HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:36 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stall warning View Post
I would like to have the option in the software to disable
the stick programming at startup.

An earlier post sounds similar to what I experienced by
accidentally entering stick program mode without knowing
it.

Thanks
+1 Or some other way to make it less likely to make this mistake. At a minimum, the "toggle the switch" should be required to be done in a fraction of a second.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:43 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
I believe this is normal. Rudder does not reset the other channels but moving ail or elv resets all three.
Yes, it is right there on Page 2 of the manual. Here is the section I am referring to in the manual:

3D Heading Hold Submode
Centering the control stick in 3D Mode will engage 3D Heading Lock, which will cause your airplane to hold its present flight orientation
(assuming it is aerodynamically able to do so). In this mode, when the control stick is centered the Guardian remembers its current Pitch,
Roll and Heading and works to keep those locked. Moving the control stick immediately resets the locked heading, allowing for
instantaneous transitions from locked maneuvers to dynamic flight. Actuation of the Rudder control will reset just the Yaw axis, without
affecting the lock on Pitch and Roll.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Aug 06, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:44 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stall warning View Post
i would like to have the option in the software to disable the stick programming at startup.

an earlier post sounds similar to what i experienced by
accidentally entering stick program mode without knowing
it.

Thanks
great idea.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:48 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,851 Posts
I just installed a 3 amp 5 amp peak UBEC on my humble little Superfly with only two servos. I did so because after flying for 5 minutes today in strong winds and landed the 20 amp linear BEC ESC was pretty hot. I don't need a brownout. This plane is equipped with DSM AR6000 receiver which takes 8 seconds or more to reboot.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Jul 2009
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reegor View Post
Jed, I'm very familiar with T-28 on an Aurora 9 Hitec system. You MUST use the SPC port, or some other method of getting more power. The stock BEC that comes with the T-28 is very low power: less than 1 Amp, as I recall. Furthermore, it's a linear BEC. (Mine was an older model - perhaps it has improved, but I would not trust it.) On one of my first flights, I browned out the RX and spiraled into Mission Bay. (Plane was unhurt, it even floated with all electronics out of the salt water! )
The SPC port is reasonably straightforward. Originally, there is one pair of wires between the BEC and the battery plug. Put the SPC plug in parallel with those leads, so that they are plugged into the battery and give you the 11volts. There are several ways to make that connection, but most require soldering. Look on the A9 thread for more information.
The best reason to do this, instead of an RX battery, is from now on you will get a direct telemetry reading of your main battery voltage. No more guessing when to end a flight.

Technical note: there are two sources of increased power draw now. One is telemetry: any 2-way RX is going to require more power. Second, with the Guardian in use, servos work a lot harder supposedly. I put an external BEC on all my planes that cost more than $100 now; and I use the SPC port on everything.
Reegor - conceptually I understand that the SPC connection directly to the battery gives the RX, & only the RX, It's power; that the UBEC gives the power needed for the servos from its direct battery connection; & that the ESC really only functions then to power the motor & pass on throttle signals from the RX. It seems there are a few ways that the electrical connections can be made to do all of this, & I'm still trying to wrap my head around them to decide which might be best. But I hear what you & others are saying & I now understand that a primary function of the SPC port is for electric flying with Hitec radios. And while I generally try to follow the "KISS" principle, I guess this is one situation where that isn't the best idea, as I have already learned the hard way. Thanks for the help. Cheers,

Jed
jedorme is offline Find More Posts by jedorme
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:00 AM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
741 Posts
Hello all,

i have 2 questions and I'm sure somebody have the answers
First one is: guardian is holding 2d mode very well. I fly almost default settings - individual gains at 50% and then Proportional channel at center, as per manual this are almost 100% guardian gain.
But my plane is not holding 3d mode good enough - referring to hovering only. With 3D heading hold on and 3D rate mode default settings.
Should I increase gain when I want to perform a 3D maneuver?

