SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:07 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
That looks weaker to me actually because you've got less wood between holes.
Looks that way to me too. Almost for certain the wood will crack between the holes in the plywood plate.

To stand a chance of it working I'd laminate a sheet of pre-preg glass fibre over the back of the plywood, maybe one over the front too to stop the motor indenting into the wood.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:39 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecrash View Post
With all the X mount failures I have decided to go another route. I drilled out the firewall and mounted the motor directly to it. I will add epoxy and some FG to the mount area too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
That looks weaker to me actually because you've got less wood between holes. We've only had 1 X mount failure and that was on a scorpion motor i believe. We've had a few actual motor failures that lead to the conclusion of "don't use 14" or greater props with the 3548 series SK3 motors". I'd use the motor X mount.

just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Looks that way to me too. Almost for certain the wood will crack between the holes in the plywood plate.

To stand a chance of it working I'd laminate a sheet of pre-preg glass fibre over the back of the plywood, maybe one over the front too to stop the motor indenting into the wood.
Of course it's weaker. You are putting the same load over a smaller area. I would definitely fill those holes back in and use an X mount.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:16 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, Calamba City
Joined Mar 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Without a battery but with everything else the weight is around 1250-1300g, give or take.
I have two planes and the weight both planes without battery is 1500g, motor-sk34240-750(197g) wonderful for this plane and the servos just 12g, the ESC Plush 60A is 60g, the battery is 230g(oh, not count that) so, what else where I could gain the weight.
Quote:
I wanted too see if all the rave reviews on the AJ Slick were accurate.
What your opinion about AJ and HK Slick regarding flying performance? I didnt have chance to fly an AJ Slick so I cannot compare but by the video on youtube I cannot see any difference and if there is it's actually a pilot performance.

So, regarding posts above! I reinforce the firewall by gluing a 1.0mm CF plate on it, on the back I stuck FG by epoxy and than put 4mm wood washers under blind nuts. All my aloy X mount was broken(3 or 4), after that I dont use original X mount, I make new from 2.5mm CF, much stronger and lighter than aloy.
kinshas is offline Find More Posts by kinshas
Last edited by kinshas; Nov 11, 2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:09 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinshas View Post
I have two planes and the weight both planes without battery is 1500g, motor-sk34240-750(197g) wonderful for this plane and the servos just 12g, the ESC Plush 60A is 60g, the battery is 230g(oh, not count that) so, what else where I could gain the weight.
Actually the weight I reported was wrong, i must have got my math wrong apologies for that. I'll edit the post to avoid confusion. I've just re-checked my model 'ready to fly' except for the battery and it's 1370g. That is with a 175g motor, a 80g ESC, 16g servos and an Orange/Spektrum Rx.

Our weights should be about the same so I've got no idea how you could gain an additional 130g
Quote:
What your opinion about AJ and HK Slick regarding flying performance? I didnt have chance to fly an AJ Slick so I cannot compare but by the video on youtube I cannot see any difference and if there is it's actually a pilot performance.
The AJ goes really well. Unfortunately when I got it we had a spell of really windy weather so the only flying I did with it was in bad conditions, then when landing in the wind I cracked the carbon landing gear and I'm still waiting on a replacement arriving.. So other than it seemed to fly very nicely I'll hold back on a full 'review'.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:34 AM
Joined Mar 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
so I've got no idea how you could gain an additional 130g
Yeah! Maybe I've reinforced one too much!
And how you found the rolls speed of Slick, for me It's too slow. I have a wild idea to enlarge the width of ailerons maybe it'll help.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:47 AM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
378 Posts
Quote:
And how you found the rolls speed of Slick, for me It's too slow. I have a wild idea to enlarge the width of ailerons maybe it'll help.
This may be a stupid question but obviously your getting full throws on the ailerons? What servo arms do you have (length)? I'm struggling to imagine the Slick being a slow roller, unless you want it a blur
Hoverin is offline Find More Posts by Hoverin
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:08 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,608 Posts
Quote:
Yep, as Hoverin said, this is one of the fastest rolling planes I've got. I backed off the full throw a bit because it rolled so fast it was impossible to tell which way up it would end up when you stopped

If yours is slow it's either that your not getting full travel and/or that the ailerons are blowing back at speed. What servos have you got in there, how long are the arms and how much travel do you get?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:47 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
no way the Slick rolls slow
I toned down my aileron throws aswell cus it was too fast,and as Steve said,one didn't know whaqt was what.
Had a ball today,with some crazy KE soins,walls,elevators,waterfalls and torque rolls
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:26 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
I started building a Slick for a friend last night. He is using HS85MG servos though so I have to expande all of the servo slots.

