HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:29 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapRoller View Post
No problem for me, UCDme3D, I just really enjoy reading this thread with all of its very helpful information (with the modified rudder as it's very best) and I just don't want the discusion to fall back into the stage were it was somewhere in the beginning, when all the 3DHS guys came in to bash the HK slick. I don't want to happen this with this new HK slick again.
My theory about the rebranded 3DHS was just based on the 5 bad fotos on the HK site and my friends 3DHS Slick, I only have a HK sick 360. So it was more of a hypothesis then a theorie, actually
I completely respect that! I didn't expect a new slick release, Caught me off guard! Although I do expect a 25% version to be coming out sometime in the near future. Hopefully it will have the improvements that lots of you guys have pointed out so you can at least have a solid 3d plane to fly if you chose to get one. Sorry I got my "butt hurt" when I was was blindly accused of saying things I did not, I have a hard time keeping quiet when that happens..

I wouldn't call myself a 3dhs guy because I have no affiliation with one brand. But I do remember the beginning when people were attacking the plane before anyone even flew it. I purchased on out of curiosity and surprising enough, it was very close to being awesome for me. Because it was so cheap, I flew the hell out of it as low as I could. The ke spins and parachutes were some of the best I've ever flown, but that major post stall stability issue eventually kept me from flying it so I sold it off. I'm not going to make up stuff about the plane just to bash it, I actually think its a great plane for sport flyers wanting to get into some violent tumbles, and those who want to dabble in 3d.
Just because I don't like the company, doesn't mean I will lie or bash the plane- I actually defended the plane back in march when people were blindly judging this plane before it was even flown!

Some of you guys have awesome feedback and info- and really, I don't fault anyone for buying a cheaper option, that's your personal choice, I'll wont tell you what to do. I can only give as honest of an opinion as I can to try and help people grow as 3d pilots.

Speaking of the rudder experiment- have any of them flown yet?
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Last edited by DaaBears; Nov 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:36 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
Well, after I posted a question on their product page about the "3DHK" in the description and "AJ Slick" product ID, HK has made amendments. ...
Who says HK does not listen?
Well, that's probably a good thing.

Anyway, to discuss this other plane, the thread is here
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:37 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
Speaking of the rudder experiment- have any of them flown yet?
Yep, build plans were posted a few pages back and I've got 12 flights under my belt with the new rudder. Harrier stability is dramatically improved. With the new rudder it's as good as most of the big name planes, maybe not quite as stable as my EF Edge but not too far off.

I posted a video if you scroll back.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:43 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Jees I just spent an hour and a half reading everything from yesterday and this morning and it's starting to get like the beginning of this thread.I think we've all made our points before it gets ugly again and people are scolding eachother.
can we talk Slickeroooooo please
So who's all gonna tear up sky this wkd with our "copy" slicks? hehehehe
Anyone else done the rudder mod?
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:10 AM
The END.....ha!
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,889 Posts
I ain't sayin nothin. LOL

I won't be tearing up the sky with anything this weekend, getting ready for next scheduled surgery. At least doing it all in one year saves on Insurance excess. 250 bucks I can spend on a Slick perhaps. Must get Gizzo to teach me some 3D.

Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:19 AM
Prefectionist
Joined Mar 2007
1,308 Posts
Best wishes on the surgery KCV. Health first, hobbies 2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV6 View Post

I won't be tearing up the sky with anything this weekend, getting ready for next scheduled surgery. At least doing it all in one year saves on Insurance excess. 250 bucks I can spend on a Slick perhaps. Must get Gizzo to teach me some 3D.

Mark
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:23 AM
The END.....ha!
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,889 Posts
Thanks, I'm fortunate, it's just knees and ankles, my youth and motorcycles (actually the times spent uncontrolled off) coming back to haunt me.
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:53 AM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Wish you a quick recovery Kcv! Get well brother!

JPF- I missed the video, I will go back and check it out this afternoon, nice work though!
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:11 AM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
Jees I just spent an hour and a half reading everything from yesterday and this morning and it's starting to get like the beginning of this thread.I think we've all made our points before it gets ugly again and people are scolding eachother.
can we talk Slickeroooooo please
So who's all gonna tear up sky this wkd with our "copy" slicks? hehehehe
Anyone else done the rudder mod?
The thread for the other slick is here if you're interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV6 View Post

Mark
Good luck with your surgery.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:51 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
JPF- I missed the video, I will go back and check it out this afternoon, nice work though!
I'll save you looking:
HK Slick 360 with anti-rock rudder (6 min 0 sec)
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:53 AM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
387 Posts
Finally got a start....

Well I managed to get a start on the Slick build and actually stay in the hobby room till progress was made. Here's a few pics, I won't detail everything because it's all self explanatory. I will say I drilled out the LG nut holes to accept 4mm for my standard nylon bolt mod.
Pic 1 is the extra former between rudder and elevator servo, took a bit of getting in with covering uncut but well worth it really strengthened things there..
Name: servo bay former.jpg
Views: 86
Size: 34.8 KB
Description: Name: Fitting stab.jpg
Views: 79
Size: 64.4 KB
Description: Name: Electrics.jpg
Views: 78
Size: 71.6 KB
Description: Name: Nylon bolts.jpg
Views: 71
Size: 37.4 KB
Description:
On all three's...
Name: 42-38.jpg
Views: 97
Size: 83.8 KB
Description: Name: On all 3's.jpg
Views: 97
Size: 58.8 KB
Description:
My my, little red riding hood, that's a big rudder you have there....
Name: My that's a big rudder.jpg
Views: 96
Size: 52.1 KB
Description:
Just need to make up a couple of CF servo arm extensions for rudder/elevator, I think I will get away with standard arms for ailerons. That's ok coz my ball-links and threaded rod won't be here till tomorrow so should be a good thing in next couple of days
I did some initial testing with the 42/38 and 14x7 APC and came up with 50A @ 750w... Getting toward the top end of motor/ESC capabilities but with a little throttle management will be all good...
All up weight, minus a couple of linkages and bits n pieces is 1327gms fairly happy chappy....
Hoverin is offline Find More Posts by Hoverin
Last edited by Hoverin; Nov 18, 2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:39 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,015 Posts
Nice work!

You must have nimble fingers to get that former in-between the rear servo wells with the covering on. When i put mine in i has all the covering off as i was repairing after a crash. It does make a big difference to the rigidity of the servo mounting.

It will be interesting to hear how those nylon bolts hold up. Actually the landing gear mounting has proved bullet proof on my Slick, helped no doubt by the flexy alloy legs. Having metal l/g seemed like a negative compared to the carbon gear that comes with most 'high-end' models these days but in the time I've had the Slick I must have gone through at least three, maybe four, sets of carbon gear on other models and the alloy gear on the slick is still fine. Sure it's been bent a few times but is easily bent back.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:54 AM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Nice work!

You must have nimble fingers to get that former in-between the rear servo wells with the covering on. When i put mine in i has all the covering off as i was repairing after a crash. It does make a big difference to the rigidity of the servo mounting.

It will be interesting to hear how those nylon bolts hold up. Actually the landing gear mounting has proved bullet proof on my Slick, helped no doubt by the flexy alloy legs. Having metal l/g seemed like a negative compared to the carbon gear that comes with most 'high-end' models these days but in the time I've had the Slick I must have gone through at least three, maybe four, sets of carbon gear on other models and the alloy gear on the slick is still fine. Sure it's been bent a few times but is easily bent back.
Thanks Steve, yes it took a while with screwdrivers and hobby knifes holding and maneuvering the former into place. It strengthens that area no end, really happy.
I tore the LG box out of the Domin8trix on a botched harrier landing, made a hell of a mess. Done a quick change to 3mm nylons and that went ok till you had a reasonable rough landing and they'd go flying, quite funny sometimes.
I thought maybe 4mm would be about right, just don't like the steel bolts in there. Rather patch a hole in wing covering than repair the LG box on this one.
Really happy with the build on this one, the best ARF I've done anyway. (not that i have a lot to compare)
Those flexy ally legs are good, lost count of how many times I've bent them back...

CF Servo arm extensions I knocked up....
Name: Slick servo arm extension.jpg
Views: 99
Size: 38.5 KB
Description:
Last edited by Hoverin; Nov 18, 2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:36 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined May 2011
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverin View Post
CF Servo arm extensions I knocked up....

Attachment 5311306
How long (MM) is the servo arm extender on your slick
Marwin is offline Find More Posts by Marwin
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:46 PM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
387 Posts
Hi Marwin, total length is 32mm. I haven't drilled the holes yet as you can see but I would estimate 23mm (roughly) center to center