HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:20 AM
Joined Jul 2007
760 Posts
Im having alot of trouble setting mine up.
The controll surfaces are all responding correctly.
Using the 3 position switch (dx7) does change flight modes but it also
causes the elevons to deflect a small amount.

How do I get the 3 pos switch working without it making the elevons deflect?

Also, there seems to be very little gyro/servo movement when I move the plane.

I have tried the default gyro settings and also turned them up full but it stays the same.

Level flight calibration also doesnt seem to work. I have tried the switch up, down and up again and nothing happens.

The plane in question can be seen here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1678746

At the moment this thing is useless to me.
The_RattleSnake is offline Find More Posts by The_RattleSnake
Last edited by The_RattleSnake; Jul 14, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:57 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,029 Posts
The switch up/down calibration for level is only accessible in the first few seconds after power up. If your not getting any reaction maybe you have the servo wire reversed perhaps either in the Guardian or on the Rx connection? Does the LED change when you change flight modes?
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:58 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Does the LED change when u change the switch for the mode channel?
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:07 AM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_RattleSnake View Post
Im having alot of trouble setting mine up.
The controll surfaces are all responding correctly.
Using the 3 position switch (dx7) does change flight modes but it also
causes the elevons to deflect a small amount.

Also, there seems to be very little gyro/servo movement when I move the plane.

I have tried the default gyro settings and also turned them up full but it stays the same.

Level flight calibration also doesnt seem to work. I have tried the switch up, down and up again and nothing happens.

The plane in question can be seen here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1678746

At the moment this thing is useless to me.
First, since you are using the unit in a VTOL model, would you be able to tell more how you are installing the unit in relation to the model. Also a copy of your config.txt maybe helpful.

On the other hand maybe all these issues you are having is caused by the fact that you were not able to Reset Level Flight and Trims from the Guardian.

When I do this procedure myself, I make sure that the model is as level as in normal flight (Guardian is level horizontally, lying flat on either its bottom side or upper side); position the mode switch to DOWN; power ON Tx then power ON model; once the ESC has initialized I toggle the mode switch UP then DOWN (remember it was initially DOWN at power ON)- this has to be done within the first 15 seconds from power ON; then wait for the servos to twitch then back to normal.

Edit: BTW, you can also use the UI to reset level flight and trims if you have difficulty using the mode switch. Also, note that the Reset Level Flight will fail if this is done while Guardian is far off level flight by more than 25-degrees in either pitch or roll.

Rico.
ricoalonso is online now Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Last edited by ricoalonso; Jul 14, 2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Jul 2007
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
The switch up/down calibration for level is only accessible in the first few seconds after power up. If your not getting any reaction maybe you have the servo wire reversed perhaps either in the Guardian or on the Rx connection? Does the LED change when you change flight modes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Does the LED change when u change the switch for the mode channel?
Yes the LED does change and indicate the correct flashing for each mode,
flashing for 2d off for disabled and on for 3d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoalonso View Post
First, since you are using the unit in a VTOL model, would you be able to tell more how you are installing the unit in relation to the model. Also a copy of your config.txt maybe helpful.

On the other hand maybe all these issues you are having is caused by the fact that you were not able to Reset Level Flight and Trims from the Guardian.

When I do this procedure myself, I make sure that the model is as level as in normal flight (Guardian is level horizontally, lying flat on either its bottom side or upper side); position the mode switch to DOWN; power ON Tx then power ON model; once the ESC has initialized I toggle the mode switch UP then DOWN (remember it was initially DOWN at power ON)- this has to be done within the first 15 seconds from power ON; then wait for the servos to twitch then back to normal.

Edit: BTW, you can also use the UI to reset level flight and trims if you have difficulty using the mode switch. Also, note that the Reset Level Flight will fail if this is done while Guardian is far off level flight by more than 25-degrees in either pitch or roll.

Rico.

Its installed in the equivilent place/ orientation as in the video that EagleTree
posted on how to install.
Level calibration was attempted with the plane at a level attitude.

