HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 28, 2012, 11:30 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
"In subsequent CPII releases, we hope to support a feature termed hard deck. Imagine an aircraft, out of control, and heading towards earth. Pilot is completely at a loss to recover. Hard deck will represent a minimum altitude at which Level Flight Mode will be activated, regardless of Remote setting. ER will become mandatory to swift and un-constrained recovery of the model in this scenario which is the main reason why the feature is already available in the CPII firmware."

Basically once the plane or heli drops below the preset altitude, the system takes over and returns the model to level flight, and add pitch to climb back to the "hard deck" this is all the info I've been able to gather

I can see this useful primarily to heli and 3D pilots, or and speed freaks like me

As with the guardian, the HD module is yet to be released, so standing in line

Hope this helped,

FCA

Not a challenge at all, I been playing around with various flight stabilization units for awhile now, the guardian is just another one to play around with
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Last edited by FLAME747; May 28, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 11:31 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
So far a few nice nice videos have been posted, any of the BETA testers doing some sport flying, this is from earlier today

Had a CO-Pilot II installed, PZ P-51 Mustang stock power system, this is the slowest bird in my fleet

It would be nice to see the Guardian in action, going thru some mild sport flying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS4pN...e_gdata_player

FCA
Nice flying and your p-51 looks solid in the air just like the real thing. Now this is starting to sound like a challenge! Unfortunately, the G2D3D that was lent to me stays in the Twist for now. That is until I've tweaked it enough to know what the limits are.

I've dabbled with scale like flying using individual gyros and in comparison an FY30A. It really does make a difference in the visual look of the aircraft. And the added stability welcomes added details.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; May 28, 2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 03:13 AM
Honolulu
Joined Jul 2003
109 Posts
Turbine Skyray Guardian test F-4D

Hi I didn't edit the video much (misspelled stabilization in the title track oh well)
ill up load the second flight later tonight. The flame out was due to a bubble in the fuel filter.

Yes I'm the big guy in the blue in the video, too much good food in the Islands, and too much sitting on my butt doing IT work lol.
Now I'm paying the price salads, and very little carb's, eating good sucks : )

F-4D guardian1.wmv (2 min 22 sec)
Aero65 is offline Find More Posts by Aero65
Last edited by Aero65; May 29, 2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old May 29, 2012, 06:33 AM
Honolulu
Joined Jul 2003
109 Posts
Turbine Skyray Guardian test F-4D flight 2

Hello all

It's late here, here is my entire 8 min 2nd flight on 5/20/12. Tested 3d mode (no heading hold) and 2d mode.

The unit performed very well, its late here Ill post more comments later today.

F-4D Skyray with Eagle Tree Guardian Sabilization (8 min 28 sec)
Old May 29, 2012, 09:01 AM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Excellent video Aero65

I know we will all have to do some fine tuning in order to find the optimal gain setting, so at high speed you are using about 30% gain, I assume this applys to both 2D & 3D modes, are you adjusting the gain via a knob on your TX

I have a JR9503, I plan on mapping the gain control function to the left slider on the side of the radio, or program a preset gain setting for each of my flight modes, the latter being a bit more challenging, since each flight mode has different dual rates.

Again awesome video, can't wait to get my unit.

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old May 29, 2012, 11:08 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero65 View Post
Hello all

It's late here, here is my entire 8 min 2nd flight on 5/20/12. Tested 3d mode (no heading hold) and 2d mode.

The unit performed very well, its late here Ill post more comments later today.
Beautiful. I loved the landing at the end. It behaved very scale like.
Old May 29, 2012, 01:04 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,180 Posts
Aero65,

Nice vids! Looked very scale-like in flight, despite the conditions. That episode of aileron oscillation looked rather scary, however. Did you reduce the gain manually, slow down, or let the system compensate? Regarding the flame-out - it looked like you got her on the deck just as she ran out of energy. Great job with the energy-conservation during the approach - and nice deadstick! BTW - which mode were you using at the time?

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2012, 04:32 PM
Honolulu
Joined Jul 2003
109 Posts
Hello Flame747
Thanks for the kind comment on the video.
1. Gains: Yes I am using a 3 position sw to change modes, and a dial to experiment with gains on both 2D and 3D.
On 2D I have heading hold at 5
On 3D I have heading hold of and direct rate off
2. Sounds like a good setup on the slider, should be fun trying to figure out the flight mode setup. I used to have a 9303 and a 10X, I canít think of how Iíd do it at the moment.
Once I nail down my gain settings Iím going to put them on a 3 position sw. Too hard to turn dial and fly with any precision.
3. I like the idea of a hard deck feature, could really save someoneís bacon when they get disorientated.
4. Nice flying on the P-51, looks like itís moving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
Excellent video Aero65
I know we will all have to do some fine tuning in order to find the optimal gain setting, so at high speed you are using about 30% gain, I assume this applys to both 2D & 3D modes, are you adjusting the gain via a knob on your TX
I have a JR9503, I plan on mapping the gain control function to the left slider on the side of the radio, or program a preset gain setting for each of my flight modes, the latter being a bit more challenging, since each flight mode has different dual rates.
Again awesome video, can't wait to get my unit.
FCA
Old May 29, 2012, 04:51 PM
Honolulu
Joined Jul 2003
109 Posts
Thanks Silverexpress

Without the stabilization the F-4D can really be a handfull in gusty winds. Lots of dutch roll, and spiral instability.... after a 180 turn it just loves to dive to the ground . With the gyros on its lots of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Beautiful. I loved the landing at the end. It behaved very scale like.
Old May 29, 2012, 04:58 PM
Honolulu
Joined Jul 2003
109 Posts
Hi Joel
Tks, easy to make it look good with the Guardian.
The oscillation looked scary but it remained in control, the Guardian backed down the gain, I also pulled the throttle back.

During the whole approach I was thinking hold it, hold it (don't pull early). I really should have held the gear and dived it a bit more got lucky with the energy state though. Man that plane bleeds energy fast. I was in 3D mode 50% gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Aero65,

Nice vids! Looked very scale-like in flight, despite the conditions. That episode of aileron oscillation looked rather scary, however. Did you reduce the gain manually, slow down, or let the system compensate? Regarding the flame-out - it looked like you got her on the deck just as she ran out of energy. Great job with the energy-conservation during the approach - and nice deadstick! BTW - which mode were you using at the time?

Joel
Old May 31, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
Tomorrow is June 1st any word from ET about ship date yet?
'
pm79311 is offline Find More Posts by pm79311
Old May 31, 2012, 09:40 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
Testing 2D mode:
Well, I moved the guardian to my foamie/trainer platform which is a Dynam Hawksky. I use that plane to test new gyros, new Recievers and also to train students/kids from time to time. My idea was to run the 3d mode, try it out then do some spiralling dives with the plane and flip the switch to 2D and demonstrate it recovering. One of my ideas as a training aide was to be able to have an instructor with the switch in 2D mode and the student flying in 3D mode. I think the student needs to learn the stick and not learn to fight the movement. So if the student ran into trouble, the instructor let go of the buddy box switch and since he was in 2D mode (with the throttle held back some), the instructor would not have to worry as much about which way to turn to pull out of the dive if the instructor was not as skilled as say a more experianced pilot. I did this sort of thing with my 450 helicopter and it proved an asset. Because I don't have to worry about orientation, I can try to coach the student further into the failure to try to get them out and wait longer, hoping for a success moment out of them (staying calm the whole time).

Well, this was working fine and I had some successful dives till I was going to fast and the wing snapped. I'll chalk this up to being too agressive on my part with a non-reinforced wing. The motor is upgraded and the hawksky is faster than stock so I should have reinforced the wing with some Bi Di tape which I'll do next time.

I think the 2D mode is very usable for orientation recovery as well as the noted FPV. The Guardian is continuing to impress me on it's usefullness.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old May 31, 2012, 11:22 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,381 Posts
You definitely have to be careful. Especially in a powered dive. Going from normal or 3D to 2D Head Holding mode while in flight can be abrupt, and will certainly test the structural integrity of your model in a dive. Newton's laws still applies, the base formula being, F=ma (I really think he would have made one awesome 3D pilot)

If you wanted to use this as purely as a bailout device, just remember one thing - initiate the switch before the aircraft generates to high an acceleration (resulting in high G's). Dives in particular are very punishing - The Guardian will change the plane's direction of travel 90 degs. Use common sense, and make sure your battery is secure.

It would be cool if we could get actual min/max gforce readings from the accelerometers in the Guardian.

I've attached a link to a G-force calculator below. Use it to get a good estimate of the load experienced by your plane. Look at the video I posted above and you can get an estimate of the turn radius - when I go from a dive to level flight using 2D HH.

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force

On-line G-Force Calculator
http://www.rcpro.org/rccalc/GForce.aspx
Last edited by Silverexpress; Jun 01, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:32 AM
Flying FPV or Dreaming I Am...
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,073 Posts
I am looking forward to using this product, but I was hoping to see a single PPM to Rx connection to simplify wiring. I share DragonLink UHF Rx's between several models and having the PPM stream on Ch9 on the Rx helps simplify the connections. Any chance that Rx connection could support a single PPM cable?
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old May 31, 2012, 12:30 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
You definitely have to be careful. Especially in a powered dive. Going to 2D can be abrupt, and will certainly test the structural integrity of your model. Newton's laws still applies, the base formula bing, F=ma -He would have made one awesome 3D pilot.
It was not as bad with the gain at a lower setting. The gain value determins how hard it pulls out. This plane can't take full elevator like my other balsa/ply Nitro trainer could. As a tester, I'm pushing the limits here to bring all this out.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic