Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 07, 2012, 09:27 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,553 Posts
You set servo direction and gain(amount / degree of correction) of each axis by POTs on the unit. You can use an external transmitter channel for overall gain adjustments however there are no indivual axis adjustments by remote.

2Do provides a great degree of stabilization / recovery that lets one fly straight and level hands off and not have to fight the wind / gust prop torque etc..

There are many fine tuning adjustments available in the 3D mode and hopefully ET will have the manual available on line soon.

Perhaps reading or rereading the 3D modes description in posy #1 will help.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 10:51 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,383 Posts
Everydayflyer,

Have you told everyone at your flying field that you have the Guardian installed on your aircraft(s)? I ask because I just started flying at a new field, and I swear it seems everyones foamy EP's are just as good in the wind as my stabilized planes. It's made me suspicious of one T-28 that was hovering in 15 mph winds. Lol. Then there is the gentlemen with an PZ SE-5 who does touch and goes all day long regardless of the wind. Who isn't beta testing the Eagle 2D/3D? I've also come to notice that now, when I show up...they leave. Lol. Their planes fly too realistically.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; May 07, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old May 07, 2012, 11:21 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Everydayflyer,

Have you told everyone at your flying field that you have the Guardian installed on your aircraft(s)? I ask because I just started flying at a new field, and I swear it seems everyones foamy EP's are just as good in the wind as my stabilized planes. It's made me suspicious of one T-28 that was hovering in 15 mph winds. Lol. Then there is the gentlemen with an PZ SE-5 who does touch and goes all day long regardless of the wind. Who isn't beta testing the Eagle 2D/3D? I've also come to notice that now, when I show up...they leave. Lol. Their planes fly too realistically.
It's a conspiracy
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old May 07, 2012, 11:28 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,553 Posts
Some pilots are so good they pay little to no attation to the wind and can fly most anything that is flyable and make it look easy. My son is one such pilot. I taught him to fly in 15 gusting to 30 MPH winds around 24 years ago. Many days we were the only ones at the field. He flys an original E Flite Beast and his Eflite MCP X in 8 to 15 mph winds and finds it amusing that when the winds reach 6 MPH I put my micros up.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old May 07, 2012, 01:22 PM
Major Electron Addiction
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2006
568 Posts
Use for camera stabilization

Do any of the Beta testers or Eagle Tree have any input regarding the use of this unit to stabilize a two servo camera mount? I have one on order and am planning to use it in fixed wing aircraft, but would also like to try it to stabilize the two axis GoPro camera mount hanging under my quad rotor copter.

Thanks for any help.
rodsmith123 is offline Find More Posts by rodsmith123
Old May 07, 2012, 01:37 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
I also fly the original UMX Beast in 15+ MPH winds. Heck, I maidened it in a gusty 17 MPH wind. I do it mainly to keep my reflexes sharp & also to rib the large-scale guys who often hangar-fly when the wind picks up. But I don't consider it to be super fun flying. More like white-knuckle flying. Fun for a few minutes or so, but not much fun after that. In contrast - I often fly the AS3X-equipped UMX Beast 3D in 25+ MPH winds, chuckling & laughing the whole time. I find myself actually hoping for a stiff breeze just so I can have fun playing with the air currents & surfing the turbulence. I often fly pack after pack, just playing the wind.

Systems such as the 2D/3D don't just make it possible to fly in much higher winds - they actually make it fun! I'm looking forward to putting one of these in my PA Extra 260 & flying in winds well-beyond stall-speed - doing 'stationary aerobatics' & playing with the air currents, like I currently do with the Beast 3D.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2012, 01:52 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,852 Posts
The mental image of an axial roll while the plane moves backwards in the wind is intriguing.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old May 07, 2012, 02:26 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
The mental image of an axial roll while the plane moves backwards in the wind is intriguing.
David,

How about a few videos instead of a mental image? See my blog thread for some clips of me flying the UMX Beast 3D in winds up to 26 MPH: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1637935

When I was a kid back in the 60s, I used to dream about being able to fly an RC plane right beside myself - watching it respond to my control inputs & the air currents. I used to dream about the day when we'd see full-house aerobatic planes that could fly in the backyard. Both are now easily doable - and for less than I used to spend on glow-fuel in a week!

There has never been a better time to be in this hobby!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2012, 03:09 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I also fly the original UMX Beast in 15+ MPH winds. Heck, I maidened it in a gusty 17 MPH wind. I do it mainly to keep my reflexes sharp & also to rib the large-scale guys who often hangar-fly when the wind picks up. But I don't consider it to be super fun flying. More like white-knuckle flying. Fun for a few minutes or so, but not much fun after that. In contrast - I often fly the AS3X-equipped UMX Beast 3D in 25+ MPH winds, chuckling & laughing the whole time. I find myself actually hoping for a stiff breeze just so I can have fun playing with the air currents & surfing the turbulence. I often fly pack after pack, just playing the wind.

Systems such as the 2D/3D don't just make it possible to fly in much higher winds - they actually make it fun! I'm looking forward to putting one of these in my PA Extra 260 & flying in winds well-beyond stall-speed - doing 'stationary aerobatics' & playing with the air currents, like I currently do with the Beast 3D.

Joel
You should know me well enough, if i am not having fun im not going to be flying, i never fly and not have fun, i find it funny that i will fly my v1 micro beast in the 8mph + winds while guys flying 6 pound 60 sized pattern planes will start to pack up or not even unload. wind doesn't bother me unless i happen to be flying a very under powered plane and if its a plane of mine that never happens
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old May 07, 2012, 04:19 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
You should know me well enough, if i am not having fun im not going to be flying, i never fly and not have fun, i find it funny that i will fly my v1 micro beast in the 8mph + winds while guys flying 6 pound 60 sized pattern planes will start to pack up or not even unload. wind doesn't bother me unless i happen to be flying a very under powered plane and if its a plane of mine that never happens
Me neither.

Remember - I'm talking about flying in winds that are four times a plane's stall-speed. I don't know any pilots who would consider that to be a really fun thing to do for more than a few minutes, at most. With a good stabilizer, I find it to be so much fun that I can burn through a fistful of packs just screwing around with the wind. As I mentioned - being able to fly an RC plane right beside myself was a childhood dream of mine. I could tell you about the time I took my 1/4-scale Super Cub on a 100-mile cross-country flight - flying from the back of a pickup, often with the plane cruising along right beside me, maybe 10 feet away. But I digress....

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
Spring has sprung and Summer is comming.

Lets see now, I think Spring is March, April, and May.
That would mean Summer starts about June 1. and late Spring is upon us. Does that mean that we are about to see a ship date? I really wish it was that simple, However I understand that difficulties can occur. Has anyone heard of any change in shipping date, or have they backed off of the late Spring date? It would be nice if we could be getting it soon, or at least get some idea or estimate or guess as to when we can expect shipping?
pm79311 is offline Find More Posts by pm79311
Old May 07, 2012, 05:11 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm79311 View Post
Lets see now, I think Spring is March, April, and May.
That would mean Summer starts about June 1. and late Spring is upon us. ...
They may be going by the calendar, which gives June 20 as the first day of summer (giving them most of June for late spring)
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old May 07, 2012, 07:15 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsmith123 View Post
Do any of the Beta testers or Eagle Tree have any input regarding the use of this unit to stabilize a two servo camera mount? I have one on order and am planning to use it in fixed wing aircraft, but would also like to try it to stabilize the two axis GoPro camera mount hanging under my quad rotor copter.

Thanks for any help.
I just borrowed a camera gimble from a multirotor - so will test out. The functionality is there in the current firmware

I have also been testing the guardian quadcopter functionality and i am very impressed so far - i am trying to get the pid tuning as good as i can and will post a video

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old May 07, 2012, 07:25 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by otrcman View Post
As one who hasn't actually seen a Guardian first hand, I'm wondering if you can set it up for different flight modes in each axis ? For instance, could you set it up for 2D on the ailerons and 3D on rudder and elevator ? Or does it have to be in 2D or 3D across the board ?

Dick
Hi Dick

Short answer is no.... You choose either 2D or 3D. But i believe you can achieve what you are describing still in 2D mode

Also i think it is worthwhile just restateing the difference between the two modes - just to ensure we are talking about the same thing

2D = auto level - fly by wire - you fly the plane around as normal but depending on gains etc you are constrained by how much you can roll or pitch the plane from level. So you can put the plane in a steep bank, let go of stick and it jumps back to level flight

3D = hold last attitude. This mode is really fun. When you fly the plane around you cant really tell the guardian is there, but as soon as you let sticks centre, the guadian holds the current orientation / attitude of the plane. That could be some thing simple such as hold level, or a gentle climb, or something complex, like a hands off prop hang or knife edge etc

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old May 07, 2012, 08:10 PM
United States, PA, Clarksville
Joined Aug 2006
39 Posts
I have not worked on this PT-17 for year or so, but it is now at the top of the list, waiting for Guardian. Still lots to do, but I figure that maybe the timing will work out just about right.
Ken41 is offline Find More Posts by Ken41