Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:07 PM
Once u go yak u never go back
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Sure would be nice to have a link to the plane somewhere. The first post seems appropriate.
marksextra is offline Find More Posts by marksextra
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:59 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
KE, from the Firewall to front of cowl, this lets you know how long of a motor is needed.
?? The distance between the front of the motor mount and the front of the cowl is what you want. The firewall is the section where the built up fuse stops at the front and the motor box is attached to.

Or is this plane designed to mount the motor INSIDE the motor cage like a PA plane is?
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:07 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,303 Posts
No, it's designed to mount the motor to the front of the firewall.

I've already got the answer from someone else: 1.875 inch == 47.6 MM. So a 48 mm motor will fit. The 3548 motors will fit. However an e-flite Power 25 for example is 55 mm long from firewall to back of prop adaper so it is 17 mm or .5 inch to long to fit inside the cowl of this Slick.

Now, how about servo holes. what are their length and width in MM (just the holes not where the screws go in.)
creapyd is online now Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:22 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,602 Posts
I'm confused, does this kit not have a motor box mounted to the front of the firewall?
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:25 PM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Yes. Motor box sits in front of firewall. Motor mounts in front of motor box.
xzuberance is offline Find More Posts by xzuberance
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:30 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
I'm confused, does this kit not have a motor box mounted to the front of the firewall?
I think this is just confusion regarding what part of the plane the firewall is.. What's clearly being referred to here is the distance from the plate onto which the motor X-mount bolts, and the cowl.

48mm is very tight, many of the motors i listed would be too long by the time you add a prop adapter. 48mm is in fact the exact same distance as the extreme flight 48" EXP series for which motor choice is also very limited. I'd be pretty sure that the 35-48 type motor wont fit as they are all about 48mm long before prop adapter or X-mount is added, they will be about 58mm once fully fitted out meaning a 10mm gap between spinner and cowl

Interestingly if the 48mm figure is correct, the MTN motor used by Dean in the official build would not have fitted properly Looking again at the video i note that no spinner was fitted and i could see the prop adapter sticking out a bit, so this tends to back up the suggestion that the motor was too long.

This is a very critical issue which will have a big impact on motor selection.. it would be good if someone could confirm the dimension.

Dimension required = front of motor mount plate to front of cowl, with cowl installed in most forward position.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:39 AM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
as posted before, the hacker a30 12xl is just a little too long, but will work.
say 5mm shorter would be perfect.
i ll post some pics later in case i ll find the time today to finish the build
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:03 AM
Australia, QLD, Hervey Bay
Joined Apr 2008
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksextra View Post
Sure would be nice to have a link to the plane somewhere. The first post seems appropriate.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_ARF_.html
lee8sec is offline Find More Posts by lee8sec
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:06 AM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,184 Posts
Okay here is an unbiased opinion. It has been said many times in these forums there are only 4 or 5 builders worth buying from. A short list Hobbyking and Turnigy are NOT on. Some may think this plane is a good value. Price and value are usually two different things. R/C flying is NOT easy! It's easy to get frustrated when things are not going right. Why not get the best planes available and eliminate the plane from the equasion?
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:45 AM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingin' Wayne View Post
Okay here is an unbiased opinion. It has been said many times in these forums there are only 4 or 5 builders worth buying from. A short list Hobbyking and Turnigy are NOT on. Some may think this plane is a good value. Price and value are usually two different things. R/C flying is NOT easy! It's easy to get frustrated when things are not going right. Why not get the best planes available and eliminate the plane from the equasion?
I think its a matter of Value/performance. If you seek really great performance... Go BUy A PA plane. You will be happy with it. If you either can't afford it, or performance isn't that important... buy from Hobbyking. Their products are gettting better all the time, and I feel very strongly that they should be on your short list. They are certainly on mine.
mtwargo is online now Find More Posts by mtwargo
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:44 AM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingin' Wayne View Post
Buddy, if you want b***h about this plane or HK, go to the official HK Slick build site. This site is for people for are strictly interested in the plane or the build because we're plainly fed up of people like you who think you know it all. We all know HK's planes have a long way to go before it reaches the likes of 3dhs, EF or PA however, early indications are that this particular model is possibly good. We're all here to learn more, so please respect the thread starter's request that this thread is strictly about the build... To cut the long story short. If you're not interested please bugger off and leave the rest of us alone.
xzuberance is offline Find More Posts by xzuberance
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:48 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by long leng View Post
as posted before, the hacker a30 12xl is just a little too long, but will work.
say 5mm shorter would be perfect.
i ll post some pics later in case i ll find the time today to finish the build
Which version of the A30-12XL is it that you tried, the original or the V2? The V2 is longer because it has a fan built in. The v2 is 52mm long (excluding X-mount and prop adapter)

Steve
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:01 AM
Happiness is a belt fed weapon
Ventura, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,278 Posts
Subbed. Thinking about a good, cheap smaller plane to keep in the back of the truck for those times the 74" just won't do.
Cleared2Engage is offline Find More Posts by Cleared2Engage
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:28 AM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwargo View Post
I think its a matter of Value/performance. If you seek really great performance... Go BUy A PA plane. You will be happy with it. If you either can't afford it, or performance isn't that important... buy from Hobbyking. Their products are gettting better all the time, and I feel very strongly that they should be on your short list. They are certainly on mine.
Mike, you forgot two other EXCELLENT manufacturers for "really great performance": 3d Hobby Shop and Extreme Flight RC. I've got planes from both of them, and can honestly say their products and customer support are nothing short of exceptional!
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:17 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,223 Posts
Lets keep the thread on topic, there are plenty of other places for discussing the merits of individual manufacturers.