SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:09 AM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,475 Posts
... which reminds me to request the following:

billpa and John. T -

Would it be possible for you to edit your very first post in this thread to include in there the video of John T (in post #861), before it gets lost in this thread. I think it will be helpful for those newcomers.

Thanks,
Rico.
ricoalonso is offline Find More Posts by ricoalonso
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:33 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_RattleSnake View Post
Of the DX7 owners you know (electric flyers), what percentage would you say actually use a throttle lock?
100%

I was first indroduced to Throttle Lock in 1989 or 90 with my first AceMicroPro 8000 and then later HiTech Prism7 and then HiTech Eclisp7. Fact is is was extremly disapointed that it was not a standard feacture on the DX7 but standard or no I have always figured a way to program it by way of a mix and I have strongly encourged others to do likewise. Electrics can bite with no warning.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jul 16, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:46 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Most of the good threads here on RCG have a good first post. This thread got SO BIG before they were even available to buy that it would be difficult for someone who's working out a problem to read it all.
Very true however the Search this Thread tool works great.

alros_100 ( Al) has many great post in the thread and I like to think I have a few myself then there are a some by Bill and the setup Video by John. It takes next to no effort to find all the post by any of these.

What I have seen over the 10 years plus I have been active on user's fporumns is that few take the time to learn how to use and of the even basic Search Tools and no I have just added another clutter post..

Charles
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:32 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-turley View Post
I don't consider myself to be overly tech savvy, but it took just a few minutes on the PC to set up my Guardian. Granted I am only flying it in an Easystar, but after the initial tests to ensure proper servo direction, I launched the plane with the switch on, in 2D mode. No problems, no complaints. If I can do it, anyone can.

Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron View Post
I'm with t-turley
The Guardian is a complex device and is different from anything that most fliers have used before. I consider myself moderately tech-savy and have been following this thread since April. I didn't have any problems setting it up either but I did encounter a couple of things that don't work quite as expected. I expect that most of the seasoned experts here encountered at least one surprise or moment of enlightenment back in the beginning. It's easy to see how a person new to this could have confusion or misunderstandings that result in frustration and questions. Some kind of "FAQ" list in the first post is probably a good idea but not an easy task.

"Search this thread" is a great help but it has two drawbacks;
  • You have to know what to search for. If you didn't know there was a setup video how would you know to search for it? John_T didn't jump in to this thread until recently, a newcomer wouldn't know to look for his posts.
  • People don't always use the terms you expect. When searching you can miss relevant posts because the poster used "ail" instead of aileron, "cog" instead of CG, "Gaurdian" instead of Guardian, etc.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Last edited by choochoo22; Jul 16, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:19 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yurstruly View Post
and now I need help... Recv'd mine saturday and installed everything on my Techone Yak54. I installed the Guardian upside down under the wing next to the fuselage cog. With my preflight check, all controls are working fine as intended on 2D, OFF, 3D as per manual and video and I'm ready to fly it for a test.

But before flying I decided to connect the Guardian on ET GUI software ver. 10.43 just to double check everything. I am playing with the three way switch for 2D, OFF, 3D. I am looking at OSD visualization and When its OFF its off of course, switch to 2D and the horizon is normal (sky is blue and up and brown is ground and bottom) BUT when switch to 3D everything is upside down on OSD. what gives? I wondering if this is a bug on the software?

Btw, all proper controls and orientation on the plane with Guardian still function as intended both for 2D, OFF, 3D.. now I'm holding off for a test flight.. any suggestion Mr. Bill Pa and others? thanks
Hi yurstruly,

Mine is installed the same way in a Popwing SU-31. It will hover all day in 3D mode or until I have to bring it back since the wind slowly carries it away.

On the PC when the Guardian is in 2D mode the AHI shows where the aircraft (actually the Guardian) is in reference to the position when you last did a reset level pitch/roll. Since the Guardian knew it was upside down when you did the reset it knows where you want level to be when in 2D mode and indicates that on the AHI as level.

When in 3D mode the AHI shows the attitude of the Guardian when the transmitter stick input was last returned to center. The Guardian then tries to keep the plane in that attitude. Since the Guardian is mounted upside down the Guardian knows it's upside down and shows the AHI upside down. the Guardian will still do the proper servo outputs to keep the plane in that attitude. The 3D mode doesn't care where level is. It's only concern in 3D mode is remembering where the last reference was and keeping the plane in that attitude.

I hope this helps a little.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Last edited by Floater73; Jul 16, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:54 PM
Joined Nov 2009
185 Posts
Observation - Question - Suggestion…

I am experimenting with one of these in my AMR Ultimate Biplane. If I understand the setup process correctly you need to establish the 2D straight and level setting while the aircraft is on the ground. I used a bubble level to orient my horizontal stabilizer and wing flat in both directions and set 2D to that. In the air 2D is pretty close; it drops off just a little bit with a smidgen of bank to the left. However, it does not seem that there is any way to refine an existing the 2D setting. You have to do a complete 2D reset which may or may not turn out to be better than what you had..

I assume that the unit “knows” what true level is and stores an offset to translate that known level to aircraft level - or something similar. I was thinking that adding the ability to tweak the offset values via the PC interface would be helpful in getting a perfect straight and level 2D.

Feel free to set me straight if I am out in left field on this suggestion or have missed something obvious.
Sky Writer is offline Find More Posts by Sky Writer
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:06 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,820 Posts
Quote:
it does not seem that there is any way to refine an existing the 2D setting
Pge #9

Reset Trims Only

Fly the aircraft and use the Tranmitter Trims to trim for staroght level flight. Land ,disconnec battery ,reconnect the battery and cycle the Mode Sw. twice within the first 15 seconds instead of once. Servos should cycle twice to indicate trims reset.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:18 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,127 Posts
Resetting Trims on Guardian

I probably am missing something, but I thought that if you trimmed the plane, while in 2D mode, land, do the 15sec XMTR reprogramming, the Guardian, in 2D, has a new trim setting. However, if you disable the Guardian, don't the XMTR trims cause the craft, now unstabilized, to have different trim settings that may be inappropriate from when it was trimmed properly before incorporating the Guardian unit; i.e., you can guess on the Guardian, retrim, reset trims on the Guardian, but the unstabilized plane then is out of trim?

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Pge #9

Reset Trims Only

Fly the aircraft and use the Tranmitter Trims to trim for straight level flight. Land ,disconnec battery ,reconnect the battery and cycle the Mode Sw. twice within the first 15 seconds instead of once. Servos should cycle twice to indicate trims reset.
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Nov 2009
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Pge #9

Reset Trims Only

Fly the aircraft and use the Tranmitter Trims to trim for staroght level flight. Land ,disconnec battery ,reconnect the battery and cycle the Mode Sw. twice within the first 15 seconds instead of once. Servos should cycle twice to indicate trims reset.
Thanks for the info. I guess that I am misinterpreting the purpose of that “two toggle” gesture or how to use it.

It sound like what you are saying is…
1) Set 2D straight and level on the ground as close as you can get it.
2) Fly the plane and use trims to get 2D straight and level to actual straight and level.
3) Land, restart the system and do the two toggle gesture.
4) What then? Reset your trims back to your normal no Guardian settings???

Edit: What is confusing me is that (PG6-7) says that if your airplane is not flying straight and level to disable stabilization, trim to level flight, land and follow the “reset trims” instructions. The problem is that, if your normal trims are already set for straight and level flight but your initial 2D straight and level is off then, when you “disable stabilization”, you are back to your normal trims and there is nothing to change.
Sky Writer is offline Find More Posts by Sky Writer
Last edited by Sky Writer; Jul 16, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:16 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,580 Posts
Mine just arrived today and I am reading the 14 page manual.

I am trying to figure out defaults and options. Fun read.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:49 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,820 Posts
Seeing is believing but I do not do videos. Turn on Transmitter ,place Guardian in 2D ,apply power, note position of the elevator, now trim elevator up using Transmitter trim. Disconnect power, reconnector power and in the first 15 sec. flip mode switch from 2D to 3D and back twice and note elevator moves twice. You should now see the elevator trimmed up. OK now flip Guardian to off and note what happens. Must be some kind of electronic / computer magic.

Not really magic but a very smart little device. The Toggle once routine tell guardia this is stragigh and level and that Guardian has perhaps been moved to a new location / aircraft.

The double toggel tells Guardian the trims have been changed and to memorize them and use these instead of the original Straight and level ones..

If you want to do it my prefered way you can land note surface trimmed positions, set Trans. trins back to netural and adjust linkages until the previously noted trimmed positions are obtained but most these day prefer to use electronic trims rather than mechanical ones.

I agree that the Manual is a bit unclear and in fact seems to controdict itself in some places. It is also not clear that Initial and Reset Trims must be full -100 to + 100% (2D to 3D or 3D to 2D.

During the time frame that the Manual was to be reviewed by us beta testers I was very busy in several other testing programs as the beta phase of the Guardian ran much longer that I was first lead to believe it would this resulted in me not reviewing the latest revesions of the Manual.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jul 16, 2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:10 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Demo showing how remote gain affects gyro response to movement in airplane.
Eagle Tree Guardian Gain Modes Demo (2 min 1 sec)
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:12 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,584 Posts
Bought two a few days ago which arrived today. No flights, but the servos react as expected (had to reverse the elevator via gain knobs) and the TX seems to trigger the correct mode - 3D, disable, 2D.

OTOH I already snapped one of the USB connectors (the USB cable end is like a lever). Gah!

Next iteration, my recommendation to Eagle Tree Systems is to have the connector on top of the device and epoxy/rubber-glue the surrounding area of connector. USB on the side in such tight spaces is asking for trouble.

Also ordered other competiting gyros - Eagle A3 Pro, JCX-M6, and HK's KK2.0... will be using them on my PZ T28 for testing over the next few weeks. Not willing to splurge on a FY30 just yet.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:19 AM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
773 Posts
Quote "in the interest of peace post deleted"
peace is for hippies.
i remember when this ole dog would bite if you rattled his cage.
i couldn't tell a battery graph from a pie chart but, batteries was my favorite forum. just don't wear your good clothes (cause of the blood from all of the vicious bite marks)
come on charles. don't make me go over to the sailboat forum.
"that's a little testy..." ssssskkketem charles.

michael clyde

REMEMBER
"if you don't play well with others,
you could end up playing with yourself"
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:35 AM
Joined Jul 2007
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
I already snapped one of the USB connectors (the USB cable end is like a lever). Gah!

Next iteration, my recommendation to Eagle Tree Systems is to have the connector on top of the device and epoxy/rubber-glue the surrounding area of connector. USB on the side in such tight spaces is asking for trouble.
Its interesting that Im not the only one to have had this happen.
The_RattleSnake is offline Find More Posts by The_RattleSnake