HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:15 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,541 Posts
Mike...

That's good enough for me, Thanks... Many companies copy each other but it doesn't necessarily make them clones just because they look similar...

Others besides myself have seen the refinement and physical changes between the FY20A and the FY30A, and the similar appearance of the Guardian to the FY30A to some folks looks like the next refinement of the original product but as we all know looks can be deceiving...

So if the FY30A can be used both on aircraft and Quadracopter like machines, could the FY30A or the Guardian be used in FP or CP Heli's similar to how my Flymentor is used for stabilizing or balancing...? I feel they could be but correct me if I'm wrong here...

Have a fun weekend...
bnick
bnick2k8 is offline Find More Posts by bnick2k8
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:35 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
Some have said that it could be used, but we won't see the results until it is shipped, and put into use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnick2k8 View Post
Mike...

That's good enough for me, Thanks... Many companies copy each other but it doesn't necessarily make them clones just because they look similar...

Others besides myself have seen the refinement and physical changes between the FY20A and the FY30A, and the similar appearance of the Guardian to the FY30A to some folks looks like the next refinement of the original product but as we all know looks can be deceiving...

So if the FY30A can be used both on aircraft and Quadracopter like machines, could the FY30A or the Guardian be used in FP or CP Heli's similar to how my Flymentor is used for stabilizing or balancing...? I feel they could be but correct me if I'm wrong here...

Have a fun weekend...
bnick
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:35 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,649 Posts
That's what I wondered, but that totally sucks for us OSD Pro - Guardian users...like me. I want to leave the plane moving on its path, with altitude with wings level, but now it drifts left and right...ugh!

I've been trying to HD video specific subjects, like a building etc and the smoothest recordings are when you're hands are off the sticks but as it is now the plane keeps drifting left or right depending on the wind.

It would be great if you could attach the stand alone to the OSD Pro to take advantage of rudder support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tychoc View Post
The standalone Guardian does control the yaw axis.
-tychoc
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:27 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,541 Posts
Adam...

Hi... I'm not in FPV so I should probably not respond here but in using my FY30A, and from what it sounds like the Guardian can do, the wind shouldn't phase the last direction you placed your plane yaw wise...

With my FY30A in approximately 5 to 12 mph winds on this super lightweight Multiplex FunCub, she tracks straight as an arrow per my last stick command...

Even in full side winds and blustery intermittent cross winds she counters every gust from all directions way faster and more effectively than my hands can on the sticks and she holds her heading, pitch, and roll really well especially in doing my HD Vids...

Sorry if I'm totally not understanding what you are questioning but how is your OSD Pro interfering with your staying solid on course and how will the Guardian not help in doing your vid's...?

Happy Flyin'
bnick
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:07 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
647 Posts
Quote:
m-beeson...

Boy the closer you look the more they both do seem to use the same, Gravitational, and 3 Axis Rotational Sensing... It may just be a play on words from the 2 vendors...
Bnick

All these products will have that description. An inertial self stabilization system needs a 3 axis gyro at least to give you attitude hold and 3 axis accelerometer in association with the 3 axis gyros to allow self leveling and in some cases correction of gyro drift. It does not mean they have copied each other's hardware. Have a read thru some of the open source multirotor threads for explanation on what is involved in self leveling etc. Also those forums talk about the newest and cheapest gyro / accelerometers which are available for use.

The Guardian is an evolution of the very successful guardian add on for the OSD pro and it is an ET design product.

I have seen both and they are different products.

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:15 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
647 Posts
Guardian standalone hands on

Hi Folks

I though I would share some experience with you with the standalone guardian.

I have flown the add on guardian extensively in my FPV plane and that is a great product for FPV.

The standalone has added more features and options to allow it to be used by anyone (not just FPV) and also for many types of planes from a fast elevon stryker to a true 3D plane. I also used it in a small FPV plane with no OSD.

It has two modes: 1) the standard self leveling that is seen with the guardian add on. But they also added dual aileron support (yes you can have flaps!) and rudder support with heading hold feature. It also supports coordinated rudder turns.

the second mode is a 3Dmode that is awesome. Basically, I tried this on a multiplex park master - the guardian will hold what everposition you put the plane in (that is aerodynamically possible) and has a very tight 3D heading hold.

I was able to do no hands hover, and no hands knife edge. Also hand launches are made significantly easier.

I will also say that it handels vibrations really well, and handled the cold canadian winter well !

I am happy to anwser any specific questions and I have a few videos I can post as well

Al
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:24 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,541 Posts
Good stuff Al and thanks for your clarification... The FY30A does exactly what you are saying also but at +-$50 more... There will probably be more coming down the road...

Wow though my heart goes out to all those through the central part of the country who have lost everything in this afternoons and evenings tornadoes... Close to 30 dead so far... Bad news for sure... Know it's off topic but Wow how fast any of us could lose it all...

bnick
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:05 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
Hi Folks

I have a few videos I can post as well

Al

Please do...

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:13 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
Thanks for your review Alros.

You have confirmed some of my suspicions of excellent performance from this model.

I can't wait to see the videos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
Hi Folks

I have flown the add on guardian extensively in my FPV plane and that is a great product for FPV.

The standalone has added more features and options to allow it to be used by anyone (not just FPV) and also for many types of planes from a fast elevon stryker to a true 3D plane. I also used it in a small FPV plane with no OSD.

It has two modes: 1) the standard self leveling that is seen with the guardian add on. But they also added dual aileron support (yes you can have flaps!) and rudder support with heading hold feature. It also supports coordinated rudder turns.

the second mode is a 3Dmode that is awesome. Basically, I tried this on a multiplex park master - the guardian will hold what everposition you put the plane in (that is aerodynamically possible) and has a very tight 3D heading hold.

I was able to do no hands hover, and no hands knife edge. Also hand launches are made significantly easier.

I will also say that it handels vibrations really well, and handled the cold canadian winter well !

I am happy to anwser any specific questions and I have a few videos I can post as well

Al
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,926 Posts
Thanks again for all the interest in the Guardian!!

jedorme,
Quote:
I do hope that there is a way to both have a type of heading hold to manage rudder control when needed on takeoffs, & a rate-gyro type dampening control to help stabilize the ailerons & elevator in windy conditions. I look forward to hearing more about this.
Yes, those features are there. We'll get the manual online asap! PS: the paypal situation is still the same. still working on it.

chanyote66, thanks for that kind feedback!

onethermal,
Quote:
I fly primary RES gliders and would like to know how would this unit work for rudder and elevator only.? and from the looks of the picture it looks like I would need to move the power leads from the ailerons over to a different plug like rudder.
I believe this would work well as-is. We'd need to put our heads together here to make sure. It is simple to address the power issue if the aileron channel ends up not being used.

Quote:
So with all this response how soon do you anticipate shipping.
I'm going to stick with "Late spring." You never know when the gremlins will jump out at you with the first production run of a new product. However, everything's going smoothly, and we should be publishing a more precise date soon.

Andre Germain, that is correct. You will get stabilization but not AHI display when using the OSD Pro with the 2D/3D stabilizer and the Flight Data Recorder.

TP715,
Quote:
Will I have to replace the cheap 9g servos in my foam planes with faster and/or more robust versions to handle the constant gyro inputs?
This should not be necessary.

AdamChicago,
Quote:
It would be great if you could attach the stand alone to the OSD Pro to take advantage of rudder support.
That's something we're considering, as well as a couple of other options - thanks for this suggestion.

bnick,
Quote:
Wow though my heart goes out to all those through the central part of the country who have lost everything in this afternoons and evenings tornadoes... Close to 30 dead so far... Bad news for sure... Know it's off topic but Wow how fast any of us could lose it all...
Yes, terrible tragedy. I was glued to the news watching this earlier, in disbelief.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:36 AM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,541 Posts
Thanks Billpa... Good stuff... These are exciting times for all of us in RC...
bnick
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:14 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
I agree,

I didn't think we'd see the day when we had this technology available to us.

Quote:
Thanks Billpa... Good stuff... These are exciting times for all of us in RC...
bnick
Old Mar 03, 2012, 06:14 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Thanks for your review Alros.

You have confirmed some of my suspicions of excellent performance from this model.

I can't wait to see the videos...

Hi Mike

Here is a video compilation of several flights with my F27Q stryker and a multiplex parkmaster. I Have also FPV'd the new guardian on a funjet (no OSD) and flew it on a pint size mini funjet.

Please Note - all these videos were done using various pre-release firmware - which were being optimized by ET engineer

Al

2012 - Guardian compilation.mp4 (3 min 15 sec)
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:33 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,649 Posts
So it seems you can stabilize aileron (roll) and rudder (yaw)...and of course altitude with the new 2D/3D stabilizer...well it looks like another purchase and the Guardian add-on from last summer is going in the garbage
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:30 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
So it seems you can stabilize aileron (roll) and rudder (yaw)...and of course altitude with the new 2D/3D stabilizer...well it looks like another purchase and the Guardian add-on from last summer is going in the garbage
Hi Adam

you can stabilize a standard plane, an elevon plane, and planes with dual ailerons. All of these can have a rudder (like the F27Q elevon + rudder).

In 2D mode it is self leveling and fly by wire + you can coordinate rudder. In 3D mode it stabilises the plane in the attitude it is in when you release the sticks. So you can get it hovering, let go the sticks and it will stay that way assuming the throttle is set to hover. You can get it in knife edge, release the sticks and it will stay - you can also just release the aileron stick and change rudder to do knife edge tricks etc

The guardian stand alone does not have an altitude sensor so it will not altitude hold per se - but if the plane is leveled correctly for level flight, then It will keep it level and at altitude.

I think the hardware for the stand alone and the add on are very similar (not sure if they are identical). The difference is the servo inputs and outputs have been put right on the stand alone, but the add on version needs the OSD. So the limitation related to rudder with the add on is not strictly from the guardian, but from the lower number of input/output on the OSD pro.

I would not through away the guardian add on - or if you do send it to me !

Al