HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 01:28 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,846 Posts
I was just looking at servos, and seeing that some are advertised as Heli gyro servos, it made me wonder about choice of servo for use with the guardian. Does it matter or just use what you would anyway?
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:26 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
I was just looking at servos, and seeing that some are advertised as Heli gyro servos, it made me wonder about choice of servo for use with the guardian. Does it matter or just use what you would anyway?
I have just used anolog hitec servos and they work fine . But there is an option to increase guardian output from standard 50hz up to 400hz when using appropriate digital servos. You will get much faster response - i am just not sure it is worth the cost unless you have a real percision plane to match

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:07 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Now if a FPV pilot wanted to fly at that same event, then he would be required to have a spotter, and have a copilot on a buddy box. Something tells me that they were not held to those standards...
A non-Guardian question coming from somebody who has not been to an actual RC aircraft meet nor ever flown FPV (that is, a newbie on such matters):
As far as I know, in aircraft meets, the aircraft are supposed to stay within a certain region of space (minimum and maximum altitude, staying over a certain area of the ground.).
With FPV that is just a camera, I am not sure how a pilot knows when an aircraft is approaching a border of this region (my guess as to why a spotter and buddy box are needed).
But my guess is with later FPV systems, one can make some useful additions: adding an altimeter to the aircraft should warn about the mimimum and maximum altitude limits, and
perhaps adding a GPS unit will be precise enough to warn about borders formed by an area of ground.

How far off is my guess at this situation?
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:54 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,381 Posts
flying-llama

all of the equipment that you mentioned is being used on my plane and many others. it can be found here.

Eagle Tree puts out some amazing products.

As for the rest of the discussion, it is off topic, and I was just commenting on an observation which relates to current regulatory discussions. I would like to expound on it, but it would be inappropriate to do so on this thread...

If you would like to know more about OSD Pro, there are a couple of threads on that equipment. The Guardian expander which connects to the OSD Pro is probably the best stabilizer on the market, with the exception of the Guardian 2D/3D.

Cheers
-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
A non-Guardian question coming from somebody who has not been to an actual RC aircraft meet nor ever flown FPV (that is, a newbie on such matters):
As far as I know, in aircraft meets, the aircraft are supposed to stay within a certain region of space (minimum and maximum altitude, staying over a certain area of the ground.).
With FPV that is just a camera, I am not sure how a pilot knows when an aircraft is approaching a border of this region (my guess as to why a spotter and buddy box are needed).
But my guess is with later FPV systems, one can make some useful additions: adding an altimeter to the aircraft should warn about the mimimum and maximum altitude limits, and
perhaps adding a GPS unit will be precise enough to warn about borders formed by an area of ground.

How far off is my guess at this situation?
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:56 AM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
810 Posts
Quote:
flying-llama
all of the equipment that you mentioned is being used on my plane and many others. it can be found here.
As for the rest of the discussion, it is off topic, and I was just commenting on an observation which relates to current regulatory discussions. I would like to expound on it, but it would be inappropriate to do so on this thread...

If you would like to know more about OSD Pro, there are a couple of threads on that equipment. The Guardian expander which connects to the OSD Pro is probably the best stabilizer on the market, with the exception of the Guardian 2D/3D.
Cheers
-Mike
That was the perfect response... soon, this form will be as nice as FPVLAB.

Anyway,
I have the Guardian expander with my OSD Pro.
How different is the new standalone stabilizer... in terms of "feel"

Later,
Gundy
Gundy is offline Find More Posts by Gundy
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:59 AM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Has anyone received a ship notification from Ready made RC

Thanks,

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:30 AM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
839 Posts
Shipping

Ye Ha.

Received my shipping notice today.
Order was placed March 7th direct from EagleTree, just to give everyone waiting for theirs an
indication of where they may be in the list.

I have several EagleTree devices and they are all super.

Cheers, JR
jjr2001 is online now Find More Posts by jjr2001
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:06 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
flying-llama

Thanks for the reply. It answered my slight curiosity in FPV systems.
My main current interest is on non-FPV 3-axis gyro systems for aerobatics (like the Guardian 2D/3D).
I just got my first 3-axis gyro aircraft, an mQx micro-quad copter, and I am amazed at how much better it flies outdoors dealing with wind, etc. than my other aircraft (I fly models that are both small and slow).

p.s. A general note on this thread: I am reading it because of my interest in the Guardian 2D/3D, but beyond that, I am getting to learn a lot about other related topics on electronics for controling RC aircraft. A general thanks to the posters on this thread.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Jul 02, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:24 PM
Chicago, USA and Manila, Philippines
Joined May 2007
147 Posts
good question, i just emailed them yesterday and his replies is

=====
I'm still showing your order a waiting on components and it seems like they're
finally sending them our way and we'll fill those pre orders right away. Not
sure how many we'll get but I hope theres enough for us to fill all preorders
and then have some on the shelves... but we'll see.

Sorry for the delay. It seemed initially that they said they were shooting for
early June, and clearly that didn't happen. :-O

Thanks,
Dave
================

btw, i am backorder no.10 .. .i hope he does FIFO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
Has anyone received a ship notification from Ready made RC

Thanks,

FCA
yurstruly is offline Find More Posts by yurstruly
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Jan 2012
16 Posts
Shipping

I placed my order on Mar 23rd. I received the shipping notice today also.

I do have one question, does the Guardian require you to reset level before every flight?
Ineedmoreparts is offline Find More Posts by Ineedmoreparts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:06 PM
Sandy Springs, GA
Joined Jul 2008
499 Posts
Shipping

I received my Guardian a few minutes ago. I got a shipping notice Friday.

Bruce
landeck is offline Find More Posts by landeck
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
How are they shipping? UPS fedx usps?)
pm79311 is offline Find More Posts by pm79311
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:48 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts