HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:17 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverin View Post
Oh man, that's a lot of carnage. Sorry to see that mate... At least your still in the air with a spare....

Imagine the cost if these were big name brands
Lol! Air would have remained under the wing if these were big named brands!

Only kidding- I have no idea what brought them down! I hope it wasn't that wing drop!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:30 PM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
Lol! Air would have remained under the wing if these were big named brands!

Only kidding- I have no idea what brought them down! I hope it wasn't that wing drop!
hahahahahahaha he mentioned he came out of a tumble too late and flew into a fence
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:19 PM
fly the best
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Apr 2010
174 Posts
I am in for one HK 360 in blue trim.
I need some help on what else I need to buy now,
after hours of sifting through the thread I am thinking of getting:

SERVOS:
TGY-2216MG --being used for rudder/elev
HK 929 MG --for ailerons.

Motor:
NTM 4238 750kv
Spinner:
Spinner 48mm diam 5mm shaft

ESC
Hobbyking 70amp OPTO ESC with 5 Amp External UBEC

Battery:
Turnigy nano tech 2200 mah 4S 25-50C

Misc:
10mm black shrink tube
Thin CA
Battery Straps
Self Tapping screws
Futaba Connector Caps
CF rod 2mmx750mm
Ball and roller link
Threaded Ends
sharkforce is offline Find More Posts by sharkforce
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:37 PM
3D Wannabe
United States, NJ, Mendham Township
Joined Jul 2011
769 Posts
I would go with the 2219MGs all around. They're pretty good servos. I use mine in a EF Laser 48" and they're still going strong.

As for the ESC, I've had some bad experiences with the HK ones. I would go with a ZTW instead. You can get the ZTW 70A at Altitude Hobbies for $40 and that includes a built-in 4A SBEC.
NJSwede is offline Find More Posts by NJSwede
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:03 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkforce View Post

I used the Savox225s on this plane. I have the 2216s on another plane. I believe the 2216s are made by the same plant as the savox, but the 2216s are louder. I'm not impressed with either, but these were very small samples for a small number of flights.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:05 PM
fly the best
Joined Apr 2010
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
I would go with the 2219MGs all around. They're pretty good servos. I use mine in a EF Laser 48" and they're still going strong.

As for the ESC, I've had some bad experiences with the HK ones. I would go with a ZTW instead. You can get the ZTW 70A at Altitude Hobbies for $40 and that includes a built-in 4A SBEC.
you mean the TGY-2216MG's?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:29 PM
3D Wannabe
United States, NJ, Mendham Township
Joined Jul 2011
769 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant.

LoneWolfRC is correct. They are pretty noisy. I think they perform reasonably well, though.

That being said, I'm in the process of replacing all my "questionable" servos with HS65MGs and HS5085MGs. I guess my skills have progressed to the point where servos actually make a difference.
NJSwede is offline Find More Posts by NJSwede
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:24 PM
Tree Trimmer
alex va.
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
Quote:
There are two things that I would change on your list.
I'd use a 2" Dia. DU-BRO " spinner ( blue) Cat, No. 276 They are around $5.00 dollars, inexpensive and spin true.
I would recommend a Gens ace battery 2700mAh 35c 4s. These batteries are excellent and also inexpensive.
Just FYI; I also use the TGY-2216MG's all around. I have around 50 flights with no problems.
I also would recommend using Du-Bro 2-56 swivel ball links(cat. No. 860) and some 2-56 all thread rod on both ends of all linkages. these are self tapping so, you could adjust both ends. Bill
bonner is offline Find More Posts by bonner
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:38 AM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
315 Posts
Quote:

SERVOS:
HK 929 MG --for ailerons.

Motor:
NTM 4238 750kv
Spinner:
Spinner 48mm diam 5mm shaft

ESC
Hobbyking 70amp OPTO ESC with 5 Amp External UBEC

Battery:
Turnigy nano tech 2200 mah 4S 25-50C

Misc:
10mm black shrink tube
Thin CA
Battery Straps
Self Tapping screws
Futaba Connector Caps
CF rod 2mmx750mm
Ball and roller link
Threaded Ends
Thumbs up on most of this, however I would look at:
Turnigy lipo over nano-tech. I have both and while the nanos look good out of the blocks, my Turnigy's out perform the nanos and they are older. The nano's don't appear to have the longevity...
The 70A opto is a little large too, I have the motor your considering and it pulls 50A at 750W with 14x7 APC. I used
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html
And
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Reduction.html
Cheaper and lighter by 20gms (if your weight conscious)
Good luck....
Hoverin is online now Find More Posts by Hoverin
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:22 AM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,467 Posts
Quote:
All looks pretty good to me. Personally I'd go with Gens Ace batteries as I've not had much luck with nanos in terms of longevity.. but in the short term they work fine.
Maybe the ESC is slight overkill but that's not really a bad thing and gives you the option of propping up the motor if you want a bit more oomph (I'd be looking to pull 60A though that motor with a Xoar 14x7)

Sounds like you are planning on doing carbon pushrods with threded adapters epoxied on, which is exactly how I did mine and they work perfectly.

If you are a builder think about knocking up a new rudder as per the plan I posted a few pages back, it really makes a difference.

***EDIT*** One thing i would definitely change is the spinner and prop driver and motor cross mount. to mounto the prop rather than using the collet adapter built into that spinner it would be much better to get the bolt on prop driver that's in the NTM accessory pack:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sory_Pack.html

You also absolutely need a 35mm size cross mount (the 42mm size one wont fit the Slick):
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sory_Pack.html
It's pretty easy to break cross mounts doe to hygroscopic forces in flight so get a spare or two and check them regularly)

Then you will need a different spinner, Hobbyking is out of the ones you want: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...51mm_Blue.html , but the Du-Bro ones mentioned previously are perfect.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Nov 25, 2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:28 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, Calamba City
Joined Mar 2012
42 Posts
I could recommend Zippo Compact 4S 2200 35C, I've got 100 cycles with 58A max discharge, if to compare with a nano that did not exceed 40 cycles before die. And I'm not impressed with TGY-2216MG(HD-2216MG is the same), I have 8 of them and all got big slop after several flights.
kinshas is offline Find More Posts by kinshas
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:41 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Psssssh

I have have both Zippy Comacts and Nano' and others

One thing I have learned is that the Zippys are a great battery for the cost - however poor assembly means that balance leads often fall off or the main OP wires....I would say that they do offer a good output against load for a significant period but do die a death quite sharply towards the end...as for cycling have put mine through 100 odd cycles now and still good...

However Nano's are still better....

What I have found is that you can not get these nano's hot unlike Zippys they don't like it and will kill its performance over cycles...but say if you use 2200mAh and get 6 mins - I would recommend getting a 2650 and set the timer the same 6 mins...you will notice the batteries never get hot and even better offer full power till the timer - and no drop off...

Zippys will do the same - but do not offer the same kind of power as the nano's

One thing I have also noticed - am pretty sure that the Zippy's and Nano's are made in same factory and the cells are graded and packaged differently...I can hold a 2650 3s Zippy and a Nano together and they look exactly the same - size width and height....only difference is the packaging...
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:11 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,062 Posts
Here's my Extra 360 with added on rudder. It definitely Harriers better but still not great. I think she's just a little too Porky at 38 ounces and 43" but it's still a blast to fly. Good thing I lurk around here a lot because there's a lot to be learned.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:20 PM
fly the best
Joined Apr 2010
174 Posts
I already pulled the trigger on the parts I listed, I guess we will see what works and doesn't work in a couple of weeks. I did order both of the accesory packs for the NTM motor, I did not order batteries however, I plan on waiting for either the zippy compacts to be restocked in the us store or gens-ace on hobbypartz
Last edited by sharkforce; Nov 25, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:28 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,042 Posts
You could also try Glacier or Revolectrix Lipos.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f