SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:09 AM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,306 Posts
What's funny is this plane made me want to buy an Extreme flight plane. Ether the 48" laser, or the 64" msx. Compared to 3dhs I personally like the build style of this slick better, and the new Extreme flight planes are the same build style, just higher quality at reasonable prices.

EF if your listening, please make some 51" planes. I'd order a blue or yellow 51" laser as soon as it was announced.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:11 AM
Wherever you go there you are
Joined Nov 2011
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
What's funny is this plane made me want to buy an Extreme flight plane. Ether the 48" laser, or the 64" msx. Compared to 3dhs I personally like the build style of this slick better, and the new Extreme flight planes are the same build style, just higher quality at reasonable prices.

EF if your listening, please make some 51" planes. I'd order a blue or yellow 51" laser as soon as it was announced.
The 48" MXS EXP from Extreme Flight is probably closer to 51" with racing wingtips installed.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:28 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:

I also like the new build styles that have been coming out. The recessed wing is nice!

The 51 slick in general is just a beefier fuse, all the slicks tend to be significantly fatter than planes with similar wingspans... The 51's look and feel much bigger than the 48, and even the 104 slick is a chubby beast compared to their 103 extra sc! Extreme flight's 60's are where it's at! The edge and mxs are my favorite in that size for sure!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:36 AM
Prefectionist
Joined Mar 2007
1,306 Posts
Fine, than a 64" Extreme Flight Slick. ;-)
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:11 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Fine, than a 64" Extreme Flight Slick. ;-)
Interesting! Sounds fun!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:36 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,592 Posts
i just drawn up the new rudder in Autocad.. got the basic drawing finished and AutoCAD crashed and i lost the whole thing

I'm to p!ssed to do it again right now so i'll sleep on it and get it drawn up again in the morning, remembering to save regularly
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:22 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,592 Posts
Decided top re-draw the basic outline while the dimensions were fresh in my head; see attached.

I'll finish it tomorrow.

Steve
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,440 Posts
Well done for doing it so quick, JetPlaneFlyer. Better than using Visio
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:26 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,592 Posts
I'll draw all the parts out next so they can be printed as paper templates and cut from balsa sheet. It shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to build the rudder. It will need 1.5mm, 3mm and 6mm balsa sheet (1/16", 1/8" and 1/4" in old money)

I enjoy doing doing these drawings. It takes me back as I'm a time served draughtsman going back to era of 'proper' drawing boards... those were the days...
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,440 Posts
Do you have autocad for work? I'd be interested in playing around with it but I am not going to drop a ton of money on a tool when I suck at mechanical engineering anyway.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:16 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,592 Posts
Autodesk do a home user licence agreement where if a company has AutoCAD licences for business use then the employees of the company can get free home use licences. That's how I've got AutoCAD on my home PC.

Only hitch is that I moved jobs earlier in the year so when my current home use license expires this November I've got a problem, hence the need to get cracking on the rudder!

If you just want to meass around with a CAD system then there are probably more cost effective solutions than AutoCAD. I'm lucky enough to never had to worry about the cost but if I was paying my own cash I'd look at other options such as TurboCad and similar who do some cut down low cost versions of their software that are more than good enough for doing the sort of drawings I need.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:34 AM
Get ya Alpha up
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Decided top re-draw the basic outline while the dimensions were fresh in my head; see attached.

I'll finish it tomorrow.

Steve
Thanks a lot JPF. This is awesome
Hoverin is online now Find More Posts by Hoverin
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:52 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,592 Posts
Ok here's the drawing. It's in two sheets, the plan and template sheet for all the parts. It's too big to fit on standard A4 paper so it's plotted on A3. Either tile it an Acrobat or take along to a high-street print shop. Please do check the size of the print carefully using the scale bars.

To cut the parts just print out the templates on paper and stick them to the appropriate thickness balsa sheets with low tack spray adhesive (just a light mist of the adhesive). Use a sharp balsa knife and cut the wood through the paper.

Once I get around to building it myself I'll post some photos but for those who have done a bit of balsa bashing in the past it should be straightforward. If anyone beats me to the build please let me know if you hit any snags.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:44 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,855 Posts
Really nice work Steve. If anyone ever needs something drawn up or modeled in 3D let me know. Contry to urban legend part of my work is Opto Mech eng using Cre (ProE) and Autocad. I actually work for BAE Systems.

A small suggestion on a trick I use when scratch and plans building. Photo copy 1:1 or print 1:1 on a laser printer so it's toner on the paper. Cut out the template with some overhang , place it toner down on the balsa/ply/plastic/FG and using a tissue or cotton wool/bud and Acetone/nail polish remover, wet the tissue with acetone and press down on the back of the paper slowly wetting with pressure where the toner is. This will transfer the toner to the material. use small amounts and go over more than once if required until the lines can be seen clearly and the paper is stuck. Peel back and the toner will have transferred from the paper to the material. Takes a bit of practice but it's always worked well for me.

I recently used this method to do my G-10 plates for my big Quad.

Cheers. Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:24 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
What could KCV6 possibly have gotten in trouble for?
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case