HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:26 PM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Sounds like your CG might want to be eased back a little? Does it need any down when inverted at 3/4 throttle?
Thanks Steve, did a bit of CG moving the other day. Ended up with the battery another 15mm further back, my CG before this seemed already back more than suggestions here. Thrust is arrow straight, just need the minutest touch of down elevator inverted now. Seems to have made a few maneuvers a bit easier too.
Hoverin is offline Find More Posts by Hoverin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:58 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,522 Posts
I can't tell, having never seen a real 3DHS slick, but this appears to be a video of the hobbyking version that is the subject of this thread:

Aurskog høland modellflyshow (4 min 59 sec)

Pretty nice flying, whatever it is.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:21 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,283 Posts
Have you guys noticed how much shippping prices @ HK increased and less options ?

Thats crazy now its almost as expensive to buy a 3DHS SLICK.

Big mistake from HK, they'r going to see how planes demand will drop like they never expected.
alcarafa is offline Find More Posts by alcarafa
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:10 PM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcarafa View Post
Have you guys noticed how much shippping prices @ HK increased and less options ?

Big mistake from HK, they'r going to see how planes demand will drop like they never expected.
When did it go up? I did a few purchases last week Aus and Int warehouses and didn't notice anything. Depends on where you are I guess and where your nearest warehouse is. My postage was $13.99 for an airframe, Aus warehouse
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:57 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcarafa View Post

Shipping direct from the international warehouse in China has always been expensive for airframes if thats what your getting at. It's not really HK's fault that shipping large parcels halfway round the world is expensive

But I haven't seen any noticeable increase lately

As for it being almost the same price as a 3DHS Slick that just doesn't stack up if you compare local warehouse prices.

3DHS AJ Slick 51" retail in USA: $240
Shipping (approx): $40
Total for 3DHS AJ Slick: $280

HK Slick 360 (USA warehouse): $126.14
Shipping (approx): $40
Total for HK Slick 360: $166.14

So the HK Slick is over $110 cheaper (thought it's currently on backorder in the US warehouse). If you were in other parts of the world the price difference would be even higher. For me in the UK the 3DHS one is well over $200 more.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Feb 03, 2013 at 05:02 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:49 AM
1000MIGLIA City - Italy
Joined Mar 2012
272 Posts
The convenience is always buying 3DHk planes from one warehouse near you.

The problem is the some buying 3Dhs Slick form USA in Europe.
Only problem, there is not possibilities to buy 3DHS Slick inside Europe.
The UK 3DHS seller, got only 2 or 3 planes and no Slick on stock from long time ago.
rosnik is online now Find More Posts by rosnik
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:28 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Well i paid $145.00 for shipping alone on my Slick
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:35 AM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
Well i paid $145.00 for shipping alone on my Slick
Ouuuch, .... Haven't been flying for a week, got rid of all my JR/Spektrum DSM2 stuff for the new Futaba 14SG. Absolutely love it
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:15 AM
United States, PA, Lansdale
Joined Feb 2013
11 Posts
Servo arms

Does anyone know a good place to buy xl servo arms I know they come in different sizes and materials.. Any suggestions?
ccfishin is offline Find More Posts by ccfishin
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:13 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,172 Posts
I try not to use long arms if i can avoid it. A slightly longer arm is often required on the elevator to get over 50 degrees plus throw but on the other surfaces will max out on standard arms in my experience, just dial in some end-point over-travel in the Tx.

Over-long arms only serve to reduce the force that the servo can apply to the surface (the law of levers) and so increase the chance of blowback, stripped gears and burned out servos.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:16 AM
1000MIGLIA City - Italy
Joined Mar 2012
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I try not to use long arms if i can avoid it. A slightly longer arm is often required on the elevator to get over 50 degrees plus throw but on the other surfaces will max out on standard arms in my experience, just dial in some end-point over-travel in the Tx.

Over-long arms only serve to reduce the force that the servo can apply to the surface (the law of levers) and so increase the chance of blowback, stripped gears and burned out servos.
+1
rosnik is online now Find More Posts by rosnik
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:37 AM
United States, PA, Lansdale
Joined Feb 2013
11 Posts
Well that's settled... Thanks gotta learn to stick with my gut
ccfishin is offline Find More Posts by ccfishin
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:58 AM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,311 Posts
I like using these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...o_Arm_Set.html

and their futaba / hitec counterparts instead of standard arms. even if I don't use the longer ones. They are very strong and don't flex at all.
creapyd is online now Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:03 PM
Joined Nov 2012
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
I didn't realize it was a direct copy.. I for sure wouldn't buy it even if the color was acceptable and spares were there knowing that.
that's because it isn't. not even close. how can this have a "too big of a canopy" and "too small of a rudder" and a "weak motor box" compared to a 3dhs when it's a copy?

as for the design being a copy, if you consider the trim scheme the design (the above points i made clearly show that it isn't an engineered copy), then it is a MODEL OF THE FULL SIZED SLICK 360, not a copy of a model (for the blue scheme). the orange scheme has some similar themes but without all the IMO childish stars
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:06 PM
Joined Nov 2012
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Well it seems that a gentlemen on here blew apart two motor boxes in air. With that same motor running on smaller EF plane and many 3DHS with no reports of motor box failures... I would say that is a start. These EF and 3DHS planes are tried and true. EF's owner has shown the willingness to loose money on a plane while designing and testing before he will release to his customers. The hardware is superior and the servos that the 3DHS slick could handle are more robust then what you could fit in a HK slick servo port.
With all that said... If there were access to spares I wouldn't mind putting one of these through there paces for further testing.
i think hobbyking may have given up shipping planes to alaska anyways
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman