SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:01 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzuberance View Post
Exactly what Chops said. If trawl through this thread you'll find that I was one of the early curious guys that ordered the slick. It came with a busted fuse, hole in covering and loose covering. Problem started when HK said it was shipping damage but the part that didn't make sense was the loosely fitted covering. If you look at the pics I've posted, you'll see that it looks like someone didn't shrink it down at all. Another issue I had was that HK added a 2nd box for my order but they only used one so even if it was shipping damage, they haven't explained why the 2nd box wasn't used til today. To cut the long story short, posties blame poor packing and HK blames posties, and I was left in a lurch. Am totally put off the slick so when the EF deal came, I jumped on it and will sell of the damaged slick kit. Damage is fixable in the right hands
I have both the HK slick and two EF planes in addition to building another EF plane for my son. I had to go over the EF planes with an iron. Not so with the HK Slick. The EF planes are awesome, so don't ge me wrong. I flew 15 batteries through mine yesterday, and was smiling the whole time. But my HK slick, only removed from box for inspection, looks expertly covered and I did not detect any problems with it. But I haven't begun assembly. Cosemetics are cosmetics. I'd recommend an EF plane based on my experience of actually flying them. But the Slick was very well covered, at least in my case.

One problem with my EF planes, at least where and when I fly, is the ultracoat. I don't like ultracoat for flying in the summer, and wish somebody would invent a coating that would withstand the sun without issue.

I should go set my HK slick in the sun and see how it handles it, just for giggles, as it keeps getting moved back in the build queue.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:18 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
It surprises me still to see people who own EF 48" and 60" planes and 3dhs planes go back and get the HK slick unless youre someone who got a used one for a great price. I thought it would be the other way around. Had both HK Slick and EF planes, sold the slick in less than a month. Saving my cash for a 51" or 71" AJ Slick next.
Well for a wide variety of reasons I always take another's words with a grain of salt. I bought the HK slick to see for myself.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:38 PM
3D Wannabe
United States, NJ, Mendham Township
Joined Jul 2011
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
I should go set my HK slick in the sun and see how it handles it, just for giggles, as it keeps getting moved back in the build queue.
I flew mine in 100F and kept it in black car with black leather interior for part of that day. No major issues, maybe a little wrinkle here and there, but it smoothed itself out once it returned to normal temperatures.

(The batteries, well, that was a different story. They didn't seem to like the heat at all. Puffed a couple of my (very cheap) Zippies, but they seem OK after cooling off.)
NJSwede is offline Find More Posts by NJSwede
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:43 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
Well for a wide variety of reasons I always take another's words with a grain of salt. I bought the HK slick to see for myself.
If you do any slow 3d you'll notice. For tumbles, knife edges, and other high speed aerobatics the HK slick is on par for its price. I always fly low harriers into 3d moves and with this plane that harsh wing drop can put you in quite a bind.

I agree the covering and build is very well done. The aluminum LG takes more abuse than my EF gears would. The hardware that comes with the slick is garbage, be prepared to immediately swap all that out. Other than that, it has it's place, but like I said, spending $300 on the HK slick is $300 less that you would have for a high quality setup.
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:46 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
If you have blue or black ultracoat then the sunlight will bubble that stuff quick. White, orange, red seem to bubble less
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:54 PM
3D Wannabe
Joined Jul 2011
862 Posts
I just tried out an Emax 2826/05 800kv on my Sabre X and I'm pleased so far. We'll see how it performs long term, but barring any meltdowns this would be a nice low price motor alternative for the HK Slick. In fact, I'm thinking of replacing my SK3 which is starting to make funny noises with one of these puppies.

On a Zippy Flightmax 4s 3000mAh 20C I'm pulling 900W on an APC-E 13x6.5. The motor was just slightly warm after a mixed sport/3D flight. Weighs in at 175g, I think.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:24 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,119 Posts
I used to have one of the 2820 emax 'GT' motors.. A very nice motor for the price.. However, if it were me I'd never use any 2825 motor of a 3D plane. It will have a 5mm shaft and that's just not stiff enough for a 25mm long stator. It might be fine in the short term but if you fly hard the magnets will hit the stator and over time this will kill the motor.

Easy enough to prove this one way or another.. Fly hard as you can for a few flights (WOT KE spins being the most testing) pull the can off the motor and inspect for any rubbing on the rear end of the stator.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:55 PM
3D Wannabe
Joined Jul 2011
862 Posts
That's something it seems to have in common with most long can motors. I think I need to replace the SK3 in my Slick. I've been doing a lot of KE spins lately and it now has a slightly different noise. Kind of buzzing. I'm going to take it apart tonight and I expect to see damaged magnets.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:22 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Ok guys.so finally had some better weather,so I could actually fly my slick yesterday.And seriously.This bad "wingdrop".......I got a very slight drop but nothing that was cried over so badly.maybe i correct without knowing since most foamies are terrible in that manner.but got perfect landings.I'm loving this plane now
Still love the 6s power
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:46 AM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
Ok guys.so finally had some better weather,so I could actually fly my slick yesterday.And seriously.This bad "wingdrop".......I got a very slight drop but nothing that was cried over so badly.maybe i correct without knowing since most foamies are terrible in that manner.but got perfect landings.I'm loving this plane now
Still love the 6s power
The wing drop isn't violent, however when you are low or are trying to harrier land the plane and that drop occurs, it makes recovery a bit more difficult!

I am happy to say that I randomly was able to add a 51" AJ Slick to my fleet yesterday! Plane should be here today! About 4 months after trying the HK Slick, I've now ordered my second AJ Slick... Maybe this plane isn't bad for 3dhs. The HK Slick made me realize how bad I wanted an AJ Slick or two, or three...
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:54 PM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,522 Posts
Hey Guys... I promised some of yu a video of the 74" turning trix...

HEre it is

MIchael Wargo Flies The Hobbyking Turning Trix (4 min 34 sec)
mtwargo is offline Find More Posts by mtwargo
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:26 PM
3D Wannabe
Joined Jul 2011
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwargo View Post
Hey Guys... I promised some of yu a video of the 74" turning trix...

HEre it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UijmcwY3J_8
So you're advising us against using the stock linkage?

Amazing flying as always! The problem is I don't trust you as a judge of planes, since you could make a brick fly amazing... (And that's said in the nicest and most admiring way!)
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:47 PM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
So you're advising us against using the stock linkage?

Amazing flying as always! The problem is I don't trust you as a judge of planes, since you could make a brick fly amazing... (And that's said in the nicest and most admiring way!)
I am not so sure about the brick thing... But, I never really come out saying the plane flies really well... Unless it does. All the PA planes are just amazing, and the HK planes of late have been really good. I really liked them. This is absolutely fantastic coming from Hobbyking. The linkage did not fail, the screw came out of the servo arm.... it jumped a few teeth and locked left while I was low and it just arced into the ground... I was really loving the plane. THe flying you see was literally my testing it flight. I trimmed it, flew some quick tests, checked cg, and basically, apart from 30 seconds or so... its all in the video. I asked them to replace it, I really want one just for me to fly...
mtwargo is offline Find More Posts by mtwargo
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:15 PM
3D Wannabe
Joined Jul 2011
862 Posts
I know you try to give be as honest as you can and I appreciate it. My comment was supposed to be tongue in cheek...

One more thing: Turning trix??? Who names the planes over there? I was thinking of making custom "BJ Slick" decals for my HK Slick, but I stopped myself in my tracks...
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:23 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Good vid Micheal.I've looked at this bird and wondered if it's any good.Jees 10s that's some serious charging right there
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX