Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:21 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Bat View Post
Nope it doesn't look that bad
i ll send the trash to you for free if you want, as long if you really try to repair. we have big fees for trash here...throwing the bag in the dustbin costs 5 dollars here.
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:25 PM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by long leng View Post
i ll send the trash to you for free if you want, as long if you really try to repair. we have big fees for trash here...throwing the bag in the dustbin costs 5 dollars here.
That's insane (cost of trash) - well if you have a backup you could keep the tail section in cases anything happens to the new one...

But seriously - once you remove all the fuse's covering and start glueing it back together and replacing bits with carbon bar or rod...and you will be amazed how quickly its starts to come together again - the motor mount can be replaced with a generic motor mount you can purchase from most hobbyshops...
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:36 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
yeah well, throwing away and enjoy the new one is the easyer pleasure for me.
really too nervous to hazzle about.
first now i put everything in the aj slick (have it for 4 yeras and didnt fly it yet), so i can compare.
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:46 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,146 Posts
Quote:
the expensiv shipping was here in less than 6 days and with the cheaper now 2and a half weeks havent heard anything yet
Think yourself lucky on that point. Some paid for the expensive shipping and it still took two and a half weeks (and counting) plus 50% of the cost of the airframe in import duty

The airframe did look to be repairable though it would take a fair but of work. The hard part comes with the smashed canopy/ battery hatch moulding, and the busted cowl. These parts are harder to repair. I hope your new one arrives soon so you can get back in the air.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:47 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,880 Posts
Quote:
first now i put everything in the aj slick (have it for 4 yeras and didnt fly it yet), so i can compare.
You'll enjoy that. It's a good plane. Well worth the effort. But do put at least HS85MG's in it. (But you already know that.) They fit perfectly.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:57 PM
USA, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Jun 2008
430 Posts
Good Morning all, I guess I was on the wrong HK Slick thread. I am in the process of building two of these planes. One for myself and another for BBonner. Here is my questions, BBonner picked up these servo arm extenders and in looking at the size and alignment, it looks like the angle will be too great to use. Has anyone used these? Is the angle too much to use these?

I also posted some pictures of the 2" Dubro spinner I used. Works well with the SK3-3548-840Kv.

There are also some pictures of the first completed plane. I did purchase the extended arms, but opted not to use them yet.

Open to comments or recommendations for the servo arm issue.
wblacker is offline Find More Posts by wblacker
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:04 PM
3D Wannabe
United States, NJ, Mendham Township
Joined Jul 2011
797 Posts
Unless you can move the aileron horn, I'd say it's pretty much a no-go on the extensions.
NJSwede is online now Find More Posts by NJSwede
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:25 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,146 Posts
They look too long but that's an easy fix.. just drill a new hole at the desired radius and trim the arm back.. simple!

Nice build by the way, and I guess this answers the motor length question once and for all. if you happen to have the cowl off could you maybe measure the overall length of the motor from back of the cross mount to the front face of the prop adapter please?.. I'd like to see if the Scorpion I have will fit, it's 59mm measured as described above.

Steve
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:17 PM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plank420 View Post
Is there any other videos of this plane in action?
Hobbyking 3D - Michael Wargo Flies the Hobbyking 1300mm Slick 3D (5 min 18 sec)
mtwargo is online now Find More Posts by mtwargo
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:31 PM
USA, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Jun 2008
430 Posts
Folks,

Here are some shots of the maiden of two HK Slicks. Also the pitures of the motor measurement requested.

Cheers-
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:18 AM
Tree Trimmer
alex va.
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
Question for MrRican

Dear friend if you would look at reports 906 & 910 you would see the completed builds of mine and WBlackers planes. What size servo extensions and which brand did you use. I ordered the HK's 200 mm carbon fiber ones but, they don't seem feasible to use. ( see pictures) What am I'm missing? WBlacker did the build and pictures on both planes and we maiden them both today. They both flew well except they need a lot more travel on the control surfaces. Using the Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3548-840kv Brushless Outrunner Motor,which prop would you recommend? Thanks B Bonner
bonner is offline Find More Posts by bonner
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:53 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wblacker View Post
Folks,

Here are some shots of the maiden of two HK Slicks. Also the pitures of the motor measurement requested.

Cheers-
Thanks so much for the great photos and for taking the time to measure the motor.
The measurement photo explains everything!.. The 3548 motor is shorter than stated in the motor name or the domensions given on the HK site. The name suggests it's 48mm long, the HK web site says 49mm long; but in reality without cross mount or prop adapter it's only 40mm long! So this totally explains why it fits fine when a 51mm long Hacker was 10mm too long. Also your spinner seems to be of the type that extends slightly back over the prop adapter which helps a bit too.

It seems that the maximum length of a motor for this model, including prop driver and cross mount is 52mm (considering you said you had some cowl to spare). This obviously gives me a challenge because my motor inclusive of mount and collet adapter is 59mm and I hate over-large spinner gaps. I have a few of options to get around the proplem;
  1. Shorten the motor box by 6mm or so
  2. Ask my friend who has a lathe to modify the motor to take a bolt on adapter.
  3. Use a spinner that has a built-in collet to clamp to the shaft and thus eliminates the length of the normal collet adapter.

Option 3 is simplest as it doesn't require any modification to anything.. but the Groupner Precision spinner I have in mind are relatively expensive , and I already have a nice carbon spinner i wanted to use:
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Mar 11, 2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:07 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonner View Post
Dear friend if you would look at reports 906 & 910 you would see the completed builds of mine and WBlackers planes. ....
Hope you dont mind me jumping in....

Tthe servo arms look fine if you just trim them back and re drill a new pushrod hole. This would take no more than a few minutes, you could modify them in less time than it would take to order new ones.

As for the motor.. I haven't used this particular motor but I have had others of the same kv. A lot depends on your other components such as battery and ESC but generally if you want to stay at or around your motor's 50A limit then on a good 4s battery you will be limited to a 12"x6" APC or equivalent. You might get away with a 13"x6.5 APC if you use a lot of throttle management and WOT in only short burst but you would be probably over 60A with that prop so significantly exceeding the motor's official rating.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:44 AM
USA, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Jun 2008
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Thanks so much for the great photos and for taking the time to measure the motor.
The measurement photo explains everything!.. The 3548 motor is shorter than stated in the motor name or the domensions given on the HK site. The name suggests it's 48mm long, the HK web site says 49mm long; but in reality without cross mount or prop adapter it's only 40mm long! So this totally explains why it fits fine when a 51mm long Hacker was 10mm too long. Also your spinner seems to be of the type that extends slightly back over the prop adapter which helps a bit too.

It seems that the maximum length of a motor for this model, including prop driver and cross mount is 52mm (considering you said you had some cowl to spare). This obviously gives me a challenge because my motor inclusive of mount and collet adapter is 59mm and I hate over-large spinner gaps. I have a few of options to get around the proplem;
  1. Shorten the motor box by 6mm or so
  2. Ask my friend who has a lathe to modify the motor to take a bolt on adapter.
  3. Use a spinner that has a built-in collet to clamp to the shaft and thus eliminates the length of the normal collet adapter.

Option 3 is simplest as it doesn't require any modification to anything.. but the Groupner Precision spinner I have in mind are relatively expensive , and I already have a nice carbon spinner i wanted to use:
If you want to run a motor that is a little bit longer, you could take and cut the motor mount area and recess it a bit like this. This is a mod a friend did on my GP Edge 540T. It worked well, all the way up till a crash was caused when a kid came up and grabed my leg that resulted in a distraction and crash. But you could see the idea. Carefully cut a square, and remount behind and set back. Just a thought. The other option you could use the shaft portion and the compression prop collet. The overlap with the Turnigy motor is enough to mount the cowel, but it is not a whole lot extra.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:00 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonner View Post
Dear friend if you would look at reports 906 & 910 you would see the completed builds of mine and WBlackers planes. What size servo extensions and which brand did you use. I ordered the HK's 200 mm carbon fiber ones but, they don't seem feasible to use. ( see pictures) What am I'm missing? WBlacker did the build and pictures on both planes and we maiden them both today. They both flew well except they need a lot more travel on the control surfaces. Using the Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3548-840kv Brushless Outrunner Motor,which prop would you recommend? Thanks B Bonner
I don't know if it's possible with those servo arms, but it looks like if you remove them and back them up about one or two teeth on the output shaft then the hole would be at a 90 degree angle to the shaft and should work fine. It doesn't matter what the shape of the arm is as long as the hole winds up at a right angle. Or if the carbon arm is mounted to the stock arm with screws just take it loose and turn it to the correct angle and remount or redrill the holes and screw it
back down. If this dosn't give you the throw you need then you need to make sure your radio is set for
maximum travel or get longer arm extensions or maybe Dubro makes longer servo arms that will work.
I just went back and looked at the pictures again and noticed that the horn on the aileron seems to be really offset compared to the servo position. Something just doesn't seem right here. Once the servo and linkage is all setup it should form as close to a right angle as possible when at neutral.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Last edited by jetinteriorguy; Mar 11, 2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Looked at pictures again