HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:24 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,303 Posts
I got 4 flights on the slick today.... It's 30 and 10+mph wind here in SE MN. Blue skys and sun are deceiving. Had to sit in the car for 5-10 min between flights.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:21 PM
Australia, NSW, Mudgee
Joined Dec 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
the way i did it:

M2 ball link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_set_.html

M2 thread adapter: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_set_.html

Carbon rod: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_0x750mm.html

So you cut the carbon rod to length, sand down the ends a bit (or run a 2mm drill into the end of the thread adapter) so the rod is a snug fit and epoxy the rod into the thread adapter. Then just screw the ball link on and repeat at the other end of the pushrod.... And there you go, a fully adjustable carbon pushrod, super 'trick' and super easy.

You can get the same components at pretty much any decent hobby store. you can also use piano/music steel wire instead of the carbon rod and solder it into the thread adapters.
Hey JPF. Fantastic info. I'm looking to do this. Excuse my lack of knowledge but what bolt/nut from hobbyking would be suitable. I'm currently flying on the stock gear but it seems to make sense to upgrade me servos (slop around centre) and the links. Thanks for any bolt / nut size pointers.
amiga2000 is offline Find More Posts by amiga2000
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:18 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, Calamba City
Joined Mar 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Bat View Post
that balance leads often fall off.
Yeah, but easy to repair!
Quote:
I would say that they do offer a good output against load for a significant period but do die a death quite sharply towards the end
I dont mind if the batts die after 100c! I think it's a good figure for the batts 20$ price!
Quote:
I would recommend getting a 2650 and set the timer the same 6 mins...you will notice the batteries never get hot and even better offer full power till the timer - and no drop off...
Agreed but it's more heavy setup that is not good for our Slick.
Quote:
Zippys will do the same - but do not offer the same kind of power as the nano's
IMHO vise versa!
kinshas is offline Find More Posts by kinshas
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:13 PM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,252 Posts
I have over a 100 cycles on my 2 Zippy's I own.and compared to my TGY's they deliver full power tioll the end of my flight.I fly my 1800's both on my addy and my slick,and obviously take more punishment in the Slick.all of them 20C and at $9.50 odd I can't complain at all.
I still just love the 6s setup on my Slickeroooo i have to almost say I can have more fun the everyone else on 4s setup
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:04 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga2000 View Post
Hey JPF. Fantastic info. I'm looking to do this. Excuse my lack of knowledge but what bolt/nut from hobbyking would be suitable. I'm currently flying on the stock gear but it seems to make sense to upgrade me servos (slop around centre) and the links. Thanks for any bolt / nut size pointers.
You need M2 nuts, bolts and washers, bolts to be at least 12mm long. I'd give you a link but the Hobbyking web site is down at the moment.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:13 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,219 Posts
Here you go:

Bolts: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_set_.html
Nuts: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_M2_50pc.html
Washers: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...of_100pc_.html
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:43 AM
Austria, Tir., Innsbruck
Joined Sep 2012
20 Posts
Motor-Question

Hi again Slick-Pilots,

I've set up my Slick with the NTM4238-750 Motor from Hobbyking. It spins the 14x7APC very well but I'm not so happy with the bearing quality. After about 25 flights I changed the bearings against new ones because they got some play and also the motor was very loud.

I used following bearing dimensions:

1x 5x13x4mm (695ZZ)
1x 5x11x5mm (685ZZ)

After the change the first bench tests seems to be very promising.
But the new bearings made also some strange noises after 5 flights! When I turn around the prop, you hear some chatter of the bearing (I guess it's the smaller one). So, my assumption is, that two bearings are not enough for that size of the motor.
=> When you ask about the APC-prop, it was balanced before installation.

Actually I'm thinking of getting a new brushless motor with a "higher-quality" for a proper 4S-Setup with the 14x7 prop.
I found following PowerHD 4280-7 in Germany which seems to fit the bill (sorry, I's only a German website, alternatively you also find it on Mile High.

Does anyone know this motor? These motors are also available as Leopard-labeled versions. Or should i better go for a Scorpion or Hyperion.
Additional information: Other Hobbyking-Motors are "not" on my wishlist (SK3, etc...)

I'm thankful for some motor-advices of you guys!

best regards,
Chris
auer640 is offline Find More Posts by auer640
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:50 PM
Chuck it and see!
UK, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire
Joined Sep 2006
1,376 Posts
What about a KMS Quantum 2826/06

I'm told they are made by AXi (Model Motors)
Wing-span is offline Find More Posts by Wing-span
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:04 PM
Tree Trimmer
alex va.
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
Quote:
Latest version of the rudder plans updated to reflect Hoverin's and my own comments from building.

Changes are minor, the only part that's different is T3
Well, here's the first JetPlaneFlyer's improved Rudder for the HK Slick built by WBlacker. Bill said after he brought the covering, glue and with the Balsa, he had about $20 USD in it. Will be installed soon. Flight reports will be posted after installation and the weather improves. Thanks JetPlaneFlyer for your design!!
bonner is offline Find More Posts by bonner
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:24 PM
USA, MA, Sterling
Joined Sep 2009
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonner View Post
Well, here's the first JetPlaneFlyer's improved Rudder for the HK Slick built by WBlacker. Bill said after he brought the covering, glue and with the Balsa, he had about $20 USD in it. Will be installed soon. Flight reports will be posted after installation and the weather improves. Thanks JetPlaneFlyer for your design!!
Looks like you have the value Hobby saber as well I am trying decide between that one and this slick which one do you Like better. Thanks
Beancounter is online now Find More Posts by Beancounter
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:24 PM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post
Looks like you have the value Hobby saber as well I am trying decide between that one and this slick which one do you Like better. Thanks
Get the Slickeroooooo
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:57 AM
Tree Trimmer
alex va.
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post
Well; That's a tough Question!! I really like them both. I've been flying the Sabre X most lately. I'll tell you, the Sabre X is FANTASTIC!!! It is by far one of the sweetest planes I have ever flown!! There are some recommendations on the Sabre X thread that should be used during assembly, like beefing up the landing gear plate, adding a little carbon fiber to the motor box, sealing all the hinge joints( control surfaces). I did all of this and only added 1-1/2 ozs. BTW parts are readily available for the Sabre X. If you need a replacement part for the Hk Slick you just have to make it yourself or rebuild it.
Both of the planes are worth every dime. The HK Slick does high speed KE Spins faster and is a generally a faster plane with the same set-up. Honestly I have both of them with me when I go flying. Bill
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:27 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,219 Posts
Bonner,

Tell Bill that's he's done a really nice job on the rudder. I'm looking forward to your thoughts when you flight test it.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:36 AM
Tree Trimmer
alex va.
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
Quote:
Bonner,

Tell Bill that's he's done a really nice job on the rudder. I'm looking forward to your thoughts when you flight test it.
Roger that. Thanks
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:08 AM
USA, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Jun 2008
430 Posts
Quote:
Bonner,

Thank you, but the credit goes to you. Very nice and simple design. When I get a chance to pick up more material I will build myself one.
wblacker is offline Find More Posts by wblacker