SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 18, 2012, 02:13 AM
Joined Mar 2011
50 Posts
Finally the thread I have being waiting for
But when you list what hardware/setup that have being used in the plane I was wondering if you also could post direct link (If possible) to whatever you used.
Just an idea
balleklorin1972 is offline Find More Posts by balleklorin1972
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:28 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,166 Posts
I've been looking at HK motors that would work with the Slick and based on weight, power and kv rating I've come up with the following:

3s battery:
NTM Prop Drive 35-48 Series 900KV
NTM Prop Drive Series 35-48A 1100kv
Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3548-840kv *Update* The SK3 3548 series has proved to be structurally weak for hardcore 3D use
Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3548- 1050kv *Update* The SK3 3548 series has proved to be structurally weak for hardcore 3D use

4s battery
NTM Prop Drive 35-48 Series 900KV
NTM Prop Drive Series 42-38 750kv *Update* This motor needs a smaller cross mount to fit the Slick
Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3548-840kv *Update* The SK3 3548 series has proved to be structurally weak for hardcore 3D use
Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3548-700kv *Update* The SK3 3548 series has proved to be structurally weak for hardcore 3D use
Turnigy G15 Brushless Outrunner 710kv
Turnigy G15 Brushless Outrunner 810kv
Turnigy L3020B-600(should spin a 15" prop or maybe run on 5s)

The criteria I've used here is that the motor should be in the 150-180g range and capable of swinging props in the range of 12x6 - 14x7. Generally in the list under each battery lower kv means the motor will swing a larger prop, higher kv means smaller prop. I'm not sure if the HK Slick has a restriction on overall motor length?.. If so that may restrict choice further.

I'm happy to update this post if anyone has any other HK motor recommendations.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Sep 25, 2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 05:48 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
A lot of those motors are heavy pigs....

I always try to keep weight down if I can and hence steer away from 4s and offset with a faster kV motor - this also helps with efficiency which is a bit of a lost art..

Thats why I like the AXI / KMS motors they do the job for a sensible price...and have had no bother with them whatsoever.... But guess don't look pretty enough for some peoples tastes

AXI & KMS are made by model motor company and both have a 1100kV motor which is perfect for a 12X6 prop - it will spin it much more efficiently as a 3s then overvolting a 800kV motor
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Last edited by Space Bat; Feb 18, 2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:14 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,166 Posts
Space,

I'll have to differ with you there.. The heaviest motor i listed was 174g which was the actual motor used in the official video. A 174g motor is not at all heavy for a plane of this size, but several of the motors are around 150g is you want something a bit lighter. The motor recommended by 3DHS for their 51" AJ Slick is the hacker A30-12XL which is 177g.. heavier than any of the motors I listed.

If you want to aim at around 200W/lb which is usually the target for 3D then you are going to need at least 650W for this model.. Using the old rough rule of thumb of 80-100W per oz of motor then that works out at a minimum of 180g of motor for this plane. Experience shows you can push many motors a bit harder if you use some throttle management, so something a bit lighter should be ok if well cooled and WOT is used in bursts only.

Also 4s (or even 5s) can in my experience be built as light or even lighter than a 3s set up. Assuming same power in all cases then the 4s set up will pull less amps (power = volts x amps) so you use a smaller mAh battery (battery weight ends up the same) and then use a smaller amp rated and lighter ESC, wire gauge can also be smaller saving a further few g. Watt for watt motor weight also tends to favour higher voltage set ups because motors are amp limited. Also a 12" prop is on the smaller end of the range you would usually be using on a 51" span 3D model, I'd personally prefer a larger prop. but 12" will work ok I'm sure.

If you have a specific motor recommendation please post it.
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Feb 18, 2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:29 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
I thought I did recommend 2

Also motor efficiency is also a factor - which tends to be lost in some instance when driving a lower kV motor harder, but all depends on winding resistances...etc

OK my preferred choice would be the KMS 2820/05

Specification

KV RPM: 1130RPM

Max. Continuous Current (Amps):31A Max Current: 45A/ 60S

Max Efficiency: >86%

LiPo:3-4 cells

Propeller Range: 11 x 8, 12 x 6, 12 x 7, 12 x 8, 13 x 6.5

I0: 2.3A (10v) Turns: 5T Resistance:41mohm

ESC Timing Degrees: 20-30 (High)

Bearings:3 Pole: 14 Pole

Length:48mm Diameter:35mm Shaft dia:5.00mm

Weight: 142g

I take these motors well over 60A peak with not ill effects..
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:37 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,166 Posts
I've listed motors that could power the model without grossly exceeding their rated max amps.. Personally I'd be reluctant to recommend a motor where you needed to exceed the maximum burst rating by 33% to get the required power. Also the 10g saved would be at least partly cancelled out by the higher rated ESC
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:44 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I've listed motors that could power the model without grossly exceeding their rated max amps.. Personally I'd be reluctant to recommend a motor where you needed to exceed the maximum burst rating by 33% to get the required power. Also the 10g saved would be at least partly cancelled out by the higher rated ESC
To be fair the KMS motor can pull 45A for 60s - one of the reasons its so nice to have as most motors state 10s - this motor also handles insane peaks of power...without any detriment...I found these by accident after being recommended one of these by my local hobbyshop - Have used them ever since.....
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:05 AM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,526 Posts
BAd News.... The Slick they shipped me the other day had not gotten to me yesterday... Went out UPS, and I expected it. BUt it should be here monday. A promised, Vince said he'd build it as soon as it arrives and I'll have the video soon after...
mtwargo is offline Find More Posts by mtwargo
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:14 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwargo View Post
BAd News.... The Slick they shipped me the other day had not gotten to me yesterday... Went out UPS, and I expected it. BUt it should be here monday. A promised, Vince said he'd build it as soon as it arrives and I'll have the video soon after...
Don't sweat it MW - should be a few now ready to maiden and post video's soon

Have to say the plane does look a good un - looks like HK are stepping up to the plate and throwing the gauntlet down...this will be good for RC

Be good to see what this plane can do in your hands though - or even Dan D
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:45 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
It will be very interesting to see a non bias opinion from someone who flew the major competitor's model. If it fairs well, I'll probably get one because the price is incredible.

Now I am pretty new to larger electrics as I only flew some GWS foamies in the past. My larger planes were nitro. I have some 40 inch + planes now but I really don't know much about the gear in them. What do you get from hacker, torque, and other big name brushless gear that you don't get with the generic HK motors? I'd like to know for price comparison vs value.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:47 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
What do you get from hacker, torque, and other big name brushless gear that you don't get with the generic HK motors? I'd like to know for price comparison vs value.
quality control. the components are less likely to fail, and when/if they do, there is actually recourse for repair/replacement.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:00 AM
BillyG master daehrekcep
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,906 Posts
I'd agree with the quality control, however I just got a few of the new SK3 motors and compared to my AXi motors on my multi's they are pretty good. Windings are nice, magnets seem to be glued real well and the bearings are fine so far. I have some of the older Aerodrive SK 3548 970's and they have also been good.

As for the recourse for repair, well that depends where you are. All my AXi stuff is exactly the same as the HK motors. Once it's used it's my problem.

It's all horses for courses.

Mark
KCV6 is online now Find More Posts by KCV6
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:04 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV6 View Post
I'd agree with the quality control, however I just got a few of the new SK3 motors and compared to my AXi motors on my multi's they are pretty good. Windings are nice, magnets seem to be glued real well and the bearings are fine so far. I have some of the older Aerodrive SK 3548 970's and they have also been good.

As for the recourse for repair, well that depends where you are. All my AXi stuff is exactly the same as the HK motors. Once it's used it's my problem.

It's all horses for courses.

Mark

Cool, thanks for the info. I don't want this to derail this into a motor debate. I was just curious. Let's keep focus.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:52 AM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,222 Posts
Wingbreaker you will not get an unbiased opinion, all bashing aside, there is only one ORIGINAL!!! A copy of a Rembrant is still a COPY!!! Work hard save your quarters and get the REAL DEAL !!! You buy cheap and you get, well you know what you get. My 2 cents.
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:01 AM
D/FW
Joined Aug 2004
704 Posts
In case you didn't pick up on this, I was being complementary of the plane's performance in the video. If this comes to the USA warehouse I may very well buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDirtRC View Post
Seems like I saw a couple of full throttle blenders in the video. Wonder why it didn't fall apart in the air. Fireyfate said it would.
JoeDirtRC is offline Find More Posts by JoeDirtRC