HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:47 PM
The END.....ha!
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,902 Posts
They won't make any more orange ones. They will make the blue ones.

Mark

snap.. beaten too it by that much...
KCV6 is online now Find More Posts by KCV6
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:54 PM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
I'm interested. However, over at the other thread, there is a post stating that HK will not made more of this plane after the first production run. Is this true?
I know a couple others posted it, but I got straight from HK that Orange is not going to run again. IT was a mistake in the first place, and wouldn't have run again regardless...

BY the way.. I believe the one sent to me will be here tomorrow... I will have the video soon I hope. VEry anxious to fly it!
mtwargo is offline Find More Posts by mtwargo
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Good to know.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:16 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Shame about the colour being dropped. I think the blue one looks very boring and dated.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:22 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Other makers, 3dhs, PA and EF butt attach the wings and rely on the thumb screw and anti rotation pins to hold the wings in place.
Bigroger,

Since you seem to be familiar, and/or have planes from the different manufacturers listed above, I'm curious: do the big names (3DHS, PA, & EF) have it all wrong with the thumb screw and pins, and HK figured out the better way?
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:18 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Slick, I'd say its not a case of right or wrong on either case mate.

Gosh, its just a wing attachment method. And actually I'm not talking about the attachment method but more how the wings fit into the fuse as apposed to butt up against it as in 3dhs, EF and PA planes.

Now the EF edge I have has two carbon anti rotation pins, the PA ADX only one and the 3dhs 42 slick had two wood dowels.

Which one works better, anyones guess. I think the HK slick has gone to overkill having the wings recess into the fuse the way they have done it.

Which plane is gonna be stronger in the fuse area from wing tip crashes? Again anyones guess. I know my 42" slick was totalled from a hover that went wrong that was only a foot of the deck. Damage mainly restricted to the fuse areas where the wings attach. The wings themselves undamaged.

I think the 4mm nylon thumbscrew used by PA, EF and 3dhs supports the fact that the structure is mainly held together by the carbon spar and the antirotation pin(s) more than anything else and that the thumbscrew is just holding them in position.

I know from personal experience that it doesn't take much force to strip out the threads on those thumbscrews and this probably means that there is generally very little force exerted on them during 3D flight.

If I suspect the tab/screw attachment method they have used on this plane is suspect then I'll swap it out for a thumbscrew by adding some ply and blind nuts to the wing and screw away.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Slick, I'd say its not a case of right or wrong on either case mate.

Gosh, its just a wing attachment method. And actually I'm not talking about the attachment method but more how the wings fit into the fuse as apposed to butt up against it as in 3dhs, EF and PA planes.
That is sort of the answer I was looking for... I was curious as to how well they support the stresses of flight, and as you mentioned, the occasional not so perfect impact with the ground.

It would seem to me that the other major manufacturers designed their planes to either have a breakable stress point, possibly saving both wings and fuse, or a breakable fuse joint that would save the wings, but require a new fuse in an accident... It would appear that HK's recessed wing joint might provide too much resistance in a crash, and break BOTH the wings and the fuse.

What do you think?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:39 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Slick,

I have had a model with the recessed wing "cage" and it really didn't perform any better and only really seemed to add weight. The other thing that I noticed was that so much of the wood had been cut out in the "cage" that a wing strike generally hurt the wing and made for a pile of sticks that could not be re-assembled out of the "cage".

Just an opinion. Not hacking on HK but I really don't like the recessed wing design on any plane. Carbon fiber wing tubes and anti-rotation pins seem to work just fine and repair more easily.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:39 AM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,452 Posts
I don't think wing attachment and crashes has ever been an issue, wings almost always survive in crashes and I have not been able to tear one off yet. Since fuse's are no longer sold separately (3dhs at least). My crashes have always either meant a motor box or a complete rekit, is HK going to stock motor boxes or any parts in general?
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:44 AM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwargo View Post
I know a couple others posted it, but I got straight from HK that Orange is not going to run again. IT was a mistake in the first place, and wouldn't have run again regardless...

BY the way.. I believe the one sent to me will be here tomorrow... I will have the video soon I hope. VEry anxious to fly it!
I don't think it was a mistake, they aren't that stupid, this was a well thought out marketing ploy

looking forward to the video, but hope it isn't edited, raw footage of it is what people want to see, run 3 warm up flights and then a 5 min UN-edited flight
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:47 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwargo View Post
I know a couple others posted it, but I got straight from HK that Orange is not going to run again. IT was a mistake
I completely agree that it was a mistake to do that!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:08 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE Spin View Post
Slick,

I have had a model with the recessed wing "cage" and it really didn't perform any better and only really seemed to add weight. The other thing that I noticed was that so much of the wood had been cut out in the "cage" that a wing strike generally hurt the wing and made for a pile of sticks that could not be re-assembled out of the "cage".

Just an opinion. Not hacking on HK but I really don't like the recessed wing design on any plane. Carbon fiber wing tubes and anti-rotation pins seem to work just fine and repair more easily.
Your not hacking HK in any way because this model doesn't have a recessed 'cage' type structure (look at the pictures).. All it has is a recess cut in the outer balsa sheet, the wing only sits into the recess by the thickness of the sheet, about 1.5 - 2mm. It seems like quite a nice idea that will prevent any visible gaps between fuselage and wing. It doesn't really effect the plane in any way other than aesthetics.

As for the comment elsewhere about other manufacturers deliberately designing the fuselage interface to be weak as a 'breakable stress points'. The fuselage where the wing attaches is the VERY last place anyone would design a model to fail, if it fails there then it's new fuselage time. Personally I'd not want a plane where the fuselage was deliberately designed to break easily.
Bottom line is planes are designed to fly, not crash. if you crash you expect something to break, on any plane.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:44 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Is it really neccessary to microscopically parse everything that is said? I gave an opinion that I don't like recessed wing designs. Thanks for confirming.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:04 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Guys, for $100 for the airframe, I'd buy a spare as long as #1 build flys OK.

I can't really get spare airframe parts from EF or 3dhs for less than $100 anyway as I don't live in the USA.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:20 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,726 Posts
180 per landed so $360 for two...I'll pass... Need spare parts!!! I would have probably ordered the plane had there been a way to gets replacements. Trying to lobby HK
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes