HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:56 PM
Baltimore Bwi Rr Stn, Maryland, United States
Joined Oct 2003
520 Posts
Hey, you guys like lemings want to run of a cliff be my guest. The sky is falling!! The sky is falling!! You guys need to read the news. Lithium battery fires are catching the interest of national press. The anti-lithium folks aren't far behind.
whanderson is offline Find More Posts by whanderson
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2003, 02:07 PM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
Your logic makes no sense there, whanderson.

You don't want the anti-lithium contingent to take the lithium cells off the market, but you don't want anyone to see the firey results of an overcharged lipo which may encourage folks to be more careful and thus prevent any further bad news from being publicized.

We lemmings have been reading the news about lipos right here on Ezone. It appears you have a lot of catching-up to do.

I don't consider charging a single lipo at a 2 cell setting an extreme condition. Nor do I consider charging a 2s pack at a 3s setting an extreme condition, as it is what has been happening in the case of some of the reported fires, whether intentional or not. There are failure modes for lipos that we are not aware of yet. In the case of Gary Wright, he probably used the same charger to charge that same lipo pack 100 times before the fire. What was different on the 101 time he tried to charge them that resulted in the firey destruction of some expensive equipment?

According to the tests posted by one manufacturer, these fires should not be occurring. If the tests show that a single cell charged at 12v and 1 amp caused no fire or explosion, why then does a cell explode when charged at 8.4v and 1 amp?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...510#post756510

If you have pictures of a nicad or nimh pack exploding in a ball of flame from overcharging it, please post the pictures for us. We would all like to see them.
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Old Oct 15, 2003, 02:38 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Whanderson, perhaps if your messages were phrased in language more appropriate to your stated profession (aerospace engineer) than in the style of the National Enquirer or Mad Magazine, you'd have a better chance of making your point with others. If the purpose of this thread is simply to "stir things up," as you mentioned was your goal in another one of the exciting threads that you started, you really aren't doing anyone a favor. This whole forum was "stirred up" for a long time over lithium safety issues, and all that resulted was a lot of animosity. The people you are addressing here understand from experience that it's not necessary to stir things up on this subject. In fact, it's counter-productive.

Please let us know by the tone of your future responses if you would like to be taken seriously on this forum.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Oct 15, 2003, 04:00 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,917 Posts
Availability is second to user safety in my book. If non-availability is how the cookie crumbles, so be it.

But it isn't this forum that's going to create a non-availability situation, it's the accidents that make the insurance companies records and any serious accidents that get TV/news coverage that is going to get this issue in front of the regulators. Hopefully, the Guide will steer users in the right direction and the number of incidents will decrease rather than increase. For me personally, I see that fireball each time I set the V for charging my lipos. It keeps me thinking about the possible consequences of an error on my part.

hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Oct 16, 2003, 05:47 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,587 Posts
For me personally, I see that fireball each time I set the V for charging my lipos. It keeps me thinking about the possible consequences of an error on my part.

hoppy

Hoppy, if LiPos are charged in parallel only, the charger voltage would always be 4.2V - the error you fear, not possible.

There is some pretty neat, compact and lightweight hardware for parallel charging - series discharging on the thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=154208

- RD
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Old Jul 19, 2014, 04:20 PM
Joined Dec 2006
67 Posts
burn and crash! seen it happen many times and nothing left of the airplane, not Once have I seen this with Glow/Gas powered. having said that, I really don't care as long as I don't burn my house down, so I will always charge attended.
snowwhite is offline Find More Posts by snowwhite
Old Jul 19, 2014, 04:35 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,451 Posts
You dragged up a thread over 10 years old to tell us that ? There are some odd people around .

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick