SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:20 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
Another question: Where do you guys install the receiver on your Slicks?
Rear end of the battery tray is where I put mine, handy for the servo wires coming from the wings and the tail. It can also go on the cross member just behind the wing tube which gives great access, that's where I re-located my Rx when the gyro unit took over the space on the battery tray. There is tons of space in the fus of the Slick so you are spoiled for choice.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:25 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
Took out the Slick for a maiden today. Ran 8 packs through it and 2 through my EF Edge.
Thanks for the flight report, further proof if it was needed that the Slick is a perfectly good plane for 3D in the right hands. For me the EF Edge is a lot easier to handle post stall but that says as much about my 3D skills as it does about the Slick.

I'm looking forward to getting mine fixed up, progress is a little slow due to 'real life' getting in the way but I'll get there eventually.

Steve
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:26 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
Bummer, i like the cul de sac vids.
well next time I head to SC I will take some cul-de-sac video. My mom is in the hospital again(I believe she still has 10 more day in there) so I might be back there sooner than later
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:33 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
OK when I goit the slick I am going to fly it with the stuff that in it. Then I am going to pull the equipment out of my AJ slick (ice lite 100, hitec 5085mg servos, and motrolfly 3615 750kv motor) and install it in the HK slick that way I have a 100% fair comparison between the two planes. If it flys good enough with the stuff that comes with it it will go back in. Though if there is THAT much of a difference with my stuff in it I guess some new quipment will have to be ordered.

I can't wait to see how this thing is going to fly
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:48 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
I'm curious to see more flight reports from people who currently fly AJ Slicks. I'll be the first to admit my 3d skills are up and coming, but nowhere near where I want to be. I can not do rolling harriers 5ft off the ground, but one day I would love to! My ultimate goal is to get into a 59"+ AJ or EXP, and hopefully after flying around what I have for a while, I will be able to perform these maneuvers with ease on the bigger, more expensive models!

One thing I wanted to add about my flight report, the aileron servos that were in MWargo's video aren't very good. I would go ahead and get the ones on the tail, on the whole plane. Other than that, I had no issues yet...
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:53 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
One AJ slick that I didn't really fully care for was the 59. I love the 42, 51, 71, and 89. The 59 flys more like the extras that 3dhs produces not a slick. Not that its a bad thing but when you know how all the others fly and you fly the 59 its just not right. Its still a great flying plane but it just doesn't fly like the other slicks
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:55 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,017 Posts
You will have to do a few mods to get the AJ Slick hardware fitted. The servos wont go in unless you open up the holes, which would mean the Savox's couldn't be put back in unless you filled in the holes again.. And the cross mount on your motor will probably be too large for the HK Slick motor mount plate unless you do some modification..

The HK slick seems to be set up with smaller lighter hardware in mind.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:01 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
You will have to do a few mods to get the AJ Slick hardware fitted. The servos wont go in unless you open up the holes, which would mean the Savox's couldn't be put back in unless you filled in the holes again.. And the cross mount on your motor will probably be too large for the HK Slick motor mount plate unless you do some modification..

The HK slick seems to be set up with smaller lighter hardware in mind.
* The Motrolfly X mount will work perfectly with the mounting holes for the motor I have installed.
* I didn't sell it with the Savox... those are going into my U-AMR if I can ever get my hands on one.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:14 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
Well I have some extra 5065mg servos too
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:22 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
* The Motrolfly X mount will work perfectly with the mounting holes for the motor I have installed.
Losie's motor is the DM3615 which has a larger stator diameter so I assume a larger cross-mount than the 28mm stator Sunny-sky or DM2820..

Or did you fit a larger motor?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Losie's motor is the DM3615 which has a larger stator diameter so I assume a larger cross-mount than the 28mm stator Sunny-sky or DM2820..

Or did you fit a larger motor?
You're right, I was thinking DM2820 in my head. He'll have a very hard time getting a DM3515 on this plane.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:26 PM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
* I didn't sell it with the Savox... those are going into my U-AMR if I can ever get my hands on one.
Just order one directly from PA.I ave an AMR and love it.It scares me sh*tless though,but that;s only cus I still 3d like a wahoo Im used too MUCH slower planes,like may ADDY and foamies still can't wait to get some spare time to start my slick.hate it just sitting in it's box sreaming "build me,build me"
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:29 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,885 Posts
Quote:
Losie's motor is the DM3615 ...
Quote:
... He'll have a very hard time getting a DM3515 on this plane.
I'm getting confused and I'd like to follow the models being discussed.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
Just order one directly from PA.I ave an AMR and love it.It scares me sh*tless though,but that;s only cus I still 3d like a wahoo Im used too MUCH slower planes,like may ADDY and foamies still can't wait to get some spare time to start my slick.hate it just sitting in it's box sreaming "build me,build me"
I did... they're out of stock on all but the blue one, and I'm not the biggest fan of the blue scheme... seems like it'd be easy to loose orientation on a blue sky
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:59 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
Took out the Slick for a maiden today. Ran 8 packs through it and 2 through my EF Edge.
I noticed that CG was a huge factor in even the smallest adjustments. I landed and adjusted my CG 1-3 times per flight. Now on my setup I used the cheap HK setup that MWargo used in his video. I used 4s 2200 packs and comfortably got 5-6 minutes on each pack with 30-40% left.
Knife edges needed a bit of up elevator and with full rudder it did have the tendency to roll out a bit. Hovered with ease, was able to waterfall and blender very easily. My favorite thing to do with this plane was pop tops. I had watched one of Wamsy's videos on pop-tops and was able to pull it off with ease on the Slick. This plane wants to float and loves to fly post stall, I wasn't having any issues with wing rock on harriers. I had a bit of a crosswind on landing and was able to float it in smooth with no issues.

Overall:
For under $300 I believe that this plane is perfect for beginner/intermediate 3d guys who either want to move up in size or into balsa. It ripped through 10mph winds much better than my smaller 48"EXP and was much easier to see in the air. It performed all that I am capable of doing very similar to my EXP. if I had to start over again, I would start with this plane then save up for a 60" EXP or a 59" AJ Slick. I am very glad I purchased this plane, and even though I have an Extreme Flight in my hangar, I will definitely be flying the heck out of this one!
cool & great
sounds right to me
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng