Closed Thread
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:39 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Discussion
Showdown! Micro EDF Sabre Vs. Micro EDF Mig

Since neither of the current Production model Micro EDF Jet threads want us posting anything about the competitions model, let's post our experiences here when we have both of the released micro EDF jets at our field or indoor event and the dog-fighting and 'personal favourite' comparisons start!

Bring it on!

NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:50 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
cough* cannibalize one into a ta-183 cough*
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:47 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,025 Posts
I thought about getting the Sabre a few days ago with the AnyLink widget, to use with my DX8. Then I thought, well that is stupid when I can get the "prettier" Mig 15 with AS3X and not have to worry about some cobbled up contra-mas hanging off the side of my transmitter.
So I will wait........
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:22 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
But that's based on the fact that you have a DSM Txer...

The supplied free Anylink system helps those who don't have a tactic Txer (which is quite courteous of the Company) to still be able to fly GP models using their own trusty Txer, unlike the HH idea of forcing you to get a DSM Txer or go home.... I have a DSM2 Txer so it's a non issue for me.

Many of the guys flying at my field don't have a DSM Txer so it will be just me because I know they are not going to shell out 169 bucks for the jet and then another 300 for the txer just to fly it.

I have been notified that my Sabre has been shipped so now I wait....

A Heads up

Just so every one is clear I do hope to have both of these models (especially if the upcoming flying club boot sale works well for me) and I use a DSM2 Txer (a DX7) and all my receivers are DSM/2 and I am not bashing any product or any company at all.

Last edited by NitroCharged; Feb 17, 2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:23 AM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
852 Posts
took a peek at mine today, looks like the F86 stock RX has the same pinout as the Hobbyking R415 orange Rx., link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Receiver_.html

if you really wanted the F-86 and not the piggyback system on your transmitter. I'm giving the Anylink a chance though on mine, but I have a r415 at the ready if desired.
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:04 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher41 View Post
took a peek at mine today, looks like the F86 stock RX has the same pinout as the Hobbyking R415 orange Rx., link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Receiver_.html

if you really wanted the F-86 and not the piggyback system on your transmitter. I'm giving the Anylink a chance though on mine, but I have a r415 at the ready if desired.
You would miss the AS3X technology though.... So far, it's been awesome on their Beast and Gee Bee and without it, the Mig would simply likely be "another" EDF....

For me it's more the other way around.... Wish I could plug the AS3X receiver into the Sabre!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 18, 2012, 02:46 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post

[/CENTER]

Since neither of the current Production model Micro EDF Jet threads want us posting anything about the competitions model, let's post our experiences here when we have both of the released micro EDF jets at our field or indoor event and the dog-fighting and 'personal favourite' comparisons start!

Bring it on!

I think it's more the HH fans than anyone else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
I thought about getting the Sabre a few days ago with the AnyLink widget, to use with my DX8. Then I thought, well that is stupid when I can get the "prettier" Mig 15 with AS3X and not have to worry about some cobbled up contra-mas hanging off the side of my transmitter.
So I will wait........
Ron
Uh what???

Quote:
But that's based on the fact that you have a DSM Txer...

The supplied free Anylink system helps those who don't have a tactic Txer (which is quite courteous of the Company) to still be able to fly GP models using their own trusty Txer, unlike the HH idea of forcing you to get a DSM Txer or go home.... I have a DSM2 Txer so it's a non issue for me.

Many of the guys flying at my field don't have a DSM Txer so it will be just me because I know they are not going to shell out 169 bucks for the jet and then another 300 for the txer just to fly it.
I have been notified that my Sabre has been shipped so now I wait....

A Heads up

Just so every one is clear I do hope to have both of these models (especially if the upcoming flying club boot sale works well for me) and I use a DSM2 Txer (a DX7) and all my receivers are DSM/2 and I am not bashing any product or any company at all.

Awesome they are throwing in the Anylink system for free!
now I can buy other planes they offer and fly to my hearts desire with any radio I want!
and I have forgotten that not only is the Mig more, but you need to spend more to actually fly the thing if you don't have a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher41 View Post

good find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
For me it's more the other way around.... Wish I could plug the AS3X receiver into the Sabre!
that could be fun.. but then again those who fly EDF jets may not even want it...
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:16 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
RG - you're pouting the AS3X technology is a saviour to the masses. Me thinks you need to increase your flying skills the way you talk like you couldn't live without it. LOL (just having some fun with ya)

The one major thing it is promoted for in the Mig's setup is it will smooth out a bumpy ride if the wind is billowing about. Seeing the Sabre fly pretty well in 20mph winds without any gyro's should of made you scratch your head in thought already.

I will be removing the board from the Mig and putting a normal rxer in to test the difference in flight. I'm surprised HH hasn't done this and flown side by side in the bumpy weather to show how the system operates by showing a direct comparison in flight.

Brushless55 - nice comeback on the anylink system mounted on the txer. How neat and tidy and small does that look!?!

Fun times ahead...
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:49 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,905 Posts
Quote:
Brushless55 - nice comeback on the anylink system mounted on the txer. How neat and tidy and small does that look!?!

Fun times ahead...
Thank you..
another picture, as you can see some heat shrink I used to tidy things on mine..
and for the price, how in the world can you beat it?
no need for a $300 radio
and also my fingers are not bothered by the wires at all

Old Feb 18, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Thank you..
another picture, as you can see some heat shrink I used to tidy things on mine..
and for the price, how in the world can you beat it?
no need for a $300 radio
and also my fingers are not bothered by the wires at all

Looks great!!!...Even if the wires did bother your fingers thanks goes out to GP for providing enough cable to route the wires in just about any conceivable configuration you desire...I'm happy to say that the hobby shop that I deal with has found a Sabre for me!!!...Can't hardly wait.......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:13 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
AS3X isnt a cheat in-experienced flyers. All the AS3X is give almost perfect neutral stability, smooths things out so its like a much bigger model. Saying that "AS3X takes the skill out of flying" is like saying "Oh my micro edf reacts so much faster than your larger EDF that you dont have enough skill."
I love both products, i would buy the Sabre if they were in stock, anylink is amazing. One of the best innovations in the hobby. But dont bash AS3X because of some generalization, fly it, or talk with(not at)someone that likes it. AS3X does make airplanes easier to fly, but in the same way that a good airframe is smooth and has little coupling is easier to fly than an airframe that has some bad tendencies.
They are both great airplanes, they both have pros and cons, just don't make over generalizations about something you haven't in some way experienced.
Is that biased or unreasonable? Im not saying the sabre flies worse, just that AS3X isn't a cheat, its an aide like expo, or pre-built ARFs.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,905 Posts
1) how about the price of the stock batteries?
GP lipos are 1/2 the price, so twice the flying for the price of the other guy..
Last edited by brushless55; Feb 18, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:28 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
airpower - who are you directing your comments to? Your grammar make it difficult to work that out...
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:58 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
Sorry about my grammar, im directing my comments towards false assumptions about the system, there is alot of ways i could have worded it better. This thread should be a fair comparison, not for saying anylink is bad or that gyros take skill out of flying.
Brushless55, the eflite lipos are terribly overpriced, allerc sells PNP hyperions for about ten dollars a piece, much more reasonable.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Brushless55, the eflite lipos are terribly overpriced, allerc sells PNP hyperions for about ten dollars a piece, much more reasonable.
Agreed
Closed Thread