I have tried a Spektrum AR6100e and Spektrum AR7000 , same issue both receivers.
Also reset the model memory in the controller.

I turned the gain right up and down, still cant get it to correct the plane anywhere near the ammount as shown in the How to install vid.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:27 AM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_RattleSnake View Post
Yes the LED does change and indicate the correct flashing for each mode,
flashing for 2d off for disabled and on for 3d.

Its installed in the equivilent place/ orientation as in the video that EagleTree
posted on how to install.
Level calibration was attempted with the plane at a level attitude.

I have tried a Spektrum AR6100e and Spektrum AR7000 , same issue both receivers.
Also reset the model memory in the controller.

I turned the gain right up and down, still cant get it to correct the plane anywhere near the ammount as shown in the How to install vid.
Okay, so hopefully it is just a matter of properly performing the Reset Level Flight and Trims procedure.

In your previous post you stated: "I have tried the switch up, down and up again" . Do you mean that at power ON, the mode switch was originally UP then you move it DOWN then UP? Or did you have to move it UP, DOWN then UP again? This may make a difference. It should already be UP at power ON then during the first 15 seconds, you move it DOWN then back to UP.

I think you need to concentrate in making this calibration first work before proceeding to the other issue as this may be the cause of everything.
ricoalonso is online now Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:43 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,723 Posts
Quote:
Do you have the Gain input to the Guardian connected , if so disconnet it and Guardian will default to 40% gain which is plenty for most aircraft or atleast for the ones Ihave flown it in. I consider Remote gain controll and advanced user's feacture to be used for fine tuning after you are fimiliar with the unit.

Set level

Switch on 2D power up
Switch to 3D then back to 2D

One switch cycle

Servos should cycle one time.

To rest trims after a flight where you moved Transmitter trims you do two switch cycles and the servos move twice. It is not necessary to have aircraft level to perform reset trims only.

Amount of control surface movement in video or any othe aircraft is not a good indicator. What you need to look at is the amount the servo arms move. With gaings (pots) set at max you should get 100% servo movement as in 45degrees of rotation from centered in each direction C.W. and C.C.W..

Simpliest means to check 3D servo movements for me is to have Guardian Off position, Point nose vertical ,swith to 3D now drop the nose and observe elevator servo movement , repeat with rudder tilting to left or right and then repeat with alierons .

Quote:
Check your FLAP SYS. settings and make sure that at the bottom that
AUTO is set to INH

Also insure that Wing TYPE(s) are all set to OFF

INPUT Select
AUX2 TRIM : INH
FLAP SYSTEM
FLAP :INH

I also have Mix 4 set

FLAP > FLAP :On
RATE : -100 %
+ 100%
SWITCH : FLAP 0
OFFSET : 0

Note I am not 100% sure all of these setting are required but I spent several days and many hours getting the Flap Mix (3 Pos.) switch to control the Guardian with no control interaction and these worked so I left it at that.

Also when using two (duel) Aile. servos you most turn off Elevons in Trans. and turn it on in Guardian Page 11 item (menu) 9: Onbaotrd Duel Aileron Mixing Enabled.

It is either this on use a Y Harness with Elevons still turned off in Transmitter but Onbaord Duel Aliv. not enabled in the Guardian.

Hang in there it will be great and well worth the effort when it all clicks.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jul 14, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Jul 2007
760 Posts
I may have found out something.

I was unplugging everything in an attempt to see if somethign was hooked up wrong.

Im sure it wasnt because all my controll inputs were correct.

When unplugging the usb the plug detached from the board.
How on earth they expect the amount of solder they had on there to hold a plug on is beyond me.

Now when pluged into the plane it goes all crazy.

They really need to sort out some quality controll.

