HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:53 AM
Joined Jul 2007
745 Posts
One thing I dont understand is engaging 3d mode.
You do this by centering the sticks?

What happens if Im flying and I just want to fly straight, will it activate
when I don't want it to?
The_RattleSnake is offline Find More Posts by The_RattleSnake
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:39 AM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_RattleSnake View Post
One thing I dont understand is engaging 3d mode.
You do this by centering the sticks?

What happens if Im flying and I just want to fly straight, will it activate
when I don't want it to?
You engage 3D or 2D mode either thru the 3-position Mode switch assigned in your Tx or using it as the default mode if not using any Mode switch.

From my own actual observation, 3D mode will keep the model's last attitude which it was in before you centered the stick. It helps flying in windy conditions when you want to feel like having all controls over your model. The 2D mode will fly the model back to straight and level when you center the stick.
ricoalonso is offline Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Last edited by ricoalonso; Jun 28, 2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:00 AM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Which comes back to my earlier question about hand launching in 3D mode

1 - Select 3D mode via switch, check

2 - throttle up, throw, and hope it does not come crashing down
How will the unit know what attitude to hold

Let's get all the details before the units are shipped

Beta testers - how about some new videos, and test fligh reports

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:17 AM
Account closed - user passed away
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Four more flight with Lil-Banchee and Guardian this morning and decided to change things up a bit. Hand launches with plane inverted ,launched at at aprox. 20,40,60 and 80 degrees. Tracked exactly as released until it was getting to high and or to far away. I continue to be amazed. Point the plane ,in 3D mode stir the sticks ,run throttle up and release.
Charles
I think Charles has posted this several times.

"Point the plane ,in 3D mode stir the sticks ,run throttle up and release".

Mike
Patron is offline Find More Posts by Patron
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:30 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,853 Posts
Flame 747
As I understand it. If I hand launch, say with a 30deg left bank & 30 degree climb. The 3 axis accelerometers detect deviations in the 3 axes that occur as eg the left wing tip & nose want to drop. What amazes me are the reports of how small a deviation can be detected & corrected.
DavidN is online now Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:36 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,275 Posts
This is strange. New stabilization hardware and hardly any demo videos. Videos from the beta testers sure would be nice.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:27 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by otrcman View Post
Hi Silver,

Thank you for your report. One thing I wasn't clear on. In your report, you said, "Test Flight: Fly level, cut throttle and pitch up". Did you intentionally pitch the airplane up with an elevator command or did the airplane pitch up by itself ?

My original premise was as follows:

1. Fly level at cruise or full throttle in 2D mode.

2. Chop throttle, but make no other inputs.

3. Observe model behavior. I suspect that the model will continue straight and level, but lacking power it will lose speed (Guardian will keep adding up elevator in order to maintain a level pitch attitude.) At some point, the airplane will lose so much airspeed in trying to maintain pitch level without power, that it will stall. Does it in fact do this or does Guardian 2D somehow lower the nose to allow the airplane to maintain flying speed ? A normally stable airplane without stability augmentation can be expected to pitch down all by itself because it will try to maintain a constant angle of attack rather than a constant attitude.

This was a flaw that we found in flying the NASA PA-30 in attitude command mode. The airplane was marvelously docile to fly as long as power was kept between mid range and full. Adding or reducing power simply resulted in a speed change without an attitude change. But when we reduced power to the point that the airplane needed to nose down to maintain a safe speed, it would stall because the control system kept trying to maintain a level pitch attitude.

Dick
Hello Otrcman,

Done. I opted to just go with one angle, +20 deg. I wanted to stay under the +25 deg limit to ensure that 2D stayed engaged when I calibrated the unit. The other angles I proposed are not necessary since this is nearest to the extreme.

In conclusion, the airplane just went into a smooth glide into a 2-5 mph wind. I'll see if I can get the video up today.

The toughest part of beta testing is that you only get one unit. It was tough pulling this thing out of the Twist 3D since it really livened up that airframe, and now I'm going to have a hard time pulling it out of the P-47.

I'm ready for my pre-orders!

Parkzone P47 with Guardian 2D/3D - 2D mode stall testing (3 min 54 sec)
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Nov 28, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:55 PM
Honolulu
Joined Jul 2003
109 Posts
Hi Everyone
Sorry on the videos. My main video person has been busy with his son getting ready for the Air Force Academy, and my other buddies are not too good at videoing. Here are links to my old videos with the Guardian. Will try and get some new ones Sunday.
F-4D Skyray with Eagle Tree Guardian Sabilization (8 min 28 sec)

F-4D guardian1.wmv (2 min 22 sec)

Silverexpress good work on the stall testing with comparative products pretty cool.

Flame 747 thanks for the kudos. I really wanted to test 3d heading hold on my MB339 but just ran out of time last week.

From my experience flying turbine’s with the Guardian is it is rock solid and very responsive.

2D, basically if you’re flying fast enough it will level the wings with authority (adjustable with gain ch) and fly the aircraft in level flight depending on what you have set as the level flight setting, the Guardian holds the level flight pitch and roll as long as your airplane can aerodynamically hold that attitude.

Using 2D for panic recovery, hands off. I really want to get video of this (maybe Sunday), very impressive from vertical up, vertical down, inverted, and inverted with roll all with very little altitude lost. You really have to see it to believe it.

3D, non-heading hold. Like a rate gyro it just stabilizes you’re airplane, and makes it look and fly smoother. The Guardian is much more responsive that the futaba gyros I had used in the same plane before.

3D, Heading hold like flying a arrow point the plane and it will hold that attitude if aerodynamically able too. I have not tested this yet, although the other beta testers have.
Aero65 is offline Find More Posts by Aero65
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:55 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
This is strange. New stabilization hardware and hardly any demo videos. Videos from the beta testers sure would be nice.
I will have more videos this weekend. My problem is always finding someone to take video while I fly. And strapping a camera to your head is useless since you can't zoom. I tried, trust me.
HansAuf is online now Find More Posts by HansAuf
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:03 PM
Honolulu
Joined Jul 2003
109 Posts
Hi HansAuf

Yep have the same problem, very hard to find good video camera people. Plus if it's another flyer it does really take time out of their flying.

Not an easy thing to trying follow a R/C plane let alone not shake like a you had 30 cups of coffee.
Aero65 is offline Find More Posts by Aero65
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:32 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,158 Posts
Ah Hah!

This message was sent to you at the request of Eagle Tree Systems, LLC, to notify you that they have shipped a package to you. For details about your shipment or to track your package, please refer to the information below.

jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:23 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,977 Posts
The last half of this flight was with Guardian including the last landing. Guardian on in 2D mode, very locked in although decreases the banking angle, need to tune on it more. Was basically default setting at about 50% gains with adjustment on DX8 knob.

40" Wing Maiden (5 min 18 sec)
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:26 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,977 Posts
Another test flight on Popwing.

Eagle Tree Guardian - Testing Video #2 (6 min 12 sec)

Nothing fancy. Overall liking how Guardian performs, nice for basically hands off level flight, will be good for AP and FPV use.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:56 AM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Guardian is shipping!

I just got a note that my Guardian is shipping!
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:27 AM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
540 Posts
me too!
Bugbitten is offline Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator