HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:55 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
744 Posts
see next post
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Last edited by mchldpy; Aug 09, 2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: see below
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:02 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
744 Posts
see previous post
Last edited by mchldpy; Aug 10, 2012 at 01:53 AM. Reason: cuz
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:21 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchldpy View Post
hey prof, i just snapped to something you said, you didn't notice it made any diff when moving the sticks around. i think you have to move the plane to see a diff. it's not reacting to your stick movements, it's reacting to movement from where your sticks were when they stopped moving. if i said that right.

mc
Michael,

My lightbulb lit and I tested it in 3D heading hold mode and saw the reduction in servo movement. The rudder was the easiest to tell but the elevons are now better too. By better, they don't over drive the servo to the point of binding.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:29 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
744 Posts
rogee
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:03 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
744 Posts
melnic,
i just put the list with the deleted column added back, sorry bout the confusion

mc
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:56 AM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
744 Posts
mrcsben,
did you try clearing or deleting all switch assignments and then reassign them?
michael clyde
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:12 AM
The Shetland Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Lerwick
Joined Jun 2008
433 Posts
Another couple of flights last night, still with the magical grin that the Guardian produces! It was slightly windier than the previous evening, with gusts approaching 20kts, but I had no apprehension taking her up off grass and she flew beautifully. I decided to leave flying off water until there’s a bit less wind and I’ve treated my Guardian with CorrosionX. Might have to look at some sort of mount mod though, not sure if the foam pad and the glue used in the Guardian will survive dipping in CorrosionX …

Because of the Icon’s “hull” it’s difficult to prop it into flying attitude in the field without the stand (and there’s actually nowhere flat on my flying field anyway) so I’d setup level flight at home. She does seem to descend very slowly in 2D mode so I need to tweak my level flight and trims. Correct me if I’m wrong, but if she’s descending slightly hands off in 2D, I have set level flight slightly nose high? Trims are spot on with the Guardian disabled.

A question regarding expo – I have 20% expo on the ailerons and elevator and it doesn’t seem to be causing any problems but not sure if I really need this with the Guardian in 2D or 3D mode?

My second unit should arrive today and I’m planning on putting it into my 1400 wingspan Cessna which has flaps. I currently have a flap-ele mix of 12% down elevator on full flap to stop the marked pitch up and subsequent retrim required. Will it be OK to leave this mix in or should I just let the Guardian sort out the pitch on flap extension? If I remove it I’m concerned that the Guardian will have to do a lot of work with the elevator to keep her trim – any thoughts?

I currently have the Cessna flaps on the three position switch, so considering assigning a two position switch to 2D/3D and using the gain knob to effectively switch off the Guardian. But just to clarify, would the gain turned down to zero still just pass the Rx signals to the servos in an effective bypass mode or is this not the case and I’ll need to use the three position switch? Not really a show stopper however, as I can use a two position switch for the flaps.

Excellent forecast for the weekend with light winds, so hopefully water flights to report back on and possibly a vid or two!

Cheers,

Rory
RoryG is online now Find More Posts by RoryG
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:28 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryG View Post
A question regarding expo – I have 20% expo on the ailerons and elevator and it doesn’t seem to be causing any problems but not sure if I really need this with the Guardian in 2D or 3D mode?

My second unit should arrive today and I’m planning on putting it into my 1400 wingspan Cessna which has flaps. I currently have a flap-ele mix of 12% down elevator on full flap to stop the marked pitch up and subsequent retrim required. Will it be OK to leave this mix in or should I just let the Guardian sort out the pitch on flap extension? If I remove it I’m concerned that the Guardian will have to do a lot of work with the elevator to keep her trim – any thoughts?

Cheers,

Rory
I still have expo. I fly it and like it best in 3D Rate mode (heading hold=off) with Direct mode enabled.

For the flaps, With using Rate mode, I"d leave the flap elevator mix on , draw the flaps down and just do some fly bys first.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:40 AM
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,043 Posts
I was able to set all my servo limits where I want them last nite, I just hooked it up to computer and with the plane powered up, I just adjusted each value in "servo configuration" to what I wanted, was able to see changes made immediately after hitting the "apply" button, then hitting "OK" when I was done to save....Not all servos were being over driven at both sides, some needed more travel at one end......I currently have all travels set exactly where I want them.
Tatonka is online now Find More Posts by Tatonka
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:48 AM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
744 Posts
you should hit the save button , it'll ask for a name and title and then you have a copy to load into the plane. i've got about 9 now different planes ,different servos, different files.

michael clyde
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:12 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,846 Posts
Been thinking of an analogy for how the guardian works cf transmitter. The guardian is very much like the spinal reflexes that controls the limbs eg keeps you upright on uneven surfaces, even rescuing you if you step in a pothole. The Tx gives the instructions of intent. If I think of the guardian as reflex control, I see why the pilot benefits from all the mixes, dual rates etc. but the guardian just reacts using its own algorithms & the full servo capability.

I certainly would move the pushrod out on the control horn rather than using servo travel adjustment to get my control surface movements right if I were planning to use the guardian in a plane.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:22 AM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Been thinking of an analogy for how the guardian works cf transmitter. The guardian is very much like the spinal reflexes that controls the limbs eg keeps you upright on uneven surfaces, even rescuing you if you step in a pothole. The Tx gives the instructions of intent. If I think of the guardian as reflex control, I see why the pilot benefits from all the mixes, dual rates etc. but the guardian just reacts using its own algorithms & the full servo capability.

I certainly would move the pushrod out on the control horn rather than using servo travel adjustment to get my control surface movements right if I were planning to use the guardian in a plane.
Nice analogy!

Also since guardian lets you choose max angle for 2d and rotation rate in 3d direct rate, it takes care of expo / dual rates for you really. All that is left is just to adjust servo travel so guardian doesnt overextend the servos.

You may still need expo and dual rates for flying with guardian off though

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:47 PM
Polynésie française, Îles du Vent, Papeete
Joined Mar 2010
491 Posts
sorry i didn't read all posts . but i would like to Know if it works with digital servos like hitec 5065mg .
flytahiti is offline Find More Posts by flytahiti
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:48 PM
helikeith
USA, DE, Seaford
Joined Jul 2009
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reegor View Post
Hi John, there might be more demand than you suggest. All the FY stabilizer threads talk about the need to turn down gain for higher speeds.

I had my T-28 with FY-20A stabilizer up yesterday, and found that in 3D (attitude hold) mode, at high speed it oscillated on the roll axis. The Guardian already beats the FY units because the gain can be adjusted from the ground. But when doing any sort of maneuvers your proposal for automatic feedback would still be useful to save constant up/down adjustments.

Elevator feedback is another good idea but I got the impression the ET people were already thinking about throttle feedback (since they pass the throttle channel through the Guardian unit). As you know much better than I, if throttle is too low, then auto-adjusting the elevator to avoid a stall just leads to gradual altitude loss.

I guess there's one situation where this would be worth $100s - if you could tie elevator (or throttle) to both speed and g-forces. Since stall speed rises sharply when g force rises (i.e. in turns) this could save us from spinning out as we turn at low altitude/low speed in the landing pattern But this is Airbus-style fly-by-wire - seems like it calls for some fancy coding that might be beyond the ability of the $75 tiny Guardian unit. It sounds like something that an Arduino autopilot could take on, someday.
I hope I posted this correctly.. I just experimented with my aurora9 by mixing the throttle with the gain channel and that appears to work. I haven't flight tested this but I can view the effect by looking at the monitor screen on the aurora9
keith hertzog is offline Find More Posts by keith hertzog
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:26 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,512 Posts
I pointed out months ago that Gain could be mixed with Throttle and this works well for some aircraft however there are times when you need to be able to switch off such a mix or override it. In 3D doing torque rolls and razzing the throttle a lot it would work against you .

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer