SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:13 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,601 Posts
Let's all go to the guy looking to buy a buddy box and tell him just give his Tx to someone who knows how to fly!

This thread is 85% useless but it's Jersey Shore entertaining... Even Slick/Gyro sold his plane and told us all he was taking a break from this thread. That lasted a whole 5 minutes! I tell ya, it's like a car accident, you just can't help but look at this topic!
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:21 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
This thread is 85% useless but it's Jersey Shore entertaining... Even Slick/Gyro sold his plane and told us all he was taking a break from this thread. That lasted a whole 5 minutes! I tell ya, it's like a car accident, you just can't help but look at this topic!
It is true! This thread is like crack! I especially like Long Leng's posts, they are extremely enlightenting. I've learned the most in this thread from reading his posts.

But seriously, I'm only hanging out now to offer you all advice and share my experiences with this high quality airframe.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:23 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
a bit less frustration and life is quiet ok
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:26 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
Well this may not be the least expensive, but if you really want to impress the crowd this will do the trick.

http://youtu.be/eMiO9VOKLzE

GyroBot 900 - Lipo Akku Brushless Motor Regler Luftschrauben Gyro
good video, then again it shows that gyros are just good to hold position
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
It is true! This thread is like crack! I especially like Long Leng's posts, they are extremely enlightenting. I've learned the most in this thread from reading his posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by long leng View Post
a bit less frustration and life is quiet ok
SEE WHAT I''M TALKING ABOUT! This guy is an RC Savant!
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:30 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,601 Posts
Quote:

But seriously, I'm only hanging out now to offer you all advice and share my experiences with this high quality airframe.
All 3 days of experience?!?
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:33 PM
3D Wannabe
United States, NJ, Mendham Township
Joined Jul 2011
849 Posts
Quote:
Let's all go to the guy looking to buy a buddy box and tell him just give his Tx to someone who knows how to fly!

It kind of sucks for those of us who own the plane and are seriously looking for tips and tricks, though...
NJSwede is online now Find More Posts by NJSwede
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
All 3 days of experience?!?
Yep, all 11 flights and 1:04 hours of flight time. Felt like an eternity of experience to me!
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:35 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
Quote:
SEE WHAT I''M TALKING ABOUT! This guy is an RC Savant!
glad to help you.
wouldnt be surprised if you sign in and out a few more times....and lol, you might get another slick as well
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
It kind of sucks for those of us who own the plane and are seriously looking for tips and tricks, though...
maybe, but if remember, you've benefited from this thread as well:

Quote:
Sad to see you go. The fact that you did have some problem that you were able to (partially) correct is interesting in itself, since it teaches the rest of us to deal with it if we should face the same issue.

I hope you reconsider!
Quote:
Thanks Gyro! That's exactly what I was looking for. Can't believe I missed them...
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:45 PM
3D Wannabe
Joined Jul 2011
849 Posts
Quote:
maybe, but if remember, you've benefited from this thread as well:
Don't take it personally. I have an issue with general tone and noise level rather than a certain individual.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:47 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
any more flights njswede?
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:57 PM
3D Wannabe
Joined Jul 2011
849 Posts
Quote:
any more flights njswede?
Not today. I got five or six flights yesterday. The first couple of flights weren't good at all. I've been flying my MoneyShot a lot lately, which requires almost no airspeed to stay flying, so I had to get used to the stall characteristics of the Slick. It's definitely a lot less forgiving, especially on final turns and landings.

As for post stall, if I slow it down and successively add up elevator to get it into a harrier, it does indeed have wing rock just as it makes the stall transition. Absolutely no doubt about that. But I think, in my noob mind, that the trick is to take it a tad beyond that point. As I said before, adding more pressure on the elevator (while compensating with the throttle to keep her in the air) I could get the wing rock to stop. Also, I think I only have about 45 degrees elevator throw and I may have to address that.

I only tried high altitude hovers (too scared) and they felt good. As good as they can feel to someone who can barely hold a hover. It was a bit turbulent yesterday, so the wind pushed me out of the hover, but I think this will be a good hover trainer for me.

Since I'm pretty inexperienced, I will need time to figure this plane out. I don't see anything right now that can't be attributed to my inexperience with planes of this caliber.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:06 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,685 Posts
Quote:
as for my understanding.....a gyro gets confused by any high alpha
No reason at all that it should. The main potential problem that I can envisage when flying close to stall or beyond is that the gyro, in trying to lift a stalling wing, will add down aileron on that wing which could possibly only serve to stall it more. Unlike a human the gyro cant tell that the correction is having an undesirable effect and just keeps adding more aileron in an attempt to pick the falling wing up.. This 'may' have been part of the issue when my Slick flicked out of it's harrier, but there again it could have just been my lack of skill, but I know I didn't put a 'wrong one on' as such.

For me the gyro is just an interesting little gizmo that has the potential to improve certain aspects of the models flight and is fun to play with. Stuff like knife edge, knife edge loops and reversals, multi point rolls, stall turns etc are ridiculously easy with the gyro enabled and allow these manoeuvres to be flown with amazing precision. Also stability is windy conditions is a revelation.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:11 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Not today. I got five or six flights yesterday. The first couple of flights weren't good at all. I've been flying my MoneyShot a lot lately, which requires almost no airspeed to stay flying, so I had to get used to the stall characteristics of the Slick. It's definitely a lot less forgiving, especially on final turns and landings.

As for post stall, if I slow it down and successively add up elevator to get it into a harrier, it does indeed have wing rock just as it makes the stall transition. Absolutely no doubt about that. But I think, in my noob mind, that the trick is to take it a tad beyond that point. As I said before, adding more pressure on the elevator (while compensating with the throttle to keep her in the air) I could get the wing rock to stop. Also, I think I only have about 45 degrees elevator throw and I may have to address that.

I only tried high altitude hovers (too scared) and they felt good. As good as they can feel to someone who can barely hold a hover. It was a bit turbulent yesterday, so the wind pushed me out of the hover, but I think this will be a good hover trainer for me.

Since I'm pretty inexperienced, I will need time to figure this plane out. I don't see anything right now that can't be attributed to my inexperience with planes of this caliber.
In my experience a good harrier is much more difficult than a hover. Keep practicing and I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. 45 degrees of throw on the elevator seems pretty low. I don't know what mine is but it's almost straight up and down...