HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:25 PM
Fokker,I didn't even kiss her
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined Apr 2011
1,259 Posts
Eagle Tree flight report!
All I can say is Wow!
Guardian is installed in my 1/4 Scale Fokker Dr1 Triplane.( aka The Plane from Hell)
This plane has been such a bear to fly...twitchy...pitchy...horrible on the ground...so bad I had a rudder gyro for taking off and landing.
Went out and flew it this afternoon and now this plane is the easiest plane to fly that I own...this device is remarkable! It's easier to fly than my 106" inch Cub...that's just crazy!
I set it up for 3D rate...took off in 3D rate....beautiful long roll out....gentle climb...smooth effortless turns...loops,rolls,hammerheads all so smooth.
Landing was unbelievable...greased in both times using throttle only for descent...straight as an arrow taking off and landing
I tried 2D but the plane would have taken 6 acres to turn ...it was just fighting me...LOL...I suppose it's really only for recovery.
The plane was already trimmed out so I did nothing but crank the master gain all the way up and flew.
This afternoon was spectacular weather...0 wind and 60 something degrees and then a huge thunder storm came up!
The next test will be flying it in breezy conditions...I'm sure it will be just fine
This is the best $65 I've spent since I've been flying.
All my WW1 planes will get Guardians
Tx is a Dx8 ,Rx is an AR 8000 so setup only took a minute.
I use the F Mode 3 way switch and the rotory knob for control.
Thanks for answering my questions last week guys and thank you Eagle Tree.
You've got a winner!
Bob
Bob Dunlop is offline Find More Posts by Bob Dunlop
Last edited by Bob Dunlop; Mar 16, 2013 at 05:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:46 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
523 Posts
Deleted
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:10 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
Whether to enable 3D Heading Hold and 3D Direct Rate is not an either/or decision, they are not in conflict, one is active when the sticks are centered and the other when the sticks are not.

3D Heading Hold, when enabled, takes over when you center the sticks and attempts to hold current attitude for pitch, yaw, and roll axes.

3D Direct Rate, when enabled, interprets a stick deflection as a desired rotation rate. The default settings are 1 Hz (1 rotation per second) for a full stick deflection on each axis. For the pitch axis with default settings and elevator stick pulled back completely, the Guardian will adjust the elevator until the aircraft's pitch angle is changing at a rate equivalent to one full rotation (360 degrees, a loop) every second. Same with roll axis, at default settings the Guardian interprets a full aileron stick deflection as a request to roll at a rate equivalent to one full rotation (360 degrees) every second. A partial stick deflection is a proportional request for less than 1 rotation per second. You can adjust the settings to request a lower rotation rate or a higher rotation rate, if the aircraft is capable.

If you disable both 3D Heading Hold and 3D Direct Rate and have the Guardian in 3D Mode, what you have left is a 3 axis rate gyro. It will deflect the appropriate control surface to counteract an unwanted rotation around an axis. The amount of control surface deflection is proportional to the rate of rotation, a rapid rotation results in a large deflection, a slow rotation results in a small deflection.
Yeah..I have a pretty good understanding of what it does...I was just wondering if he was trying to fly 3D maneuvers .
But thanks for the explanation
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:49 PM
China, Shanghai
Joined May 2011
1,057 Posts
[QUOTE=JayY;24442761]Whether to enable 3D Heading Hold and 3D Direct Rate is not an either/or decision, they are not in conflict, one is active when the sticks are centered and the other when the sticks are not.
/QUOTE]

Thanks for the review JayY. I had actually asked the question a few weeks ago and you also answered at that time. Just forgot. But that's how I ended up setting the G 3D with HH and Rate enabled.

Dunlop, congratulations back to you on you flight. I also believe I will be spending more money on more guardians for my fleet. It's just that it's sooo big
gadorey is online now Find More Posts by gadorey
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:49 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dunlop View Post
Eagle Tree flight report!
All I can say is Wow!
Guardian is installed in my 1/4 Scale Fokker Dr1 Triplane.( aka The Plane from Hell)
This plane has been such a bear to fly...twitchy...pitchy...horrible on the ground...so bad I had a rudder gyro for taking off and landing.
Went out and flew it this afternoon and now this plane is the easiest plane to fly that I own...this device is remarkable! It's easier to fly than my 106" inch Cub...that's just crazy!
I set it up for 3D rate...took off in 3D rate....beautiful long roll out....gentle climb...smooth effortless turns...loops,rolls,hammerheads all so smooth.
Landing was unbelievable...greased in both times using throttle only for descent...straight as an arrow taking off and landing
I tried 2D but the plane would have taken 6 acres to turn ...it was just fighting me...LOL...I suppose it's really only for recovery.
The plane was already trimmed out so I did nothing but crank the master gain all the way up and flew.
This afternoon was spectacular weather...0 wind and 60 something degrees and then a huge thunder storm came up!
The next test will be flying it in breezy conditions...I'm sure it will be just fine
This is the best $65 I've spent since I've been flying.
All my WW1 planes will get Guardians
Tx is a Dx8 ,Rx is an AR 8000 so setup only took a minute.
I use the F Mode 3 way switch and the rotory knob for control.
Thanks for answering my questions last week guys and thank you Eagle Tree.
You've got a winner!
Bob
Bob,

I am pleased it went so well. How did you mount the Guardian in the Fokker?

Bill

p.s. pictures are always appreciated.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:17 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Bob,

I am pleased it went so well. How did you mount the Guardian in the Fokker?

Bill

p.s. pictures are always appreciated.
I mounted it with industrial strength Velcro deep inside the fusalage right on the CG.
Sorry pictures not possible as I would have to disassemble the plane again
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:26 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dunlop View Post
I mounted it with industrial strength Velcro deep inside the fusalage right on the CG.
Sorry pictures not possible as I would have to disassemble the plane again
Pictures of the install are no necessary but pictures of the 1/4 scale plane are!
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:38 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
couple of questions

Just got my Guardian today. I will be setting it up on a 61" flying wing (elevon wing type). I have the USB and software setup and working.

Question1: Not sure what to do about Dual rates and expo. Manual says to set travels to 100% but says nothing about rates and expo. Do I set them as I normally would?

Master gain: I see how you are supposed to connect the gain to the TX but is there anyway to tell what the actual gain is from the G? In other words, any way to know if the gain is working right?
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:06 AM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
Just got my Guardian today. I will be setting it up on a 61" flying wing (elevon wing type). I have the USB and software setup and working.

Question1: Not sure what to do about Dual rates and expo. Manual says to set travels to 100% but says nothing about rates and expo. Do I set them as I normally would?

Master gain: I see how you are supposed to connect the gain to the TX but is there anyway to tell what the actual gain is from the G? In other words, any way to know if the gain is working right?
Dual rate and Expo is the same as you normally would. As to whether there is a way to tell what the actual gain, the best way is to just play with your gain settings using the individual pots and the master gain to a point which does not cause any oscillation and to your own preference.
ricoalonso is offline Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Last edited by ricoalonso; Mar 17, 2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:16 AM
Mike
United Kingdom, England, Thurstonfield
Joined Feb 2012
80 Posts
[QUOTE=gadorey;24437023]Get ready for a long post
Flying in 3d hh was very nice and easy. Also felt natural. It was relaxed. Then I switched to 2d and woah, everything went wonky, she nosed down, rolled to the right, soiled my trousers. Also in 2d she felt unnatural to me. Not really connected, but more on that later.

I had Exactly the same experience I have been using 3D only for a while now in a Funcub, so easy to fly, finally got the courage yesterday to toggle into 2D and the funcub banked right and down, quickly toggled back to 3D got control and landed. On checking the controls found the rudder was slightly off set. Tried again this time 2D was much better but toggled back when the FunCub got almost out of sight while trying to make a banked turn!!. I think I will just stick to 3D it is amazing. BTW I only have a 2 position gear switch on my Hitec optic 5 so i have no way to disable the gaurdian in flight or on the ground for that matter. Pity because I thing as you found the plane needs to be trimmed correctly for 2D to work. That is the only problem in that the gaurdian will allow you to fly a plane with incorrect trims and you would never know without having a 3 position switch. Does any one know how I might disable the gaurdian without having to un-install it. I have a Pc usb connection.

