SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:34 PM
United States, NJ, Mountain Lakes
Joined Apr 2010
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
...I never thought of mixing the switch back to itself to negate it. Brilliant!!! With your solution the knob controls master gain full-range and the gear switch does nothing. Perfect!
Petem gets the credit, I don't think I would have thought of that either.
Scott216 is offline Find More Posts by Scott216
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:21 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
Thank you for sharing that solution!!

I had just come up with my own solution to use the knob on my DX8 to control the gain on a 6 ch rx by mixing to the gear channel. I thought it was pretty creative and was going to post it. Problem is, the gear switch was still active and acting as an on-off. The "on" position allowed the knob to control gain full-range as desired. The "off" position set an unnecessary zero gain value but I didn't know how to take the switch out of operation without disabling the channel completely. I never thought of mixing the switch back to itself to negate it. Brilliant!!! With your solution the knob controls master gain full-range and the gear switch does nothing. Perfect!
On a DX8 you can just use the "switch select" menu to map any given channel to a switch, that is how I mapped gain to the knob on the DX8 to Aux1 for the Guardian using a Orange 6 channel Rx. No mixes required.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:34 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-turley View Post
Here is my first flight video, from the onboard Sony Bloggie. Nothing to write home about, but you can see once I got it trimmed out it was reasonably smooth. I did notice some nose bobbing in flight last night, which is evident in the video. I attribute that to the size difference between the FY20A and the Guardian; the FY and its mounting platform are considerably larger and heavier than the Guardian.

Tony

http://vimeo.com/45388146
Tony,

Once trimmed you could tell it was rock steady until you provided control input. Well done, thanks for the video.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:20 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
On a DX8 you can just use the "switch select" menu to map any given channel to a switch, that is how I mapped gain to the knob on the DX8 to Aux1 for the Guardian using a Orange 6 channel Rx. No mixes required.
Thanks, that's the way it should be, any control to any channel. I didn't realize that feature was there. Unfortunately that seems to be a global mapping and I have another model that uses the gear switch so until I can re-think that plane, I'll stick with the mix because it only affects one memory.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:26 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,257 Posts
It isn't global as far as I understand, it is specific to each model, same as setting the wing type, etc.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Last edited by flitelab; Jul 08, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Jul 2009
303 Posts
Minimal Output to Servos

Finally managed to overcome some set up issues with my Hitec Aurora 9 radio & got the 2D/3D stab connected & working properly in my FunCub. The only thing is I can't get the outputs to the servos to be more than very minimal. I get all the correct light responses from the stab unit when I give it the Mode/Config commands & thought maybe my gain control on my radio was somehow diminishing the signal from the stab unit (I set it up like a gyro gain with a 3 position switch where the mid position was 100%, & the others 80% & 120%, with the stab unit pots set at 50%). So I disconnected the gain wire from the RX & got the same response with the pots still set at 50% - just very minimal movements of the control surfaces, albeit in the right direction. Then I turned the pot gain up to 100%, & still got the same result. My computer is a Mac so I can't check out the stab unit but will try to get a friend to let me check on his PC. Any other ideas are both welcome & appreciated.

Jed
jedorme is offline Find More Posts by jedorme
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:44 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
Are you stating that you can not get the Gaurdian 2D/3Dto move the servos from netural (centered) to CW and CCW positions even with the POTS turned to their extremes?

Hint

When I was learning the Guardian I used a spare receiver,battery pack,and servos to test all settings and then after I figure out setting,programing etc,. I mounted it in an aircraft with the contol surfaces disconnected and check servo movements and then connected the control links and tweaked the Pots until the control surface corrections looked about right.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jul 09, 2012 at 04:49 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:00 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
It isn't global as far as I understand, it is specific to each model, same as setting the wing type, etc.
You're right!! That's a really useful feature with stabilizers and gyros. Thanks for that.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:35 AM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2003
579 Posts
connector

Does anyone have a P/N on the connectors for the cable to the RX? My RX is well behind the CG and I would rather make an extension instead of hacking the original cable.
Ken
Ken Lilja is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lilja
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:03 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
They are standard servo connectors otherwise they would not plug into the receiver. You can use standard servo extensions which have three leads instead of the only one which is needed except for the Ail. one which provides power to the Guardian as well as the singnal. You could remove the extra leads to save a bit of weight but unless it is a very small / lightweight one the weight shoulld not be an issue.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jul 09, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:00 PM
Account closed - user passed away
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
I have a question!

I'm installing the Guardian 2D/3D in a Twisted Hobbies 39" Flash, with 2 aileron servos using a Spectrum DX7 ( old style).

I don't want to use a y-harness.

What wing type should be selected on the DX7?

Normal - 1 aileron servo?
Flaperon - 2 aileron servos?

Thanks

Mike
Patron is offline Find More Posts by Patron
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Tony,

Once trimmed you could tell it was rock steady until you provided control input. Well done, thanks for the video.

Bill
Thanks Bill. It will be interesting to see how the Guardian handles this plane in the wind.

Tony
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:25 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-turley View Post
Thanks Bill. It will be interesting to see how the Guardian handles this plane in the wind.

Tony
Tony,

Next windy day go fly with your video camera on board.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jul 09, 2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:17 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron View Post
I have a question!

I'm installing the Guardian 2D/3D in a Twisted Hobbies 39" Flash, with 2 aileron servos using a Spectrum DX7 ( old style).

I don't want to use a y-harness.

What wing type should be selected on the DX7?

Normal - 1 aileron servo?
Flaperon - 2 aileron servos?

Thanks

Mike
Page 11 Option # 9: Onboard Dual Ail.Mixing Enabled

You will have to turn of Flaperons and all other Wing type Mixs in the Transmitter but you will then beable to use the Flt. 3 pos. Sw for the Guardiand Mod selections.

I also use an old model DX7 and that is why I talked ET into adding this mix. As you likely know when Flaperons are enabled in the Tran. the 3 pos. Sw. is not useable for anything else.

You will still have to give up Flaps and Spoilers but one can not have everything especially with a 7 Ch. transmitter. Sometimes I wonder how we ever manayed with just 4 Ch. much less single channel which I flew for years.

You can of course use Flaperon in the Trans. and not Dual Ail. mix in the Guardian to maintain Flaps and Spoilers however then you can not select all 3 Guardian Mod types as you only have Gear Sw. available . I use Gear for Throttle Lock as do many other DX7 owners. The Rudder Dual rate can be used for Mod (2 only) but I like Duel rate on a lot of my tail dragers.

Charles
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:35 PM
Account closed - user passed away
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
Thanks Charles, I'll give that a try.
Patron is offline Find More Posts by Patron