SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:54 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,649 Posts
I am really not a fan of the 14 page manual such as:
Guardian Configuration Page Software
Reference
The incessant usage of "See .... (fill in the blank)" with no specific reference Page number or paragraph is just bush league. 2nd, the software explanation and the screen prints are not aligned. Normal writing would put them side-by-side, above or below but not a page away. Who the wrote this manual?

There is also a missing element of the manual -- where to do you start with a new plane setup? For example, there should be a recommended gain setting for roll, pitch and yaw. It would be like buying an ARF and no CG is defined.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:57 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
821 Posts
hey david,
what that wouldn't allow for would be the 3 or 4 different frequency and micro seconds settings there are for digital servos, while analogues seem to have 1 setting 50/1520us and digitals have about 3 or 4 different choices for each side of the hash mark ie... frequency and micro seconds.
since i only fly with flysky made tx and rx's i don't actually have any experience with high speed, hell i don't even run @ 6v until i step up to frysky (different than flysky) modules . then i'll be using frysky modules and rx's in flysky hardware with built in telemetry and built in fail safe.
then i'll be running with the big dogs.
did i tell you the unit i got from rctoys was beat up in transit and at first i was concerned they were going to jerk me around, then the other day kyle sent me an email stating "keep the bent one we don't want it , were shipping you another this coming week. ha.
if you've got a micro b cable will you check your s/ware and your config file and see if the values are like mine?

michael clyde
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:00 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
821 Posts
prof100,
+1,+1,+1,+1

michael clyde
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:09 PM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
Joined Feb 2010
821 Posts
hey jed, i was kind of more concerned with getting near or exceeding the 5 amp limit on powering the stab with only 1 wire. i'm a firm believer in the 8o% rule and that knocks it down to 4 amps max draw. i'm pretty sure with that cc ubec you can power 4 servos being driven hard by the stab and your rx. of course it would be nice to know the current usage of that rx and at what point it will brown out..."say goodbye to your stuff"

michael clyde
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:35 PM
United States, LA, Blanchard
Joined Jan 2006
799 Posts
I have both this one and the Fytech FY30A and i love both of them.. now that Fytech came out with the new firmwere for the FY30A, it's way more vibration & temp proof than it was... so haveing over 50 flights on both of them to me they perform the same, as to say very happy.. eather one is a great buy and does the job
randynsaudi is offline Find More Posts by randynsaudi
Last edited by randynsaudi; Aug 05, 2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:48 PM
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,058 Posts
I just installed the Guardian in my 3DHS 41" Edge, currently using a DX6i, got the switches set up so I have a 2D-3D switch and a on - off switch....All the servos seem to be responding correctly EXCEPT the rudder isn't working in 2D when I move the plane around, works fine in 3D though, just as I would expect it would in order to correct for yaw movement.....I have read thru the manual a couple times, don't see anything about this.
Tatonka is offline Find More Posts by Tatonka
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:50 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,649 Posts
Another flight report today with a Guardian equipped Superfly. The wind was blowing like crazy. The stars and stripes was flying straight out. On the Beaufort scale you are talking 25-31 mph. It was so windy planes were being blown off tables. All planes were parked. All that was left flying were helicopters. I showed up with my Guardian equipped Superfly and the set it to 2D with wing leveling. I tossed it into the wind with others betting my little foam delta would be blown around and crash. Not so, I powered it up, gave it a toss in the wind and it flew great. Going downwind was like a bullet train. Coming upwind it would just hang in the air. The gyro was working the two elevon servos like crazy. The 2A linear internal BEC in the 20 AMP ESC came down very, very warm.

I tried the 3D mode but forgot to switch the recently configured MIX switch to the ON position so the 3D mode was shut off (I can only turn off 3D mode. With the switch toggled in either direction 2D always works. When I returned hom I fixed the mix and both UP and DOWN have to be set to -100%.) I switched it back to 2D and it, of course, leveled right out.

Again, it's amazing.

Note to self, install a UBEC to keep from toasting the ESC.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Aug 05, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:06 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
I just installed the Guardian in my 3DHS 41" Edge, currently using a DX6i, got the switches set up so I have a 2D-3D switch and a on - off switch....All the servos seem to be responding correctly EXCEPT the rudder isn't working in 2D when I move the plane around, works fine in 3D though, just as I would expect it would in order to correct for yaw movement.....I have read thru the manual a couple times, don't see anything about this.
One thought; there is a check box in the software for 2D heading hold. You might check to make sure it's enabled.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:42 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
One thought; there is a check box in the software for 2D heading hold. You might check to make sure it's enabled.
I don't see any check box for 2d heading hold. I do see a slider.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Aug 05, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:54 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I'm gonna run this by you guys.
I have the Guardian in a 3D plane.
I am flying it in 3D heading Hold mode.

It seems that if I hold it in a hover, it holds the position pretty well, but if I move any stick such as the ailerons, it will lose the elevator & Rudder position. I can duplicate this on the bench by moving the tail say 20 degrees and the rudder will difflect. But once I touch the ailerons, the rudder moves back. Am I missing something here? I have another 3 Axis gyro system (Eagle A3) and when I'm in heading hold mode, touching one axis does not pull re-center the other axis.
Anyone know what I mean?
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:58 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
2,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I don't see any check box for 2d heading hold. I do see a slider.
You're right, sorry. And it does seem to be active so I'm out of ideas.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:01 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
2,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
I'm gonna run this by you guys.
I have the Guardian in a 3D plane.
I am flying it in 3D heading Hold mode.

It seems that if I hold it in a hover, it holds the position pretty well, but if I move any stick such as the ailerons, it will lose the elevator & Rudder position. I can duplicate this on the bench by moving the tail say 20 degrees and the rudder will difflect. But once I touch the ailerons, the rudder moves back. Am I missing something here? I have another 3 Axis gyro system (Eagle A3) and when I'm in heading hold mode, touching one axis does not pull re-center the other axis.
Anyone know what I mean?
I believe this is normal. Rudder does not reset the other channels but moving ail or elv resets all three.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:32 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,649 Posts
Anybody have experience with Center Stick Stabilization mode? In really high winds it would seem to be a good way of still trying some aerobatics but not having to grab the 2D leveling switch to save some dumb flying or high winds.

2. Center Stick Stabilize Only Mode
This feature is primarily for those who donít have the Mode/Config switch connected, but want the benefits of 2D mode while also being able to perform acrobatics. Maximum 2D Mode stabilization is active when the control stick is centered, and as the control stick is moved from
center, the Overall Stabilization Gain reduces proportionally as illustrated in Figure 11. (2D Mode Only)
Radio Stick Menu Options: 1: Off; 2: On
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:20 PM
NE Pa
Joined Aug 2005
82 Posts
Another Feature Request

I would like to have the option in the software to disable
the stick programming at startup.

An earlier post sounds similar to what I experienced by
accidentally entering stick program mode without knowing
it.

Thanks
stall warning is offline Find More Posts by stall warning
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:33 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedorme View Post
I guess I thought that use of the SPC port was only needed for the really larger or more complex electrics, which I don't fly. Also must admit that I thought it might be more complicated than just using an on board RX battery which I do if I have 3 or more standard size servos. How do you set up the SPC?

Jed
Jed, I'm very familiar with T-28 on an Aurora 9 Hitec system. You MUST use the SPC port, or some other method of getting more power. The stock BEC that comes with the T-28 is very low power: less than 1 Amp, as I recall. Furthermore, it's a linear BEC. (Mine was an older model - perhaps it has improved, but I would not trust it.) On one of my first flights, I browned out the RX and spiraled into Mission Bay. (Plane was unhurt, it even floated with all electronics out of the salt water! )
The SPC port is reasonably straightforward. Originally, there is one pair of wires between the BEC and the battery plug. Put the SPC plug in parallel with those leads, so that they are plugged into the battery and give you the 11volts. There are several ways to make that connection, but most require soldering. Look on the A9 thread for more information.
The best reason to do this, instead of an RX battery, is from now on you will get a direct telemetry reading of your main battery voltage. No more guessing when to end a flight.

Technical note: there are two sources of increased power draw now. One is telemetry: any 2-way RX is going to require more power. Second, with the Guardian in use, servos work a lot harder supposedly. I put an external BEC on all my planes that cost more than $100 now; and I use the SPC port on everything.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor