HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
As he is a builder i might persuade him that the bigger rudder is needed so i can give it a good test

Does the tail need beefing up like on the domin8trix?

Whats the AUW minus the lipo?

out of interest why do you have both this and the 3DHS or is the hobbyking the basher?
cookci is offline Find More Posts by cookci
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:45 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,976 Posts
The tail is plenty strong, it's got a proper built up airfoil rather than the flimsy flat plate used on the Domi.

Without a battery but with everything else the weight is around 1340-1400g, give or take.

Why both?.. I just like to have a few different models to choose from and I wanted too see if all the rave reviews on the AJ Slick were accurate.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Nov 11, 2012 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Sorry, worked out the weight wrong
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:18 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,308 Posts
Answering that question (were they accurate) is DANGEROUS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Why both?.. I just like to have a few different models to choose from and I wanted too see if all the rave reviews on the AJ Slick were accurate.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
The tail is plenty strong, it's got a proper built up airfoil rather than the flimsy flat plate used on the Domi.

Without a battery but with everything else the weight is around 1250-1300g, give or take.

Awesome thanks. I will be recommending one of these

Im running a seby sukhoi on 3 cell 2200 with the hacker a30-10xl... it has plenty of power so i must admit i'm a little confused why the AJ needs 4 cell with it weighing the same as my seby

or is it because the hackers are super efficient?
cookci is offline Find More Posts by cookci
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:37 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookci View Post

Im running a seby sukhoi on 3 cell 2200 with the hacker a30-10xl... it has plenty of power so i must admit i'm a little confused why the AJ needs 4 cell with it weighing the same as my seby

No. It's because we're power-mad. You can always opt for less power. But why? The plane will definitely fly on less power. At some point, though, it becomes a "sport" plane instead of a 3D monster. It's a continuum. It's how you want to fly and what performance you're looking for. Honestly, my next upgrade for my Slick will be a 1kw Motrolfly.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:39 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,484 Posts
I deadsticked an HK slick after my motor bearing/shaft interface broke. Quite the exciting approach, but landed just fine.

The HK slick is no MXS, but it is not a bad flying airplane, high alpha wing rock aside. But even that isn't *that* bad. Certainly managable.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:03 PM
Tree Trimmer
alex va.
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
Can I have one too pleasehehehe prob is I'm waaayyyyyy too far from you guys.must just get my ass in gear and make one.Time is also my biggest enemy as work is crazy atm
Glad Bill has started reading the thread again
The few posts I've seen from him were really informative and good 'ol chat and intended the way it's meant to be...FUN.
hahaha ya I was lucky that I decided to check otherwise I would've definitely gone home an unhappy fella
your completely right,we do have to check these things more often,but we get slack,because we trust our gear and get too comfortable and lazy......
We had quite heavy winds on sunday and I had a ball just playing in the wind with inverted harriers and pretty much getting 0 airspeed just floating around.
Also got my 1st few torquerolls fairly high up though,but I've always been too much of a baby to try them,so I'm happy,will gradually take them lower.
Bonner the little elevator to 2 waterfalls back to elevator is still so much fun.I do it atleast once every flight now this plane elevators just so damn nice!!!!!!
I can tell you enjoy this plane as much Bill and I. It's just a blast to fly!
bonner is offline Find More Posts by bonner
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:55 PM
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Sep 2011
189 Posts
I received mine the other day and it arrived perfect. The quality looks very good It might be a while before I build this though. Going to wait until the holidays to ask for the motor/esc/bec, etc. Some amazing things in this thread. That rudder looks amazing. The repairs to the cowl on the bonner's plane are incredibly well done. Very inspiring stuff indeed...
bcamphaus is offline Find More Posts by bcamphaus
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:00 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonner View Post
I can tell you enjoy this plane as much Bill and I. It's just a blast to fly!
+10
I'm loving my Slick.just the nasty tendency to want to snap if one yanks on elevator to quick in a stalled situation,but I think that's more me than anything else.
Coocki I run 2x 1800 3s batts in series for a 6s configuration,and it's POTENT,the 2 batts are pretty much the same weight as that of the guys running 4s setups,just more POWA
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:31 PM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
387 Posts
Well I started the Slick build yesterday, but unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, it was also sunny and calm, so I got a fair bit of flying in as well.
I got a little bit done Slick wise and the new rudder covered so at least it's a start. Came out at 20gms so 2gms lighter than original rocky rudder
On the plus side I found a Aussie distributor for Motrolfly
http://www.scmodels.com.au/electric-motors/index.html with free postage
Not sure what you US guys are paying for these but I thought SC prices were very reasonable.
Going to get me one of the 1kw beasties the AJ Slick boys talk about and have some fun
Hoverin is offline Find More Posts by Hoverin
Last edited by Hoverin; Nov 07, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:16 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,976 Posts
Hoverin,

If you are thinking about the DM-3615 (which is a fantastic motor ) then the standard one which SC-models have for sale wont fit the Slick motor mount. The type that fits is the modified lightweight version which I'm pretty sure is hand built by Ken at Subsonic in the USA and only available from him.

It's the pitch circle of the bolt holes on the cross mount that's the problem. the stock DM-3615 cross mount is too big and the bolt holes are on a larger pitch circle.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:38 AM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
387 Posts
Thanks Steve, now that you mention it I vaguely remember seeing that somewhere.
Could always go with the recommended smaller motor.
I already have a motor for the Slick but thought I'd broaden my horizons.
Might be another week before I have the Slick going. Still need a few odds n ends for it. We have a new LHS opening in our area and am waiting to see how that stacks up.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:42 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Hoverin.If you have some 1800 3s batts,then hook yourself up with a L3040 and go 6s
I promise you,6s is the shizz nizz on this plane
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:59 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookci View Post

The AJ is a biiig bird for a 51"... also with the type of tumbling most like to do with these frames, 3s just doesn't cut it. I wouldn't even use 3s on my smaller 48" EF EXP's... On these sizes, they're like 2 different planes when you switch from 3s to 4s...
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:45 PM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
Hoverin.If you have some 1800 3s batts,then hook yourself up with a L3040 and go 6s
I promise you,6s is the shizz nizz on this plane
Thanks chop, I do have something along those lines and I personally don't mind some shizz
What prop are you running?