HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:17 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfisherman View Post
that's because it isn't. not even close. how can this have a "too big of a canopy" and "too small of a rudder" and a "weak motor box" compared to a 3dhs when it's a copy?

as for the design being a copy, if you consider the trim scheme the design (the above points i made clearly show that it isn't an engineered copy), then it is a MODEL OF THE FULL SIZED SLICK 360, not a copy of a model (for the blue scheme). the orange scheme has some similar themes but without all the IMO childish stars
His comments were not about the 'HK Slick 360' that's the subject of this thread (which I agree is an original design and not copied of anything except the full size). The comment was about the new '3DHK Slick' which is indeed a direct copy of the 3DHS AJ Slick (even if a slightly imperfect copy in some tiny details):http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Balsa_ARF.html
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:43 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfishin View Post
Does anyone know a good place to buy xl servo arms I know they come in different sizes and materials.. Any suggestions?
From PA
http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...ls.php?pid=577
or from BVRC
http://www.bestvaluerc.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=231
also from BVRC
http://www.bestvaluerc.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=371
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:55 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfisherman View Post
that's because it isn't. not even close. how can this have a "too big of a canopy" and "too small of a rudder" and a "weak motor box" compared to a 3dhs when it's a copy?

as for the design being a copy, if you consider the trim scheme the design (the above points i made clearly show that it isn't an engineered copy), then it is a MODEL OF THE FULL SIZED SLICK 360, not a copy of a model (for the blue scheme). the orange scheme has some similar themes but without all the IMO childish stars
His comments were accurate, just described hk's other slick. I'm surprised to see people still buying this version when the other one is out. They must really hate the color scheme or prefer the challenge of flying the inferior airframe.
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:16 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
Inferior...ok. I really like mine and my friend with a 3DHS slick said it flies the same aside from the wing rock. It knife edges better and has better aileron authority. It's better than the 3DHS in some ways so to call it inferior is just ridiculous.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:45 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
Inferior...ok. I really like mine and my friend with a 3DHS slick said it flies the same aside from the wing rock. It knife edges better and has better aileron authority. It's better than the 3DHS in some ways so to call it inferior is just ridiculous.
Ok, if you were offended by my opinion that was not my intentions, just stating my "opinion" comparing the slick 360 with the new 3dhk slick that looks to be a reverse engineered copy of the 3dhs aj slick. I am someone who owned this slick 360 and still own a 51 aj slick. I will say the hk version does ke spins better and requires less overall ke mixing. Another move it excels in is the parachute. Aside from these, there were no advantages to the hk, but there were many disadvantages.
When flying 3d we strive to conquer many low post stall maneuvers, the wing rock and harsh wing drop many have experienced makes low and slow a huge risk with this frame if you are just learning or if you don't have quick reactions in harrier. This trait alone puts it in an "inferior" category in my opinion because it can significantly prevent someone from being comfortable in post stall which would make learning 3d a difficult task. to dig deeper, the plane is packaged with inferior hardware and does not stock replacement parts.
I put the hk slick through hell comparing It to the 3dhs slick and have been as honest and unbiased as possible with my opinions. While I was able to find a few moves that were awesome on the hk, I did not experience "better aileron authority" or anything significant that would make this plane worth having. Not saying your friend is wrong, but I actually owned both and tested them side by side. At the time back in March this plane was significantly cheaper and easier to get overseas so those were reasons people were buying, but now that hk offers a slick that is damn near identical to the 3dhs slick, I say again, I don't see ANY reason why anyone would purchase this inferior airframe unless they hated the color scheme of hk's new slick or planned to do the rudder mod that had been discussed on this thread.

Just to clarify, me saying it is inferior does not mean it's a bad airframe. I'm just stating it is inferior when compared to the 3dhs and 3dhk v2 slick. I had fun flying it, but I would never recommend one to a pilot who wanted to further their experience in 3d aerobatics. While I don't support hobby king, I do support the 3d community and I understand for some, it is impractical to ship a 3dhs slick overseas. If you wanted to advance in 3d and wanted a slick and hk was your only option or the only thing in your budget, the 360 would not be your best choice by a pretty significant margin.
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Last edited by DaaBears; Feb 06, 2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:01 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,251 Posts
Points well stated UCDme3D
And I have to agree.If I had the oppertunity for an AJ I would definitely get it,bit to ship one here would be about $300 odd
so that will be $550.00 for a bare aiframe,now for a 51" that's just too harsh.To me the Slick KE's the best out of all my planes.but yes that wingrock and wingdrop is a b*tch
Oh well.I like my Slick and have fun with it,but not as much as I would like though.
The new 3dhk looks like the AJ but that thread has been fairly dead and not even a vid by Micheal Wargo........plus the colorscheme is tedious
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:48 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,251 Posts
Well not to stir up a long buried topic but a mate of mine had a pull on the slickeroo yesterday and.....he experienced no wingrock at all so I'll just obviously have to get better
any new vids?
Still wanna do the rudder but just can't find any darn time
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:51 PM
Joined Nov 2012
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
His comments were not about the 'HK Slick 360' that's the subject of this thread (which I agree is an original design and not copied of anything except the full size). The comment was about the new '3DHK Slick' which is indeed a direct copy of the 3DHS AJ Slick (even if a slightly imperfect copy in some tiny details):http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Balsa_ARF.html
oops!

I guess the slick is becoming the next extra (a gazillion different versions by every manufacturer)?!
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:38 AM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
Well not to stir up a long buried topic but a mate of mine had a pull on the slickeroo yesterday and.....he experienced no wingrock at all so I'll just obviously have to get better
any new vids?
Still wanna do the rudder but just can't find any darn time
I dunno what wing rock is with my BIG rudder... I'll try for another decent video soon, still waiting for a few more RX's for my new Futaba
P.S do the rudder mod man
Hoverin is offline Find More Posts by Hoverin
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:10 PM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverin View Post
I dunno what wing rock is with my BIG rudder... I'll try for another decent video soon, still waiting for a few more RX's for my new Futaba
P.S do the rudder mod man
I want to and have to with my dumbthumbs
but time is really an issue for me atm.I somehow bent mt shaft and haven't found time to replace that this week so far.I'm working lank hours atm,so when I get home at night all I do is sleep.but have to do it
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:35 AM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
353 Posts
I'm hearin ya, no work = no money = no RC bits and pieces.....
I just swapped out my flogged out servos, they ended up very twitchy at centre. I chucked a set of the 210 DMH's in. They are a lot more accurate, being digitals, they seem a little slower tho.
See how they go in the morning....
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:18 PM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,251 Posts
Well I've pretty much crapped out my motor,though it was only the shaft,but bearings are pretty screwed and magnets have touched a fe times too many.wonder what could be the cause.........KE spins.... so will be ordering another one.Was considering trying another motor,but the L3040 works killer with my setup.also going to slap some xgd-11 digitals in it.A mate of mine tried them and thery seem to perform pretty well.so going to try them in the Slick.
while I'm at it all maybe I should do the rudder aswell and give the Slickerooo a complete once over
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:20 PM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverin View Post
I'm hearin ya, no work = no money = no RC bits and pieces.....
I just swapped out my flogged out servos, they ended up very twitchy at centre. I chucked a set of the 210 DMH's in. They are a lot more accurate, being digitals, they seem a little slower tho.
See how they go in the morning....
Vid or it didn't happen
yes work gets in the way of ur toys way too much for my liking.but overtime fir this month has pd off and I'm getting 2 more planes and some bits I've been putting off for a while
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:49 AM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
Vid or it didn't happen
yes work gets in the way of ur toys way too much for my liking.but overtime fir this month has pd off and I'm getting 2 more planes and some bits I've been putting off for a while
Good stuff. Yeh I went for a fly and like the new servos, unfortunately no camera man.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 03:55 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,251 Posts
Jees guys almost a month and no action here
still flying the Slick?I'm still waiting for my new motor and servo's.Hate it seeing the Slickerooooo just collecting dust.Though I have been having ample fun with my addy and AMR
but miss the crazy 6s power in the Slick