My number one tip would be to install the tail servos before you glue the horizontal stab in. It makes life so much easier.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:00 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,306 Posts
2nd that, I always do electronics as soon as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
I started building a Slick for a friend last night. He is using HS85MG servos though so I have to expande all of the servo slots.

My number one tip would be to install the tail servos before you glue the horizontal stab in. It makes life so much easier.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:12 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,608 Posts
Only thing i'd be concerned about if you put the servos in first is when you glue the tail on with thin CA, the CA tends to run and while you can control this externally, internally the CA might run onto the servo and stick in in place permanently

Fitting up the servos before putting the tail in is a decent idea but I'd remove them again before glueing the tail. Also I'd worry about using HS-85MG servos. I've had my Slick to pieces and the plywood servo mounting plates aren't very generously sized. If you put the much larger 85MG in there then the mounting screws will at best just catch the edge of the plywood, or may actually be into balsa, not good. To do it right you would have to open up the structure and put larger plates in; that's a lot of hassle.
With that much weight in the tail it will also be hard to balance if you use a medium to light powertrain.

The Savox SH-0255 has more torque then the 85MG plus is faster, and it's lighter, AND it fits the stock servo well...AND it's cheaper!

Digitals need more care in set up but otherwise it's a no-contest IMHO
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Nov 11, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:25 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Fitting up the servos before putting the tail in is a decent idea but I'd remove them again before glueing the tail.
I concur, this is very good advice.

Quote:

The Savox SH-0255 has more torque then the 85MG plus is faster, and it's lighter, AND it fits the stock servo well...AND it's cheaper!

Digitals need more care in set up but otherwise it's a no-contest IMHO

Based only on a sample of 1 SH-0255 , I'm not sure I like the Savox SH-0255 better than the 5085MG (digital to digital). I'm going to give the savox one more try, but I already lost one in my elevator, and I was always very careful with it on the ground, while transporting.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverin View Post
What servo arms do you have (length)?
35mm CF from HK. Sure, I've got full throws on the ailerons that I could It's around 35 degrees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
that the ailerons are blowing back at speed.
That's what I'm thinking about! First I put Turnigy 2216MG 3.9kg/15.8g- not satisfy! Second HD 2216MG-the same! The real torque is less than 2.0kg and big slop after several flights! The last one is E-Max 08DM 2.0kg/12g- almost satisfy, the real torque and minor slops but no any bearings so what is the next I think Hitec 82-85 will help me. Oh, maybe the Savox SH-0255!
Last edited by kinshas; Nov 11, 2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:19 AM
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
35mm CF from HK. Sure, I've got full throws on the ailerons that I could It's around 35 degrees.
That's what I'm thinking about! First I put Turnigy 2216MG 3.9kg/15.8g- not satisfy! Second HD 2216MG-the same! The real torque is less than 2.0kg and big slop after several flights! The last one is E-Max 08DM 2.0kg/12g- almost satisfy, the real torque and minor slops but no any bearings so what is the next I think Hitec 82-85 will help me. Oh, maybe the Savox SH-0255!
I'm afraid you will almost certainly get blowback with those emax servos also.

Hitec HS65MG are much stronger or align DS410's.
cookci is offline Find More Posts by cookci
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:26 AM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookci View Post
I'm afraid you will almost certainly get blowback with those emax servos also.

Hitec HS65MG are much stronger or align DS410's.
And yet the 65's aren't recommended, for the AJ at least anyway.
I'm wondering if he's getting the required voltage/current out of his bec...
Hoverin is offline Find More Posts by Hoverin