 3dhs 51" slick with 4000mA lipo quite fine in his culdesac no less. Better pilot than me for sure but showed it was possible.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:10 PM
3D Wannabe
United States, NJ, Mendham Township
Joined Jul 2011
849 Posts
I'll be running one of the motors I have on my bench. Either a Turnigy SK3 3548 700kv (665W) or a NTM PropDrive 3548 840kv (815W). Both motors easily haul my much heavier MoneyShot vertical without breaking a sweat, so from a T:W perspective I'm probably fine. Time will tell. I'll probably pick up some lighter batteries just to see what they feel like. Maybe they will make my flying less crappy.
NJSwede is offline Find More Posts by NJSwede
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:51 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEBRANTAHUESOS View Post
Well guys always my doubts, you know I have this engine sitting around here for a while and now I wonder if it would be possible to install it directly to the motor box of this bird?, I mean without any fixing, thanks for the comments.

TGY AerodriveXp SK Series 42-40 750Kv / 600W

Model: SK42-40 750
That's similar to the motor that Michael used in his video, so it should work well in this plane. The only modification was due to the bolt holes on the cross mount being set wider apart than those pre-drilled in the plywood motor mount plate. Michael's builder added a stiffener plate behind the mount plate and re-drilled new holes.. there is a photo in the thread somewhere.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Mar 14, 2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:13 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,711 Posts
A heavier setup is preferable for some as it gives more kinetic energy. It's really personal preference. I would say a light 3000 would be fine but a boat anchor not so much. Batteries art quite a bit in mah/wt ratio.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:15 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
+1 I use these in my AJ Slick 51 and love them! They can be had for less than $30 and charge at 5C though that's getting to be less unusual these days. Perfect for this size bird.

I need some bats myself. May look into'em
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:21 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Speed gives you kinetic energy

Weight will hamper speed/kinetic energy and increases time to change energy states, will increase velocity vector slowing ability to turn in smaller air space...

I may be wrong on this though
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:31 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
JPF
How's your build coming on? any updated pics?
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:52 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,711 Posts
http://www.csgnetwork.com/kineticenergycalc.html
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:54 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,711 Posts
Increase in mass increases kinetic

On down lines fo sure and given same speed of course
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:11 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
I will concede for the sake of the thread not going off topic

However if you would like to discuss - further I am happy to explain why you can't truly equate mass times speed as kinetic energy as there is so many factors when using the physics in flight vehicles....out of the thread
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:30 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
JPF
How's your build coming on? any updated pics?
Thanks for the interest.. It's coming along slowly as i dont get much time during the week for building. I have thoroughly CA'ed all the joints around the motor box and landing gear and I've glued in the horizaontal stabiliser. Not much to take a photo of to be honest unless you are interested in a particular detail.

I've ordered up some ball joints and 2mm threaded solder connectors. Plan is to use the connectors and ball joints on the end of carbon rod pushrods. I'll see how this shapes up once i get to that part of the assembly. I'll see if i can get the surfaces hinged and servos installed tonight. The rudder servo I'll leave out of the tail until I'm sure the CG is looking ok. I've got Friday off so should be able to get it finished then.

I also need to swap out the motor bearings as one was a bit noisy when i was bench testing. It must have got damaged when I crashed the last model in which the Scorpion was installed.

Steve
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Mar 14, 2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:32 AM
3D Wannabe
Joined Jul 2011
849 Posts
Hrmmm... You mean mass times speed squared divided by two, right? But let's try to stay on topic. It would be nice if HK could just ship my plane soon!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:36 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,761 Posts
Pontius,
It took them a week to ship my Slick which was frustrating at the time but instantly forgotten once it arrives. So what colour did you go for?

Steve
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:43 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
A heavier setup is preferable for some as it gives more kinetic energy. It's really personal preference. I would say a light 3000 would be fine but a boat anchor not so much. Batteries art quite a bit in mah/wt ratio.
I think inertia is what really needs to be referenced with the increased mass of bigger battery rather than kinetic energy.
Tumbles, spins, snaps will all look and feel better with a bit of mass behind them. Ever wonder why ultra light foamies are ordinary at tumbles? Its the inertial of the airframe.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:46 AM
3D Wannabe
Joined Jul 2011
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Pontius,
It took them a week to ship my Slick which was frustrating at the time but instantly forgotten once it arrives. So what colour did you go for?

Steve
I went for the orange one. Thought it looked better.