As of now I will not be recomending this product to anyone.
$90 for a useless piece of junk.

not happy at all.
Last edited by The_RattleSnake; Jul 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Rattlesnake, really sorry to hear about your issue. That's a first. The USB connection is tested twice, by two different people, as part of the QC process, and there should be plenty of solder under the connector to withstand considerable force. Of course, we will replace the unit (or offer you a refund if you want one, if you purchased from us). Just open a ticket with us at http://ticket.eagletreesystems.com and we'll get this taken care of. I'm also anxious to have a look at your Guardian under a scope to see what happened with the soldering.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:13 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,723 Posts
Back when I purchase a Micro USB cable for mine months ago as i have no smart phone or other device which uses this connector I found that the cable would lock into the Guardian's socket and was extremely difficult to remove. I had to very carefully hold the socket with a pair of pliers and work the USB end up and down and side to side until it got the raised prongs(locks) clear. When I got it out I filed the locking prongs off of the cable. I mentioned this event to John and he stated that they would look into it but they had experienced no such problems. I do not know how many different style cable ends come in that size only that mine was a problem and without extreme care I also could have danaged my Guiardian.

FYI They make these Micro B USB cables in many different lengths. If I waas going to be moving the guardian to many differnt planes or doing a lot of Computer interfacing I would install a 6" or so cabvle and leave it connected and use a USB to USE extension to reach from it top the computer , fact is I have to use such a cable to reach from desk computer to fllor awhere aircraft is anyway.
Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jul 14, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:54 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
http://www.cablestogo.com/resources/usb.asp

http://www.pocketables.com/2011/04/m...o-view-4g.html

There are different micro usb plugs. From experience Nextel uses one that is smaller than the more generic Micro B.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Jul 14, 2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:50 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Back when I purchase a Micro USB cable for mine months ago as i have no smart phone or other device which uses this connector I found that the cable would lock into the Guardian's socket and was extremely difficult to remove. I had to very carefully hold the socket with a pair of pliers and work the USB end up and down and side to side until it got the raised prongs(locks) clear. When I got it out I filed the locking prongs off of the cable. I mentioned this event to John and he stated that they would look into it but they had experienced no such problems. I do not know how many different style cable ends come in that size only that mine was a problem and without extreme care I also could have danaged my Guiardian.

FYI They make these Micro B USB cables in many different lengths. If I waas going to be moving the guardian to many differnt planes or doing a lot of Computer interfacing I would install a 6" or so cabvle and leave it connected and use a USB to USE extension to reach from it top the computer , fact is I have to use such a cable to reach from desk computer to fllor awhere aircraft is anyway.
Charles

My cable was pretty tight. I pried up the the little springs on the plug and bent them back and forth until they broke off. It's not so tight now.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:15 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
648 Posts
Guardian as Gimbal on multirotor

Hi Folks

I have been testing out the guardian as a FC board for a quadcopter as well as for a Gimbal

This is a ground test of the guardian running a gimbal on my mikrokopter

Guardian Gimbal (0 min 25 sec)

Here is a re-post of my video of the guardian running a quad in 3d mode with some rolls and fast forward flight . No gimbal just guardian on a DJI flamewheel 450 frame

Guardian FPV (3 min 1 sec)

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:36 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,809 Posts
I got lucky and the USB/power cable for my current Cell phone (ZTE Merit) fits perefect nice and easy to unplug.

the only thing i wish this thing had was another knob on it to turn up the gain, I have heard it defaults to 40% if you do not have it hooked up well. weather stinks here GA has finally gotten rain but flew it couple flights yesterday and My rudder is not moving enough, i have it turned all the way up on the adjustment and I pull into a hover and the planes wants to fall over and then it goes into a Perfect knife edge this is in my 42" AJ slick. its not the planes throw I have plenty i can hover it all day long perfect.

No one has found a way to do gain on the old DX7 yet....
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Jul 2012
21 Posts
Hello Forum,

Pls help me with Guardian issue.

I am from Vietnam where FPV is very new hobby. I have got an eagle tree system together with the Guardian. At first everything work without any problem but later after some testings, the elevator doesn't work when guardian is enable. Gradually the aileron is also died. I have tried to rerun servos analys wizad many times but nothing is better. When Guardian is disable, everything is back to work normally.

Pls kindly share me your solutions.

Thanks.
Nhut
NhutSgn is offline Find More Posts by NhutSgn