And for the second question I didn't want to hijack this thread with other information not regarding to guardian and I opened a separate thread for that: EagleTree RTH with Guardian 2D/3D
if you have answers for this question, please post on that thread instead of this.

thanks for your helping.
schumixmd is online now Find More Posts by schumixmd
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:05 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
798 Posts
theres two boxes in 3d section of software..
check heading hold is enabled.
and direct rate disabled.
then 3d flying is so simple makes me look like an expert lol...
dazza44 is online now Find More Posts by dazza44
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:31 AM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza44 View Post
theres two boxes in 3d section of software..
check heading hold is enabled.
and direct rate disabled.
then 3d flying is so simple makes me look like an expert lol...
thanks dazza, never though 3d direct rate should be disabled when 3D HeadHold is enables to get more stabilization.
will come back with some feedback after trying this.

thanks
schumixmd is online now Find More Posts by schumixmd
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:38 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedorme View Post
I guess I thought that use of the SPC port was only needed for the really larger or more complex electrics, which I don't fly. Also must admit that I thought it might be more complicated than just using an on board RX battery which I do if I have 3 or more standard size servos. How do you set up the SPC?

Jed
Very simple, if you can solder. Steps:

1. Get a spare servo wire. (Actually, one of these wires should have been included with your rx)

2. Remove the white wire and cut off completely the male (socket) end of the wire.

3. Solder the remaining red and black wire to the esc black and red wire. You will have to first desolder the esc wire from the connector and put in new heat shrink tubing.

4. Once soldered on, shrink the heat-shrink tubing.

5. Remove the SPC plug from the rx and insert the newly soldered SPC wire and you are done. Make sure you plug it in with the correct orientation or you may fry the rx. Best to use a Futaba-type plug with the notch to prevent any mistake

The rx electronics are powered directly by the main batts and the servos will be powered by the ESC or whatever UBEC you insert into any of the servo pins.

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Last edited by chewytm; Aug 06, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:37 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,851 Posts
The detailed how to install a UBEC on Hitec radio system is nice but way off topic for this thread. Better done with a PM.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:09 AM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
656 Posts
i don't know, as far as jed is concerned it is connected directly to his guardian and his relevant problem in using it. it's been 3 1/2 hours since you advised them against posting the info and no one else has posted anything at all so overcrowding can't be much of a concern at this point. my posting this dribble is probably as irrelevant as their stuff was so i would like my share of semi-unneeded chastising ...please...

i'm still waiting

still.
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:11 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
I'm gonna run this by you guys.
I have the Guardian in a 3D plane.
I am flying it in 3D heading Hold mode.

It seems that if I hold it in a hover, it holds the position pretty well, but if I move any stick such as the ailerons, it will lose the elevator & Rudder position. I can duplicate this on the bench by moving the tail say 20 degrees and the rudder will difflect. But once I touch the ailerons, the rudder moves back. Am I missing something here? I have another 3 Axis gyro system (Eagle A3) and when I'm in heading hold mode, touching one axis does not pull re-center the other axis.
Anyone know what I mean?
The Guardian is "mixed" correctly. This is the way it must be to prevent strange stalls or snap spins from occurring.

It sounds like the A3 behaves as though it has three independent and unmixed gyros, so be careful with that one. Especially with tight manuevers at low speeds.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Aug 06, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:14 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchldpy View Post
i don't know, as far as jed is concerned it is connected directly to his guardian and his relevant problem in using it. it's been 3 1/2 hours since you advised them against posting the info and no one else has posted anything at all so overcrowding can't be much of a concern at this point. my posting this dribble is probably as irrelevant as their stuff was so i would like my share of semi-unneeded chastising ...please...

i'm still waiting

still.
Oh please, lighten up, it is just a reminder to keep it on topic.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:12 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,851 Posts
Help me understand

The pronouns are killing me. Below is from the manual.

6. Direct Rate 3D Control
When in 3D Mode, the plane will react much more precisely with this feature enabled. Instead of simply stabilizing the 3D flight, it will
control the rotational rates of the plane directly. This provides very strong disturbance (wind, airframe inertia, etc) rejection without
having to “fight the gyro”. (3D Mode Only)
Note: This feature will expand your servo deflections beyond any limits set on your transmitter, up to the limits set by the Guardian.
See
Expanded / Custom Servo Ranges for more details on how to limit servo deflections.

Radio Stick Menu Options: 1: Off; 2: On
7. Enable 3D Heading Hold
Enables the 3D Heading Hold feature in 3D Mode. Those looking for the stability and precision of the Guardian without anything else
getting between them and their airplane can disable this feature for a rate-gyro experience. (3D Mode Only)
Note: Direct Rate 3D Stabilization is strongly recommended if this mode is set to “Off”.

Does this mean to turn ON Direct Rate 3D Stabilization if 3D Heading Hold is turned off? If so, why?

RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:33 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,361 Posts
Deleted , see

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1388
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Aug 07, 2012 at 07:06 AM.