HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2012, 05:01 PM
Bountiful, Utah
Joined Dec 2003
97 Posts
Discussion
How much downthrust on Skybench Big Bird XL electric?

I am currently building the Ray Hayes Big Bird XL using a Turnigy outrunner 3536-1100 motor with 12-6 prop. I should be plenty of power to get the sailplane up quick.

The plans show a geared motor setup, but I've read it is very slow and lacking much power. The plans for the electric conversion with that slow puny geared motor shows 2 degrees down thrust and 2 degrees right thrust. Should I stay with that off-set or use more?

Any of you have good experience with Turnigy motors from China?
dwmumford is offline Find More Posts by dwmumford
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:49 AM
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Joined Sep 2007
739 Posts
Dw,

Can't help you on the thrust angle, but someone will chime in with some info for you.

Turnigy motors...I only have one and that's in a 2.5m ship. I was a bit leery at first eventhough the designers of the plane recommended the Turnigy for power. I cannot recall the model number but it is rated at 650Kv. The first thing I did when I received the motor, was to take it apart and have a look. I am not a technician, but the motor is nicely finished and performs very well with two seasons and many, many flights.

Dave
Highride is offline Find More Posts by Highride
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:09 AM
United States, PA, Perry
Joined Apr 2002
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmumford View Post
I am currently building the Ray Hayes Big Bird XL using a Turnigy outrunner 3536-1100 motor with 12-6 prop. I should be plenty of power to get the sailplane up quick.

The plans show a geared motor setup, but I've read it is very slow and lacking much power. The plans for the electric conversion with that slow puny geared motor shows 2 degrees down thrust and 2 degrees right thrust. Should I stay with that off-set or use more?

Any of you have good experience with Turnigy motors from China?
Dave, I just set up a Skybird for electric. I have 3 BigBirds flying with electric For a 30 sec. climb to altitude, I don't worry too much about downthrust. I just program a little down elevator into the throttle, and fly the plane. Wait until you have it flying to do this, in the meantime, I just eyeball a little downthrust and a very little right thrust in the mount. Bill G
BTW, how you doing Dave?
Hawksnest is offline Find More Posts by Hawksnest
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:49 PM
Bountiful, Utah
Joined Dec 2003
97 Posts
Hi Bill,

good to hear from you! I am doing well except I have not done nearly as much flying the past few years as I'd like. This Big Bird XL has been sitting with the wing half done for 4 years. My time is pretty limited. Well, in January I decided to finish this project by spring no matter what. So the wings are finished with servos mounted in the wings ready to cover. The fuse is what I am working on now.

I will just use the 2 degrees down and 2 degrees right thrust as Ray Hays plans show. I am a little befuddled about how to handle the nose and motor construction, but I will figure it out. I purchased the aeronaught folding prop and turbo spinner for air flow. the BB XL should be a nice flyer.

Dave
dwmumford is offline Find More Posts by dwmumford
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:06 PM
United States, PA, Perry
Joined Apr 2002
493 Posts
I have an XL I've been flying ever since Ray announced it, maybe 5 years ago. I just last year converted it to E power. It's a good flyer, you will like it. Bill
Hawksnest is offline Find More Posts by Hawksnest