HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:30 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
1,633 Posts
FYI
I ordered a second Guardian yesterday from http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...1iume1bd4jdq77 and received shipping info today. Yesterday the site was showing 50+ on hand so they are available for delivery right now if you want one.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:11 PM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
FYI
I ordered a second Guardian yesterday from http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...1iume1bd4jdq77 and received shipping info today. Yesterday the site was showing 50+ on hand so they are available for delivery right now if you want one.
I just ordered one this morning from readymaderc. They have 43 left. Mine has already shipped. readymaderc's service is fantastic. I've purchased a lot of FPV gear from them.

Doug
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:37 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Same here got a shipping notice yesterday for the 1 I pre ordered from ready made RC

Ordered 2 more this morning and they have already been shipped

Next weekend is gonna be fun.

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Jul 13, 2012, 03:37 PM
Guardian Stabilizer
Joined Feb 2012
52 Posts
choochoo22: Thanks for the suggestions on a generic tuning routine.

jayb1rdz: Were you able to get the Guardian to connect to your PC? If not, open a ticket at http://ticket.eagletreesystems.com/ . Tech support should be able to help you troubleshoot the issue.

ricoalonso: At this time, swapping the mode switch positions as an option is not a feature. This could change with further interest though!

tourist_603: Yes, the Guardian should work fine on a Rudder/Elevator only plane. Just connect the Aileron output to your rudder servo. Sorry, it looks like this information isn't in the manual at the moment. We're working on a new revision, so that'll be fixed soon. (Edit: I was wrong. Please check under the "Traditional Models with Single Aileron Servo" section of the "Wing Type Configuration" part of the manual.)

choochoo22: To answer your question about gimbal stabilization, we're looking into a flight control mode specific to this type of setup. That said, standard Fixed Wing configuration in 2D Mode with 2D Heading Hold disabled will work for many applications.
For your setup, you should be able to leave your Aileron input centered and run the aileron output to your camera mount's roll axis. The Guardian should be mounted on your airframe, not your camera tray. Keep in mind that changing your overall gain will affect the servo movement ranges. Another feature you can play with is the "Derivative Gain" option in 3D Mode. Depending on how fast your servos are, you may get improved performance by tuning this value to help compensate for lag. If you have perfectly ideal servos, you would set the Derivative Gain to "0".
As a couple people have suggested, using one Guardian for this application requires a trade-off. At this time, if you still want to have full stabilization on all axes for your plane as well as gimbal stabilization, you will need two Guardians.
Note also, as mentioned by others, the Guardian will interpret any disconnected control input as if the stick for that channel is centered to its neutral trim position as recorded whenever the trims are reset in the Guardian. So, once you've set your trims, all you need to provide a gimbal stabilizing Guardian is power from your Rx.

everydayflyer: Thanks again for the feedback on the LED. In hoping to clarify: are you suggesting that we need an external LED module of some sort?
Install Video - CoG: Good eye. Ok, from what epoweredrc and others have been saying, I'd like to clarify a little on this topic to prevent undue worry and integration efforts. When it was said that the Guardian should be placed as close to the CG as possible, this was true. That point made, this demonstration video shows the Guardian as being about 5" back from the CoG. In this model, this configuration worked perfectly. You probably will experience no issues as long as the Guardian is within the fuselage, but the only spot where performance is guaranteed is on the CoG.
Install Video - ESC connected: Ouch. You got me!
John.T is online now Find More Posts by John.T
Last edited by John.T; Jul 13, 2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: correction
Old Jul 13, 2012, 03:56 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
I have the Guardian mounted in a Nitro Planes 1100mm F6F Hellcat. With the Guardian installed I like this Hellcat so much I'm thinking of asking it to move in with me. In 2D mode the autolevelling feature works great, really simplifies the landings. In 3D mode it smoothes out the pitchiness of this plane. However, with the stabiilzation set to 2D the plane won't loop. It will pitch up to 90 degrees and then pull out to level. In 3D mode, it completes 3/4 of a loop and then turns 90 degrees. This has nearly put me in a tree several times. Can someone explain how to fix this?

Refrk.
Refrik is offline Find More Posts by Refrik
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:59 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,363 Posts
John I mentioned (complained about ) the hard to see and impossible to see in many aircraft installations LED months ago when I first started beta testing. I suggested placing LED on a set of leads or a conector on the board and a plug in extension but was lead to believe that the board configuration was set in stone and was not going to be changed.

It is simple enough on a smaller plane to try the differt Switch )modes) and see how the aircraft reponds to movement but the LED status is simplier and when installed in a rather large plane such as a 20 pound war bird not so simple to pick up plane and move it around.

Yes Iknow that changes to PCB can get expensive but I felt that two male pins in place of a SM LED was not that big of a deal.

Yep a live motor with a prop on it is bad news everywhere except right before take off IMO.

Next install video perhaps shot video from rear of aircraft so control surfaces are more visible and move in the same directions as in flight. I have never checked control surface movements for correct direct from the front. No big deal and I know scripting and shooting editing such a video is a PITA. Al the years I have been flying and beta testing I have posted on video. It took numerious request to get me to post stills of my Lil Banchee 3D Gaurdian 2D / 3D install and it just showed what I had posted that there was really nothing to see..

I bet many would love to see a video of how the Remote Gain effects the total gain (control surfaces deflections). I have read many post and I still not 100% clear on it. I need to hook a Gaurdian up to one of my 8 Ch. receivers ,some servos and use one of my Ace MicroPro 8000 Transmitters so that I can lay around with the Remote Gain and the 3 Modes and not pull my hair out trying to do to much with a 7Ch Ttransmitter with limited abilities.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:12 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,363 Posts
Quote:
[However, with the stabiilzation set to 2D the plane won't loop. It will pitch up to 90 degrees and then pull out to level. In 3D mode, it completes 3/4 of a loop and then turns 90 degrees
2D mode this is par for the course unless gain is set fairly low. With medium to high gain it make aircraft a super easy to fly trainer but an experienced pilot feels like he has little control over the plane. Numerious times when Ilet the palne get way out down wind I felt it much easier to swith Guardian off or to 3D to turn into the wind and get back closer to the field.

3D 3/4 loop and turns 90 degrees. Turns as in with rudder or rollas with ailerons?

How does the plane loop with Guardian turned off? Some aircraft get a little bent out of shape in a loop depending on the airspeed / wing loading. I have seen may over the years snap out of a loop close to the bottom and buy the farm and some were being flown by very experienced pilots. Most were flying other's plane and showing them what the plane was capable of by an experienced pilot.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:14 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
How does the plane loop with Guardian turned off? Some aircraft get a little bent out of shape in a loop depending on the airspeed / wing loading. I have seen may over the years snap out of a loop close to the bottom and buy the farm and some were being flown by very experienced pilots. Most were flying other's plane and showing them what the plane was capable of by an experienced pilot.
To add just a little to this; It's been my observation that a tail heavy plane will often snap out of the top of a loop.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:25 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
1,633 Posts
John: thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I'm really curious though why you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.T View Post
The Guardian should be mounted on your airframe, not your camera tray. Keep in mind that changing your overall gain will affect the servo movement ranges.
Mounting on the airframe will only achieve the desired camera leveling with a perfect match of pot gain, master gain, travel limits, and probably other factors. It would seem that mounting on the camera tray avoids much of this since the Guardian need only keep itself level. Why is this not better?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:43 PM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refrik View Post
I have the Guardian mounted in a Nitro Planes 1100mm F6F Hellcat. With the Guardian installed I like this Hellcat so much I'm thinking of asking it to move in with me. In 2D mode the autolevelling feature works great, really simplifies the landings. In 3D mode it smoothes out the pitchiness of this plane. However, with the stabiilzation set to 2D the plane won't loop. It will pitch up to 90 degrees and then pull out to level. In 3D mode, it completes 3/4 of a loop and then turns 90 degrees. This has nearly put me in a tree several times. Can someone explain how to fix this?

Refrk.
If sometimes you want to have full control over the plane and yet have the benefit of the self-level feature while in 2D, try playing with the 'Center Stick Stabilize Only Mode' and/or the 'Center Stick Box Size'. Pls check page-9 of the manual for further explanation.

Rico.
ricoalonso is offline Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:49 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
Not my best work but the only video I have right now of the Guardian. It's ready to be put in a bigger plane.

EagleTree Guardian 2D test (3 min 43 sec)
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:08 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,863 Posts
I just bought one from ReadyMadeRC.

Melnic,

Well done video with your explanation. Have you updated your website with installation and setup info?

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jul 13, 2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:01 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Great video Melnic

I've got 3 units inbound from ready made RC and plan on shooting as much video as possible

Moving forward can everyone post not only what plane you are flying, but Also what gain setting you have, it would help the next guy out and reduce set up time

Hopefully if a lot of guys post these settings we can have a main list with all the data. What do you all think?

Have fun

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:45 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
When it's in 3D mode and I try to loop it seems to roll out after 3/4 a loop using the rudder. It loops and flies just fine with all the stabilization turned off. This plane's main problem is that it's really pitchy. The Guardian fixes that very well.
Refrik is offline Find More Posts by Refrik
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:42 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,811 Posts
John T, thanks for the follow up. My problem was with my PC. A windows 7 service pack was installed and I had to run the ET software as "administrator". I had been caipighton this once before so I guessed it may have been an issue.

Has anyone loaded the Guardian for a regular airplane on a JR 11x with mode and gain adjustments?? I would be interested in the file download. J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz