SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:00 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,308 Posts
For a motor os 4s I would recomend the Turnigy SK3 3548 700kvt. I've got the 840kvt version of the motor and I wish I had orderd the 700kvt version. The lower KV will allow you to spin a wider prop slower for more 3d thrust.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:09 PM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
Thanks. I was going to get the 35-48 750kv version. As i thought Thats what the video said. Going with 4cell 2200mah batteries and 14x?? Something prop.
peter24 is offline Find More Posts by peter24
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:11 PM
3D Wannabe
United States, NJ, Mendham Township
Joined Jul 2011
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
For a motor os 4s I would recomend the Turnigy SK3 3548 700kvt. I've got the 840kvt version of the motor and I wish I had orderd the 700kvt version. The lower KV will allow you to spin a wider prop slower for more 3d thrust.
After a year of extreme abuse in my MoneyShot and HK Slick (including more than a few prop strikes, a pretty serious crash and countless KE spins and other silliness) the bearings in my SK3 are starting to squeal. Not necessarily bad grades for a cheap motor subjected to 3D abuse. Maybe a drop of oil will revive it, maybe it considers its $30 worth of power to be fully delivered and looks forward to retirement...

Anyway, not a bad motor at all for the price.
NJSwede is offline Find More Posts by NJSwede
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:34 PM
Prefectionist
Joined Mar 2007
1,308 Posts
When the bearings wear out just replace them with a quality set from Boca Bearings and you'll be good to go again.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:42 PM
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
i use this motor ,http://www.modelaccessories.co.uk/em...att-710kv.html , fits a treat , use a 2200 4s 30c turnigy pack and 14x7 or 14x8 apc-e prop , 750 watts

ady
razzz is offline Find More Posts by razzz
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:08 PM
3D Wannabe
Joined Jul 2011
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzz View Post
i use this motor ,http://www.modelaccessories.co.uk/em...att-710kv.html , fits a treat , use a 2200 4s 30c turnigy pack and 14x7 or 14x8 apc-e prop , 750 watts

ady
I have the 860kv version of that motor in my Sabre X. So far it's been performing very well!
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:11 PM
3D Wannabe
Joined Jul 2011
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
When the bearings wear out just replace them with a quality set from Boca Bearings and you'll be good to go again.
How do you figure out what bearings to buy? I'm not even going to try to look to Hobbyking for that info? Anyway, the bearings (with shipping etc) are probably as expensive as a new motor, aren't they?
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:53 PM
Prefectionist
Joined Mar 2007
1,308 Posts
new bearings are probably $15-$20 and much higher quality. just take the old ones out and use a caliper to mesure them. I haven't done it on this motor, but I replaced bearings in others without issue.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:04 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
I don't know what kind of skills you have so I can't comment on why you haven't experienced the wing drop or rock, but the past 3 pages have mostly been those of us who owned the HK slick and other quality 3d frames giving our honest opinions. I'm the farthest from a follower, and tried the HK before I made any comments. I have reccomended the HK Slick to a few guys, but they werent shooting for 3d performance. To say the HK slick performed like the competitors would be an ignorant coment on my behalf. Naturaly when you own the product, you try to convince yourself the plane is better than it really is, I really wanted to love this plane and it's price, but sad to say it just wasnt the case. Combine that with HK's shady business ethics, and you get the last 3 pages. You can say what you want, but if our comments weren't accurate, why would this gentleman be wasting so much time to shave off the leading edge of his wing? I just can't reccomend this plane to anyone who wants to progress in 3d. It will just put you farther away from getting into a quality frame that will make you a better 3d pilot!
You may not necessarily agree with everything, but it would be a mistake to dismiss what we're saying, unless you wanted to try it out for yourself for experimental purposes like gyro and I.. The "We told you so" will be here whenever you're ready... Remember, these observations aren't from one or two people, they are from dozens of us who experimented with this plane. I really hoped we found a great alternative to the AJ slick, but sadly, we just didn't!
Guys maybe I put my point out wrong.I'm not saying you guys are talking total nonsense.I just try to sort of stand behind the HK Slick as good value for money and that I find it not as hard and bad as have been said here.Believe me I'm no 3d guru.I huck around with my foamies and my PA planes.I just thought it was all a little overwhelming

Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
UCDme3D, he's stuck with HK and PA because he lives in South Africa, and EF and 3DHS aren't affordable/available there... So the HK slick may be the "best" plane he can get his hands on, hence his visible annoyance with the objective comparisons we have made.
I think maybe it's easier mentally "force" yourself to love what you have, than to constantly want something you can't get?
And yes your right on that one.I can get EF and infact I'm leaning very strongly toward and EXP soon.but in all honesty I would rather stick with PA,I love how light they fly and IMHO nothing beats that sweet KE spin the AMR gives
If it were cost effective I would get a 3dhs airframe but getting one here(when there are actually any available) will be lank expensive.a 51" AJ will set me back close on $1000 with shipping ect...so multiply that by 8.3 it's just not worth it.that's equivalent to a 30cc gasser airframe and a motor...
I just think that the HK slick deserves a little more credit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
I see... Understandable, but the objective comparisons should not be written off. Whenever I'm about to get a plane, I look for posts just like ours that would prevent me from making a mistake. The overseas argument is absolutely valid, sometimes you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
'Merica!
I don't write off your comments and experiences,I just haven't yet experienced that so much.but then tbh I haven't been flying too much slick lately.been having really terrible weather.
But I am definitely leaning toward an EXP.Either edge or extra.just don't know which one yet.
1st want to get my hands on a KMX though
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:56 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
How do you figure out what bearings to buy? I'm not even going to try to look to Hobbyking for that info? Anyway, the bearings (with shipping etc) are probably as expensive as a new motor, aren't they?
From memory the rear bearing is 5mm id x 10mm od x 4mm wide. There are two on the font; 5mm id x 8mm od x 2.5mm wide.

These are quite common bearings found in several motors of similar size, the bearing out of a Scorpion S3020 (the old style V1 motor, not the SII3020) will fit. Swapping them is very easy, so definitely don't scrap a good motor just for the sake of a warn bearing or two.

When choosing bearings you get two types; Shielded and sealed. Sealed bearings are totally maintenance free whereas the shielded ones need to be lubricated. The sealed ones do have more 'drag' so you theoretically get a few more RPM if you fit the shielded.

The sealed ones have black (or sometimes coloured) bearing covers, the shielded have natural metal covers.

Sealed bearings:

Shielded bearings:
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:11 AM
Joined Aug 2008
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter24 View Post
Thanks. I was going to get the 35-48 750kv version. As i thought Thats what the video said. Going with 4cell 2200mah batteries and 14x?? Something prop.

Apc Style 14 x 7 & NTM 3548 750kv would be the perfect match for the HK Slick.

However, please use 4s 2650mah if possible for ease of CG balancing & decent flight time.

Hope that helps

Gary
garytcl is offline Find More Posts by garytcl
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:19 AM
Norway, Nordland, Saltdal
Joined May 2012
13 Posts
What is the best cg spot fore this plane?
fjante is offline Find More Posts by fjante
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:29 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjante View Post
What is the best cg spot fore this plane?
The position indicated in the manual, 100mm back from the wing leading edge, measured at the wing root, is just about spot on.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:41 AM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
Thanks garytcl . Will the 2200 not balance it then. Also any ideas on a spinner. Gonna use carbon rod and ball links for the control services. When i sort out what size i need.
peter24 is offline Find More Posts by peter24
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:51 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,464 Posts
2200s will balance just fine. That's what I have been using. They do give short flights though. I land a 4.5 minutes.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic