SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 31, 2012, 02:56 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,166 Posts
Since the Guardian does have accelerometers, would it be possible to build a G limit into the firmware so pullout doesn't happen too quickly? I'm thinking of a default limit of perhaps 10 Gs adjustable from the PC interface.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 03:15 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
Since the Guardian does have accelerometers, would it be possible to build a G limit into the firmware so pullout doesn't happen too quickly? I'm thinking of a default limit of perhaps 10 Gs adjustable from the PC interface.
Add to this an adjustable radius, instead of what looks like 90 deg.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old May 31, 2012, 03:17 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
It was not as bad with the gain at a lower setting. The gain value determins how hard it pulls out. This plane can't take full elevator like my other balsa/ply Nitro trainer could. As a tester, I'm pushing the limits here to bring all this out.
If you adjust the gain based on this, what happens to the other flight conditions?

I'm still for the automatic gain adjustment via an air sensor (pitot tube). This seems like a good application for it.
Last edited by Silverexpress; May 31, 2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old May 31, 2012, 03:27 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
If you adjust the gain based on this, then what happens to the other flight conditions?

I'm still for the automatic gain adjustment via an air sensor (pitot tube). This seems like a good application for it.
I have not explored the PC software yet but I'm using a 3 position switch for gain. Off/MID/HIGH is how I set it right now for experimenting. I had the gain on high which was very aggresive for my airframe and what I was doing. I have the dials at about 50% for each and I think +80% on the gain channel. I have been wanting to set it so high that I experiance the oscilations but have not gotten there yet with this plane.
Pitot tube idea is nice. It may be something they should put on the eagletree integrated version with the GPS or Pitot tube option. At a first glance, I think adding a Pitot tube may be higher end for this product at first. I'd like them to get past the first release though
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old May 31, 2012, 04:12 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
I have not explored the PC software yet but I'm using a 3 position switch for gain. Off/MID/HIGH is how I set it right now for experimenting. I had the gain on high which was very aggresive for my airframe and what I was doing. I have the dials at about 50% for each and I think +80% on the gain channel. I have been wanting to set it so high that I experiance the oscilations but have not gotten there yet with this plane.
Pitot tube idea is nice. It may be something they should put on the eagletree integrated version with the GPS or Pitot tube option. At a first glance, I think adding a Pitot tube may be higher end for this product at first. I'd like them to get past the first release though
I'd like this product to be #1 - The Best.

It will be the one that sets the standard for the rest to follow (or as things go in this business environment - copy). So far it has a feature set and structure that I have not yet seen in any other type of stabilization system made for winged aircraft. A $1500 Gyrobot 900 Wing does not even come close.....yet, and if the cost does not change it never will. Furthermore, the software and the options pretty much leaves my FY30A's in the dust.

It leaves me very curious as to what the big name radio tx/rx manufacturers will come out with. Strategically, how could they equal or better this?
Last edited by Silverexpress; May 31, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old May 31, 2012, 06:07 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
I am curious are you all using equal values for Pitch, Roll, & Yaw

From my experience with other Flight Stabilization units, I tend to use a higher value on Pitch, lower on Roll, and Yaw being the lowest.

Iíve always used preset gains, but look forward to setting this up to where I can adjust the gain as needed.

Now if ET will just give us a firm release date.

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old May 31, 2012, 07:58 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post

From my experience with other Flight Stabilization units, I tend to use a higher value on Pitch, lower on Roll, and Yaw being the lowest....
I have been using highest to lowest. Pitch - Yaw - Roll. But my yaw gain was almost as high as the pitch for 3D style flying.
HansAuf is offline Find More Posts by HansAuf
Old Jun 01, 2012, 01:18 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
I wonder if the resellers are also sold out all the units from the 1st batch.

I ordered 1 from ReadyMade RC, I want to order a 2nd unit ,but they wont tell me if they have any remaining stock from the 1st order.

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Jun 01, 2012, 02:11 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero65 View Post
Hi Joel
Tks, easy to make it look good with the Guardian.
The oscillation looked scary but it remained in control, the Guardian backed down the gain, I also pulled the throttle back.

During the whole approach I was thinking hold it, hold it (don't pull early). I really should have held the gear and dived it a bit more got lucky with the energy state though. Man that plane bleeds energy fast. I was in 3D mode 50% gain.
Aero65,

Thanks for the info! I have a few planes that could use one of these. No turbines, but the ability to cover a wide range of airframe types & airspeeds is important to me.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 02:16 PM
Honolulu
Joined Jul 2003
110 Posts
Hi FLAME747

I had Pitch up to about 60% Roll down to 25% Yaw at 60% on the dials. Ill take a picture and post it today.

Aloha

Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post

From my experience with other Flight Stabilization units, I tend to use a higher value on Pitch, lower on Roll, and Yaw being the lowest.

Iíve always used preset gains, but look forward to setting this up to where I can adjust the gain as needed.

Now if ET will just give us a firm release date.

FCA
Aero65 is offline Find More Posts by Aero65
Old Jun 01, 2012, 02:56 PM
Account closed - user passed away
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
How about a few more flight reports from you guys that have the units?

Charles?
Charles?
Charles?

Thanks

Mike
Patron is offline Find More Posts by Patron
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:02 PM
Chicago, USA and Manila, Philippines
Joined May 2007
153 Posts
semi off topic .. another competitor of Guardian

a new product that was released recently that was based on A3..with an on and off switch thru flight via your transmitter..
it's an A3Pro
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/eagle-a3-...-function.html

original A3
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/eagle-mic...roller-a3.html

it looks like a clone of guardian 2d/3d at 1/2 the price..
as usual it looks like we have an economic espionage from china again..

p.s. i had my guardian 2d/3d on b/o at readymaderc .. the latest info from eagletree website is delivery on 2nd or 3rd week of june.. for those who wants it now on 1stbatch, readymadercdotcom has plenty for backorders on their hands..
yurstruly is offline Find More Posts by yurstruly
Last edited by yurstruly; Jun 01, 2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: add note
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:14 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,606 Posts
No accelerometer. No competition. You can do the same thing as that thing with a KK multirotor board. I've done it. The Guardian miles ahead of that thing and is backed by Eagle Tree's product support. Plus a fantastic community of folks here. I'd rather pay the extra $40 smackers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron View Post
How about a few more flight reports from you guys that have the units?

Charles?
Charles?
Charles?

Thanks

Mike
I'm finally going to get it up in the big 72" slick if no rain tomorrow. This tropical storm is making my grass grow and my patience wear thin.
HansAuf is offline Find More Posts by HansAuf
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:25 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yurstruly View Post
a new product that was released recently that was based on A3..with an on and off switch thru flight via your transmitter..
it's an A3Pro
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/eagle-a3-...-function.html

original A3
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/eagle-mic...roller-a3.html

it looks like a clone of guardian 2d/3d at 1/2 the price..
as usual it looks like we have an economic espionage from china again..
This thread has mentions of how well the Guardian head holding holds.
I have yet to see reports on how well the A3Pro headholding (AVCS) mode holds (or drifts).
I remember reading that one thing about inexpensive head holding gyros is their tendency to drift.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Jun 01, 2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Reword for different emphasis
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:14 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
It's not a restricted forum or anything but this thread is about the Guardian, not the A3.
The A3 has a thread of it's own.
BTW, I don't think the A3 Pro is in the same ballpark as the Guardian.
Definitly would not call it either a copy, nor a clone.
3 Axis gyro, yes, it sure is.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic