HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:06 PM
3D Wannabe
United States, NJ, Mendham Township
Joined Jul 2011
862 Posts
Wow! I checked the thread this morning and saw that someone had some pretty cool ideas around VGs. I check in a few hours later and the whole thing degenerated into a full on flame war. I have two things to say:

1) If I remember correctly, the physics of a stalled airfoil are extremely complicated with chaotic behaviors and all that jazz. Therefore, I completely accept the idea that something might work great and we still don't understand why. So if VGs work, please let us know. It's a cool and cheap way to make our planes fly even better.

2) Now that we're on a first name basis, my name is Pontus. Yes, it's a name. No, it's not even very common in Sweden. No, i did not kill Jesus.
NJSwede is online now Find More Posts by NJSwede
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:11 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,469 Posts
If the name isnt all that common what are the odds that you didnt.(besides the 2K+ year difference ) I know the spelling isnt exact but hey

Nice to meet you Pontus
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:26 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Guys, sorry I mentioned the VG and added the photos.... jeezzzzzz...

I read some good work over on the EF 60" edge threads and thought I'd give it a crack.... sorry...

Anyway, motors.

Did some more testing this morning to confirm motor/prop combo.

Motrolfly DM2820-750
ESC Plush60A timing set to high.
Turnigy 40C 4s2200 lipo

Vox 15x6 prop 63A, 973W
APC 15x6 prop 71A, 1106W
Vox 14x7 prop 60A, 924W
APC 14x7 prop 57A, 873W

All fresh lipo and 15 min cool down between tests.

So it looks to me that in 14" prop the vox pulls more then the apc but in 15" the trend is reversed with the apc pulling significantly more amps and watts.

Back to the flame wars everyone... sorry for talking about the plane again.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:29 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post

I read some good work over on the EF 60" edge threads and thought I'd give it a crack.... sorry...

Anyway, motors.

Did some more testing this morning to confirm motor/prop combo.

Motrolfly DM2820-750
ESC Plush60A timing set to high.
Turnigy 40C 4s2200 lipo

Vox 15x6 prop 63A, 973W
APC 15x6 prop 71A, 1106W
Vox 14x7 prop 60A, 924W
APC 14x7 prop 57A, 873W

All fresh lipo and 15 min cool down between tests.

So it looks to me that in 14" prop the vox pulls more then the apc but in 15" the trend is reversed with the apc pulling significantly more amps and watts.

Back to the flame wars everyone... sorry for talking about the plane again.
You pull almost the identical wattage as me on an apc 14x7. So apparently KV is the same (your 2820 750 and my 3615 750) Good to see my numbers were not to far out there. I will test my 15x6 and see if its close to yours
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:30 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,469 Posts
Oh do you have a tach? I would love to compare tack readings
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:32 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Oh do you have a tach? I would love to compare tack readings
Yes, how about I tach on the vox 15x6 as that back on the plane all setup to fly this afternoon.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:34 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,469 Posts
All I have is the poor old APC-E prop But Yes I would still love to see what you are getting regaurdless. I will test my APC-E tomorrow
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:35 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Matt, did you ever get a meter reading on the sunnysky 2820 with the 14x8.5 on it?
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:36 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
OK.
Retested.

Vox15x6
64A, 989W, 8370rpm peak.

Hows them apples?
Last edited by bigroger; Apr 16, 2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Got the amps wrong.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
OK.
Retested.

Vox15x6
94A, 989W, 8370rpm peak.

Hows them apples?
lotta amps for low watts... are you running 3s?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:41 PM
USA, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Jun 2008
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
PS: I'll loose even more respect for you if you start defending HK copying 3DHS's color scheme. That was plane WRONG.
I love flying and after 20+ years of flying in the Navy, as a retired officer, I really enjoy the hobby. ALL of these plans have pros and cons. some more, some less than others. This plane is a great value for what it is. It flys well and I enjoy flying it.

The color scheme for 3DHS is not their original, but many are too young to realize it. Not too much from the old times on 3DHS threads knocking them for their color selection.

Just enjoy the plane and the hobby. This is what it is all about. The VG's seem like a good idea and I look forward to hearing if they accomplish what is desired. I have PA Bandit and it has the VG's on it. Only thing I don't like about VG's is having to keep the wings seperate to keep from making holes in things. I wind up having to keep them in bags most of the time.

Enjoy the HOBBY and share the good things. Life is too short to get all spun up about trivial stuff.
wblacker is online now Find More Posts by wblacker
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:50 PM
3D Wannabe
United States, NJ, Mendham Township
Joined Jul 2011
862 Posts
Quote:
In all seriousness, the most fun part of this hobby, in my opinion, is to take a cheap product and mod the hell out of it and make it awesome. I took my cheap foamie trainers, clipped the wings, put an insane motor and ESC on them and approached 100mph. That was one of my most exciting experiences so far, and it was all junk foamie trainer and HK parts...

Therefore, keep it coming and go out and fly the thing and tell us what happened! I'm really excited about it.
NJSwede is online now Find More Posts by NJSwede
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:53 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Quote:
lotta amps for low watts... are you running 3s?
smarty.... it was supposed to read 64A
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:57 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
PS: I'll loose even more respect for you if you start defending HK copying 3DHS's color scheme. That was plane WRONG.
I'm not defending it, I honestly just don't care. Nor do I care if I have respect from someone in Vegas I've never met... I'm here for information about a hobby that I spend too much time and money on. If we agree on something we agree, if we don't we don't... I'm not losing sleep over it. If you're losing respect for someone you've never met because of an opinion on a color scheme, then clearly we view respect differently...

I throw my opinions around, but i'm not one for trashing other members of these forums... You seem to draw a lot of negative attention towards yourself, and I've even tried to defend you at times, but i don't think you care either... so if we are all on the same page there, lets get back to this hobby...
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
but i don't think you care either... so if we are all on the same page there, lets get back to this hobby...
no, i dont really. I try to help those who are genuinely friendly and helpful, and for the rest, this is free entertainment.
Like I said, this thread is 90% entertainment, and at least for me, so is most of RCG.