HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:11 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,245 Posts
I have started the build today. Guess this would be the time to do the rudder mod too.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:02 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecrash View Post
I have started the build today. Guess this would be the time to do the rudder mod too.
Congratulations. Yeah, especially if you haven't put the rudder on.

I received today a 14x7 carbon fiber prop from aero-model. It weighs 21.4 grams, and I think it will work out really well on this slick. I plan to install it as soon as I can.

7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:22 PM
Prefectionist
Joined Mar 2007
1,294 Posts
ughh, those make white XOAR's look cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post

I received today a 14x7 carbon fiber prop from aero-model. It weighs 21.4 grams, and I think it will work out really well on this slick. I plan to install it as soon as I can.

creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,282 Posts
that could be interpretted two different ways.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:59 PM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverin View Post
Thanks chop, I do have something along those lines and I personally don't mind some shizz
What prop are you running?
14x6 JXF and pulling 34A at WOT
but one hardly ever gets to that amount of draw it's awsome having that brute power when pulling out of hover
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:13 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
but one hardly ever gets to that amount of draw it's awsome having that brute power when pulling out of hover
Try a 15x7 Xoar then you will know brute power. The 3040 pulled 50A (1150W) with the big Xoar.
In fact that's not much more than I'm presently flying on 4s, my hand wound Scorpion pulls about 70A (1050W) with a 14x7 Xoar

PS.. JXF and Xoar are the same
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:17 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,119 Posts
Quote:

Nice looking prop, it seems to be a copy of an APC in shape (which is a good thing because APC's are very efficient)
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:27 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Try a 15x7 Xoar then you will know brute power. The 3040 pulled 50A (1150W) with the big Xoar.
In fact that's not much more than I'm presently flying on 4s, my hand wound Scorpion pulls about 70A (1050W) with a 14x7 Xoar

I've only put a K-force 40A esc in,since I didn't need bigger.sp going to 50A will fry it quickly
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:51 AM
Prefectionist
Joined Mar 2007
1,294 Posts
I'm not sure which way to interpret it ether. Props are one thing I try NOT to skimp on. I'm interested in seeing if you can tell a performance difference.

Quote:
that could be interpretted two different ways.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,282 Posts
I want to see if I can tell a performance difference, too. I know on the 12x6 on an MXS, I liked the Xoar, but didn't like the falcon--though a lot of other people like them. Between an Xoar and an APC, I don't know that I can tell a difference, not much of one at least.

The CF prop I got is like an APC, only thinner at the hub, but still very strong judging by my uncalibrated bend test.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:31 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,245 Posts
The tail servo pockets weren't glued in very well, It popped right out as I was drilling the the screw holes. I had to cut the skin off to get at it.
I have decided to use hinges on the rudder with removable pins, This way I can change the rudder later. I used pin hinges on the ailerons but went with the CA ones on the elevator, The way it went together it would have been a pain to get the pins in there.
Last edited by davecrash; Nov 09, 2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:05 AM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post

I'm planning on the 6s option but it will probably be in the air, eventually anyway with the 42/38 750 on 4s. I did some testing with 14x7 and wasn't happy so will probably go with 15x? First up as per Steve's suggestion to get things rocking, keeping in mind amp limits etc. 1kw sure sounds nice and will look at that later on when the bits arrive.

Quote:
The tail servo pockets weren't glued in very well, It popped right out as I was drilling the the screw holes. I had to cut the skin off to get at it.
I have decided to use hinges on the rudder with removable pins, This way I can change the rudder later. I used pin hinges on the ailerons but went with the CA ones on the elevator, The way it went together it would have been a pain to get the pins in there.
Know what you mean, I don't mind these little surprises, long as I have the damn covering to clean it up after. The fibre hinges have to be the easiest hinges to work with, I'm fitting my first modded rudder to get it in the air and making another from more suitable balsa later and simply cutting the first one off, cut new slits and CA the new one in.
Hoverin is online now Find More Posts by Hoverin
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:55 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,119 Posts
Quote:
The rudder and elevator servo mounts are weak on the Slick. You will find that the sides of the fuselage flex noticeably when the servos operate. I fixed this by adding an extra former out of 1/16" balsa that fit in the space between the rear of one servo opening and the front of the other.
While you have the hole opened up you could take the opportunity to add a former in there.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:13 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,245 Posts
With all the X mount failures I have decided to go another route. I drilled out the firewall and mounted the motor directly to it. I will add epoxy and some FG to the mount area too.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:38 PM
Prefectionist
Joined Mar 2007
1,294 Posts
That looks weaker to me actually because you've got less wood between holes. We've only had 1 X mount failure and that was on a scorpion motor i believe. We've had a few actual motor failures that lead to the conclusion of "don't use 14" or greater props with the 3548 series SK3 motors". I'd use the motor X mount.

just my opinion.

Quote:
With all the X mount failures I have decided to go another route. I drilled out the firewall and mounted the motor directly to it. I will add epoxy and some FG to the mount area too.