HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:16 AM
how'd I do that....oh
chop stiX's Avatar
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,259 Posts
Yeah I also wanna see hoverin's flight vid before I go ahead.I'd hate to go through all the trouble and it doesn't really have an affect.though just on Steve's previous depron extensions,there was a visible improvement
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:36 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
Yeah I also wanna see hoverin's flight vid before I go ahead.I'd hate to go through all the trouble and it doesn't really have an affect.though just on Steve's previous depron extensions,there was a visible improvement
Easiest way to prove it works before building is to tape some bits of foam or balsa, or even card to your own Slick to make the rudder the same saze as the one on my drawing.. Then test it out.

When i did my test the difference was very obvious but there is something of a compomise between harrier stability and not looking too stupid.. Fingers crossed the rudder I've drawn strikes a good balance.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:43 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,500 Posts
Here's my new rudder ready to cover, this is an evening's work.

I made one small change to stiffen up the bottom of the rudder, so I'll upload a revised plan ASAP. The new rudder, uncovered, is 10g lighter than the original.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:45 PM
Wherever you go there you are
7oneWo1f's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
The new rudder, uncovered, is 10g lighter than the original.

Nice!
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:50 AM
Get ya Alpha up
Hoverin's Avatar
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I made one small change to stiffen up the bottom of the rudder, so I'll upload a revised plan ASAP. The new rudder, uncovered, is 10g lighter than the original.
Nice one Steve, I can see the difference and good idea. Sorry guys the flight vid is at least a week away, because my Slick is still in the box. Promise to get on it as soon as I can.
I would say Steve will be flying the revised rudder before me. I can certainly give a second opinion later.
Hoverin is offline Find More Posts by Hoverin
Last edited by Hoverin; Nov 03, 2012 at 05:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:13 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,500 Posts
Here it is all ready to go. the new rudder ended up 4g lighter than the original which isn't bad considering it's 30% larger in area. it's also plenty stiff enough. I'm really pleased with the way it looks. I ran out of patience and didn't bother putting the red checkerboard on the rudder, I'll maybe get round to it.

Flight report tomorrow
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:29 PM
Wherever you go there you are
7oneWo1f's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Here it is all ready to go. the new rudder ended up 4g lighter than the original which isn't bad considering it's 30% larger in area. it's also plenty stiff enough. I'm really pleased with the way it looks. I ran out of patience and didn't bother putting the red checkerboard on the rudder, I'll maybe get round to it.

Flight report tomorrow

Looking good. You might be able to use some of the weight savings for a beefier servo.

At this point you might be able to just cover the checkered to make it match.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:35 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,500 Posts
Servo should be fine, it's a Savox SH-0255.

I'll probably get around to doing the checkerboard, it's easy enough to do you just cut loads of rectangles of red film and stick them on. It just takes a while as you need to be quite precise.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:55 PM
Wherever you go there you are
7oneWo1f's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Servo should be fine, it's a Savox SH-0255.

I'll probably get around to doing the checkerboard, it's easy enough to do you just cut loads of rectangles of red film and stick them on. It just takes a while as you need to be quite precise.
I took out a Savox SH-0255 on this plane on the elevator...might have been a fluke, but I'm not impressed with the servo. But with that much more rudder, it will require a stronger servo, seems to me.

Either way, I can't wait for the video. You might be onto something with this rudder.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:09 AM
how'd I do that....oh
chop stiX's Avatar
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,259 Posts
lookin goooood Sreve
Ok I just checkedn the plan I had printed before loading the slickeroo in the car and it did print correctly
well I'm off for some slickin fun gonna go terrorise the air with some 6s fun
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:37 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,500 Posts
Latest version of the rudder plans updated to reflect Hoverin's and my own comments from building.

Changes are minor, the only part that's different is T3
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:22 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,500 Posts
Flight tested today and i'm delighted

The big rudder works exactly as intended and has calmed down the wing rock/drop no end. It will still rock a bit if you provoke it but I've yet to find a plane that wont. No matter how hard I tried with my ham fists it's wouldn't drop a wing. Basically it's now as good as anything else I've got in my hanger for harrier'ing with the possible exception of the EF Edge, but there isn't much in it. I even managed a few tail touches and the rudder stood up ok.

It doesn't seem to have had any adverse effect on any other aspect of flight though my pop tops were sucking today but that's more than likely just me, not the plane because they were equally bad with my other models

HK Slick 360 with anti-rock rudder (6 min 0 sec)


HobbyKing employees.... If you are reading, you are welcome to use my plans for an updated version of the Slick, I hereby waive royalties or copyright
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:27 AM
Wherever you go there you are
7oneWo1f's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,425 Posts
JetPlaneFlyer, that is very nice of you. I hope they take you up on it. Great video too, really illustrates the difference (for those of use who have flown the slick--a great plane aside from harrier performance).
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:41 PM
Get ya Alpha up
Hoverin's Avatar
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Flight tested today and i'm delighted

The big rudder works exactly as intended and has calmed down the wing rock/drop no end. It will still rock a bit if you provoke it but I've yet to find a plane that wont. No matter how hard I tried with my ham fists it's wouldn't drop a wing. Basically it's now as good as anything else I've got in my hanger for harrier'ing with the possible exception of the EF Edge, but there isn't much in it. I even managed a few tail touches and the rudder stood up ok.

It doesn't seem to have had any adverse effect on any other aspect of flight though my pop tops were sucking today but that's more than likely just me, not the plane because they were equally bad with my other models

HobbyKing employees.... If you are reading, you are welcome to use my plans for an updated version of the Slick, I hereby waive royalties or copyright
Steve, well done, that's just beautiful..... Dammit where's the tissues
Hoverin is offline Find More Posts by Hoverin
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:35 AM
Tree Trimmer
bonner's Avatar
alex va.
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
Repairs complete

My good friend Bill Blk, has completed the repairs on the Hobby King Slick's motor box and did a splendid job on the cowling!!!! He rebuilt the damaged cowling by using auto body filler, fiber glass and a lot of sanding. He was able to match up the paint used on the cowling. I think he said that he got the paint from a auto parts store. EXCELLENT JOB BILL !!!
Before and after pictures below.
bonner is offline Find More Posts by bonner
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product HK DuraFly Micro Slick 360 2S - Official Thread will3d4food Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 873 Aug 16, 2014 11:36 AM
Discussion Official Hobbyking 720p HD Camera Thread jaskel FPV Equipment 520 Aug 13, 2014 10:58 PM
New Product Turnigy SLICK 3D 1.3M -HOBBYKING Official Build Thread will3d4food 3D Flying 1975 Jul 17, 2014 07:40 AM
Build Log The Official Raven 3M build thread has begun. Windependence Sailplane Talk 1554 Jun 30, 2014 04:43 PM
Discussion Official-Twisted Hobbys Extra Slick 32" Slickinsaneness Build/Fly Thread Tom K. 3D Foamies 1322 Jun 09, 2014 03:13 AM