HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:59 PM
3D Wannabe
United States, NJ, Mendham Township
Joined Jul 2011
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Rear end of the battery tray is where I put mine, handy for the servo wires coming from the wings and the tail. It can also go on the cross member just behind the wing tube which gives great access, that's where I re-located my Rx when the gyro unit took over the space on the battery tray. There is tons of space in the fus of the Slick so you are spoiled for choice.
I'm always a little worried about installing a 2.4GHz RX too close to the battery due to shadowing issues.
NJSwede is online now Find More Posts by NJSwede
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:02 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
I'm always a little worried about installing a 2.4GHz RX too close to the battery due to shadowing issues.
no problem, just route the antennas away from there.

btw, the aj and the hk have the same holes for the motors.
@losi....well bought, looking for your report.
@gyro: lol
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:38 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
One AJ slick that I didn't really fully care for was the 59. I love the 42, 51, 71, and 89. The 59 flys more like the extras that 3dhs produces not a slick. Not that its a bad thing but when you know how all the others fly and you fly the 59 its just not right. Its still a great flying plane but it just doesn't fly like the other slicks
I've heard that about the 59"... I guess I'll just have to save up for the 71"...
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
Unless you are using really "short" antenna there should not be a problem.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:50 PM
Currently flyin Crack Yak
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2006
364 Posts
Flew the slick tonight amazing how it floats . I can fly hands off for over 100 yards balanced perfect. Time to start bringing it low and slow. Did Harrier at about 10 feet high no wing rock on it
ryanotown22 is offline Find More Posts by ryanotown22
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:11 PM
Currently flyin Crack Yak
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2006
364 Posts
Flew the slick tonight amazing how it floats . I can fly hands off for over 100 yards balanced perfect. Time to start bringing it low and slow. Did Harrier at about 10 feet high no wing rock on it
ryanotown22 is offline Find More Posts by ryanotown22
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Now I'm confused! Good 3D plane or bad 3D plane Slick flies better with good electronic Slick flies better with meticulous assembling Both of the above
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:22 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
I did... they're out of stock on all but the blue one, and I'm not the biggest fan of the blue scheme... seems like it'd be easy to loose orientation on a blue sky
I have the blue scheme.and all the pics don't do it justice really.the blue is much nicer in real than on any of the pics.I have no problem with orientation on that babe
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:08 AM
Tree Trimmer
alex va.
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
bryansifsof44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
I was just saying if it was a true 840kv motor that wasn't restricted in any way it should be pulling more amps. For example 840kv x 14.8v = 12432RPM vs 750kv x 14.8v = 11100RPM. Spinning same prop = more watts and amps. Similar size motor that can't keep up with the load needs to do something with the energy turning it to heat and overheating the motor. If your motor stays cool... you'll be fine. Its all about the motor getting supplied power efficiently to the prop without turning to excessive heat in motor. The extra draw from the 90kv has to go somewhere. Again this is without restricting motor with ESC, or end points. The motor has specs, but in the end its all about heat, and the specs are established to keep the heat under control so motor isn't damaged. From the information provided the motor is either a lower kv or restricted in some way. I think Steve probably hit the head on the nail suggesting motor was 650-700kv. For reference my motor is 172 grams with xmount, prop adapter, nut and washer(no prop). I am running 4s, 14x7 prop, Castle Ice lite 75 amp. Motor is a calculated 752kv pulling almost 950watts @ just over 62amps on a fresh SkyLipo 2650 30C battery sagging to 15.2volts. Spinning that 14 x 7 is as big as I am going to prop it for now. Motor doesn't heat up at least so far in cool temps... we'll see what summer brings for me tho.

It is desirable if it its giving you enough power for the plane swinging a prop that makes you fly the way you want to. Also, keeping the motor/ESC from getting excessively hot. Your probably fine, since your within the specs of the motor. Wouldn't hurt to check the coils with a IR heat gun... maybe someone else could chime in with a acceptable max temp. Hope it helps!

If its not buy a motrolfly
Thanks bryansifsof44; The motor does stay very cool in 80 degrees temperatures and fly's with plenty of power.
bonner is offline Find More Posts by bonner
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:12 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonner View Post
Thanks bryansifsof44; The motor does stay very cool in 80 degrees temperatures and fly's with plenty of power.
I would be interesting if someone could do a rough kv check on one of these motors. It's easy if you have a data logger such as built into the Castle Ice ESC, just run the motor with no prop at WOT and divide RPM by the voltage recorded on the logger.. It's a rough method but would be near enough to establish in the motor is really in th 840kv ballpark.

Its not unknown for Hobbyking to supply various different kv motors all under the same motor listing making it a complete lottery as to what you actually get.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:17 AM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,303 Posts
I have two of the SK3 840kvt motors (one for my Moneyshot and one for this plane if I decide to buy it) the first one came out at 830kvt, the 2nd was 824kvt tested. So they seem decently close to designed on the kvt range.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:18 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
I have two of the SK3 840kvt motors (one for my Moneyshot and one for this plane if I decide to buy it) the first one came out at 830kvt, the 2nd was 824kvt tested. So they seem decently close to designed on the kvt range.
What power and amp results were you getting and what prop?
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:19 AM
Tree Trimmer
alex va.
Joined Oct 2008
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
What power and amp results were you getting and what prop?
Yea, that would really be informative if you and a few others posted your watts and amps with a 14x7 prop using the SK 3548 840kv motor or, whatever prop your using.
bonner is offline Find More Posts by bonner
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:23 AM
Joined Feb 2011
226 Posts
So where approx are youre CG set at after all the adjusting?
Ola. is online now Find More Posts by Ola.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:30 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,196 Posts
Most (including me) have found that the recommended 99mm is good.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer