HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:31 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
Need more input.

With aircraft seting level and initiliazed for Straight and level flight what happens when you switch from 2D to Off and then 3D?

Remember 3D Mode only tries to maintain aircraft in last position it was in before stciks were centered.
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:57 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,607 Posts
I finally had some time so I installed my newly minted Guardian in Superfly. I am using a DX6i and I am using the flaps switch (up or down) so I don't have the off option. So, my next flight will be with Guardian in 2D mode for starters.

Question regarding gain setting. I set mine to 100%. What is the typical setting for the gain pots? When I used gyros I would keep the gain at 30%. Advice from Guardian users is most appreciated.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jul 20, 2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Jul 2012
7 Posts
e
Everydayflyer: does that mean that for me ( very poore flyer). I should level the
plane in 3D and 2D, making sure Rud,All & Elv are the same before Reset Level,
Pitch & Role?
Stagger Wing is offline Find More Posts by Stagger Wing
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:55 PM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I finally had some time so I installed my newly minted Guardian in Superfly. I am using a DX6i and I am using the flaps switch (up or down) so I don't have the off option. So, my next flight will be with Guardian in 2D mode for starters.

Question regarding gain setting. I set mine to 100%. What is the typical setting for the gain pots? When I used gyros I would keep the gain at 30%. Advice from Guardian users is most appreciated.
I had mine installed in a 34-inch foam FW-190 and my pots were set to 60% ... then I had to lower my main gain to around 20% otherwise the plane will oscillate and fly like a fish (tail wagging).
ricoalonso is offline Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:08 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,164 Posts
Quote:

Just a suggestion, after you establish level, you might want to re-adjust your travel on the flap switch to give you 2D-off or 3D-off. Once your gains are established you can go back to 2D-3D. Or if the gear switch is available it can be used for gain off-on so you can leave the flap switch at 2D-3D and still have an off, or gear can be set to function as gain low-high.

As far as where to start with gain, it's hard to say what you will need as each plane is different. The safest thing is to start low and "sneak up on it", especially if you don't have an off switch or in flight gain control.

Remember, if the gain lead from the Guardian is not connected to the receiver it defaults to 40% master gain which limits the pot gain to 0-40. This could be good or bad depending on the plane but it should be considered.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:09 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoalonso View Post
I had mine installed in a 34-inch foam FW-190 and my pots were set to 60% ... then I had to lower my main gain to around 20% otherwise the plane will oscillate and fly like a fish (tail wagging).
Hmmm, 50% might be a good starting point on my plane for gain. Since this plane is elevon only I shut off yaw. Is that correct for elevon only planes?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jul 20, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:37 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
2,164 Posts
Quote:
Since this plane is elevon only I shut off yaw. Is that correct for elevon only planes?
If you have nothing connected to the rudder channel, you can shut the gain off or not, doesn't make much difference.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:45 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
If you have nothing connected to the rudder channel, you can shut the gain off or not, doesn't make much difference.
I assumed so but never sure whether YAW control is rudder only or some sort of mix.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:38 AM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
2,164 Posts
Oscillation

For those of you who are setting up and tuning a Guardian installation for the first time, you have probably read several references to "oscillation". This is a phenomenon that can occur if the gains are set too high and the stabilization system is overcompensating.

If you have never used stabilization before, you might be puzzled about what this looks like. In the video below by RC POWERS the pilot turned the gains to max (using gyros, not Guardian) as an experiment, knowing pretty well what would happen. Starting at about 3:30 this video illustrates extreme oscillation and the relationship with airspeed, what you will most likely encounter will be more subtle but this will show you what you are trying to detect and avoid:

Oscillation Demo

Guardian has a feature to suppress oscillation so you may see this start to happen on your plane and then fade out. This is a fail safe not a cure, you still need to tune your gains to avoid the onset of oscillation.
Last edited by choochoo22; Jul 21, 2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:37 AM
Memb DEAF R/C
Dallas, TX
Joined Nov 2005
1,095 Posts
Have to say that the folks at RC Ready don't mess around, got 2 from them today. Hopefully with all of the help posted here, I can get at least 1 installed this weekend. Both will be going in a flat foamies to test them out.

Ron
RonR214 is offline Find More Posts by RonR214
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:37 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Wing View Post
e
Everydayflyer: does that mean that for me ( very poore flyer). I should level the
plane in 3D and 2D, making sure Rud,All & Elv are the same before Reset Level,
Pitch & Role?
Page 9 Item
Reset Level Flight and Trims

This is performed with aircraft level front to back and side to side with controls surfaces such that aircraft should fly straight and level.

Sequence is connect power and withing 15seconds of initilization cycle Mode Switch from 2D to 3D and back or from 3D to 2D and back. Control surfaces should move throught one cycle to indiacte this operation was sucessful.

gain settings : 12 oclock is no gain Range of adjustment is from 7 oclock to 5 oclock. If remote gain is not connected default gain is approx. 40% and I would suggested using a starting adjustment of either 10 oclock or 2 oclock depending on the servo direction required.
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jul 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:48 PM
Joined Oct 2011
528 Posts
Need Help
By mistake I run the AHI wizard with my Guardian Stabilizator installed. Besides when I try to use the RTH Simulator it show a message "Tilt Palne is full backwards"
Couls some one help me to solve this issue?
gtlavin56 is offline Find More Posts by gtlavin56
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:59 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Maiden flight of my T28 was a total success
Tested mainly 2D mode - works perfect

Frigging canopy kept popping off, so called it a day, increased pot gain to
Pitch 40 Previous setting 35
Roll 35. Previous setting 30
Yaw 30. Previous setting 20

Landing was a breeze, was not perfect because this is my first plane with landing gears, but in 2D mode. ET kept the wings level. Allowing the plane to bleed off some speed, and I focused on making minor adjustments like adding throttle and rudder

She only needed 1 click up for down elevator, and 3 clicks to the right
followed the steps Charles posted above, 2nd flight was easier

Next will do some testing in 3D mode

Thanks to Charles, Aero, and all the other Beta testers

FCA

Now where are those darn magnets
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined May 2010
1,017 Posts
Wish's.....

In my case anyway, I think it would be nice if you could only change configuration with a bind plug or something. Got all the way to the field only to find out it was acting funky (elevon mix somehow got enabled due to switch juggling) and had no earthly idea how to get it back. Thankfully did a control check before take off.
Deadstick 8409 is offline Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:14 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
Instructions for new RC devices installed in my aircraft get placed in my Transmitter case(s) so that if such a condition comes up at the field I am prepared. You only needed to flip the Initialiazation switch (mode switch) throught 3 cycles to turn it off. Remember to be careful during the first 15 seconds of applying power as the Guardian can be reset / chaged during this period.

Charles