HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:59 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,247 Posts
Hi Christian.it's a guess by looking at it.Yes he did,but he mentioned himself that it's not 100% the same
Steve aka Jetplaneflier post a few pages back on the correct one.hope that helps
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:26 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by auer640 View Post
Hi Slick pilots,

I damaged the rudder in the last transport in my car. So I have to re-cover the rudder with Oracover film, but I'm not sure what color-code will fit.

In earlier posts I saw, that some people have made a bigger rudder for the Slick. They should now the right color.

3 films seem to fit:
Oracover OrangeOracover fluorescent Orange
or Oracover fluorescent signal Orange

Can anyone of you help me, as I don't have a hobbyshop nearby to check the right color.

br,
Christian
The film HK use on their Slick seem to be the exact same colours that 3DHS use on theirs.. on that basis the colours are:
  • UltraCote, Orange - HANU877
or
  • Oracover Orange 21-060
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:35 AM
Austria, Tir., Innsbruck
Joined Sep 2012
20 Posts
Thanks guys,

I'll try Oracover Orange 21-060 for my repair.

br,
Christian
auer640 is offline Find More Posts by auer640
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:12 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Nov 2011
516 Posts
Question for you guys. This is my first balsa plane so I'm real new to this. The question I have is where do I get the ball links I keep reading about? I was going to use the stock ones but the more I read about them failing the less I want to use them.
Starving Bushman is online now Find More Posts by Starving Bushman
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:14 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Bushman View Post
Question for you guys. This is my first balsa plane so I'm real new to this. The question I have is where do I get the ball links I keep reading about?
You'll need new ball links and push rods. The rods that come with the kit are too thin. Get the next size up and matching ball links that will fit on that rod. If you have a local hobby shop that would be best, I'm not sure off the top of my head what size it was that you would need. If someone has the size, you could order online as well. I used the Dubro ball links.
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:30 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,137 Posts
the way i did it:

M2 ball link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_set_.html

M2 thread adapter: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_set_.html

Carbon rod: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_0x750mm.html

So you cut the carbon rod to length, sand down the ends a bit (or run a 2mm drill into the end of the thread adapter) so the rod is a snug fit and epoxy the rod into the thread adapter. Then just screw the ball link on and repeat at the other end of the pushrod.... And there you go, a fully adjustable carbon pushrod, super 'trick' and super easy.

You can get the same components at pretty much any decent hobby store. you can also use piano/music steel wire instead of the carbon rod and solder it into the thread adapters.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:31 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,296 Posts
I am using the stock hardware. I do not recommend that you use the stock hardware, *BUT*** if you do, file flats with grooves on the rods where the ez connector mates, and make sure it doesn't slip. Use loc-tite.

As far as ball links, you could get them from hobby king. Check the size, but here is an example: ball and roller link

Here is another example.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Nov 2011
516 Posts
Thanks guys!
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:13 AM
Tree Trimmer
alex va.
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys!
Hey John; I picked up some Du-Bro 2-56 swivel ball links(cat. No. 860) and some 2-56 all thread rod at Hobby Hanger in Chantilly.
Plenty strong for all the Slicks. Both ends are adjustable because, the ball links are self tapping. works very nicely! Bill
bonner is offline Find More Posts by bonner
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:43 AM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcright View Post
Hi Guys

A short update to my woes, the new cowl turned up so that was good the weight of the model was down to 58oz which I think helped with the way itís flying. Unfortunately I managed to rip the under carriage off the only spare I had was from a extinct Eratix so what with the repair plus some blocks of ply to bring the recess out flush the weight is back up to just under 60oz.
Also one of my fellow flyers came up to me yesterday and jokingly said have I put the wings on the right way round, I gave him a puzzled stare and he pointed out the right hand wing has a flatter top profile compared to the left wing. I picked the model up and had look and he was right although the difference is subtle it looks almost as if someone and run a sanding block along the top of the outer third of the wing ribs.
Now I donít know if this would have any affect on the flying but would it be possible if this is whatís giving me some of the quirky behaviour.

Arcright
Hi Arc, did you completely destroy the old U/C? What do you mean by erratic flying? Have you had someone look over it for you? Is it a CG issue?
Hoverin is online now Find More Posts by Hoverin
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Nov 2011
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonner View Post
Hey John; I picked up some Du-Bro 2-56 swivel ball links(cat. No. 860) and some 2-56 all thread rod at Hobby Hanger in Chantilly.
Plenty strong for all the Slicks. Both ends are adjustable because, the ball links are self tapping. works very nicely! Bill
Good info. Thanks Bill.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:19 PM
Chuck it and see!
UK, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire
Joined Sep 2006
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Good info. Thanks Bill.
Good idea
Wing-span is online now Find More Posts by Wing-span
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:19 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, Calamba City
Joined Mar 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
Ahhh damn sorry to hear repairable or completely toast?where's the vid?
Look at this!Name: DSC01174.jpg
Views: 88
Size: 171.8 KB
Description: Crashed HK Slick
Two days of flights!
Name: DSC01176.jpg
Views: 96
Size: 160.7 KB
Description: two days of flights
So, as you see the left wing got large damage, I guess it does not make sense to repair, anyway I have another one and it's flying awesome!
kinshas is offline Find More Posts by kinshas
Last edited by kinshas; Nov 24, 2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:18 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,247 Posts
Damn that's terrible.Sorry to hear.ouch expensive 2 days
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:33 AM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinshas View Post
Look at this!
Two days of flights!
So, as you see the left wing got large damage, I guess it does not make sense to repair, anyway I have another one and it's flying awesome!
Oh man, that's a lot of carnage. Sorry to see that mate... At least your still in the air with a spare....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
Damn that's terrible.Sorry to hear.ouch expensive 2 days
Imagine the cost if these were big name brands
Hoverin is online now Find More Posts by Hoverin