Thanks a Lot for the post Gadorey at least I know now I am on the right track

Mike
METATRON12 is offline Find More Posts by METATRON12
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:28 AM
Mike
United Kingdom, England, Thurstonfield
Joined Feb 2012
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
Whether to enable 3D Heading Hold and 3D Direct Rate is not an either/or decision, they are not in conflict, one is active when the sticks are centered and the other when the sticks are not.

3D Heading Hold, when enabled, takes over when you center the sticks and attempts to hold current attitude for pitch, yaw, and roll axes.

3D Direct Rate, when enabled, interprets a stick deflection as a desired rotation rate. The default settings are 1 Hz (1 rotation per second) for a full stick deflection on each axis. For the pitch axis with default settings and elevator stick pulled back completely, the Guardian will adjust the elevator until the aircraft's pitch angle is changing at a rate equivalent to one full rotation (360 degrees, a loop) every second. Same with roll axis, at default settings the Guardian interprets a full aileron stick deflection as a request to roll at a rate equivalent to one full rotation (360 degrees) every second. A partial stick deflection is a proportional request for less than 1 rotation per second. You can adjust the settings to request a lower rotation rate or a higher rotation rate, if the aircraft is capable.

If you disable both 3D Heading Hold and 3D Direct Rate and have the Guardian in 3D Mode, what you have left is a 3 axis rate gyro. It will deflect the appropriate control surface to counteract an unwanted rotation around an axis. The amount of control surface deflection is proportional to the rate of rotation, a rapid rotation results in a large deflection, a slow rotation results in a small deflection.

Thanks for this post JayY being a newbie to both rc flying and the gaurdian simple clear explanantions like this help enormously, although the gaurdian is simple to install the amount of different set up options once installed and working are quite intimidating and difficult to understand and I feel that a good understanding is essential in order to get the best out of the gaurdian i suppose you could liken it to buying a car with 6 gears and only ever using 5 because you never realised the 6th was there.

Mike
METATRON12 is offline Find More Posts by METATRON12
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:00 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,540 Posts
Bob Dunlop

Just read your flight report - CONGRATULATIONS !!!!
I can almost feel your excitement. Both Gadorey & you have successes on the same day - so that can't be bad for G and my prediction that G is the future of RCflying.

I think this thread is a gem of info on G + so many helful guys only too happy to help. I don't I'd be where I'm without help from such folkes.

Well done.

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Mar 17, 2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:49 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Pictures of the install are no necessary but pictures of the 1/4 scale plane are!
Here ya go
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...96644&page=241
Last edited by Bob Dunlop; Mar 17, 2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:52 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
523 Posts
Deleted
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:01 AM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,055 Posts
Disabling Guardian

I am sorry if I missed a previous connection post, but do you have a Gain knob/lever connected to the Guardian?

If so, just turn the gain control to "-100" and that will disable the stabilization thereby allowing you to trim in flight. Then, just crank the gain back up to where you had it.

If you use a default gain setting (i.e., the gain lead is unplugged), then you may have to rearrange the two-position switch to toggle between OFF and 3D 'till you get it trimmed.

Michael
[QUOTE=METATRON12;24446345]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadorey View Post
Get ready for a long post
Flying in 3d hh was very nice and easy. Also felt natural. It was relaxed. Then I switched to 2d and woah, everything went wonky, she nosed down, rolled to the right, soiled my trousers. Also in 2d she felt unnatural to me. Not really connected, but more on that later.

I had Exactly the same experience I have been using 3D only for a while now in a Funcub, so easy to fly, finally got the courage yesterday to toggle into 2D and the funcub banked right and down, quickly toggled back to 3D got control and landed. On checking the controls found the rudder was slightly off set. Tried again this time 2D was much better but toggled back when the FunCub got almost out of sight while trying to make a banked turn!!. I think I will just stick to 3D it is amazing. BTW I only have a 2 position gear switch on my Hitec optic 5 so i have no way to disable the gaurdian in flight or on the ground for that matter. Pity because I thing as you found the plane needs to be trimmed correctly for 2D to work. That is the only problem in that the gaurdian will allow you to fly a plane with incorrect trims and you would never know without having a 3 position switch. Does any one know how I might disable the gaurdian without having to un-install it. I have a Pc usb connection.

Thanks a Lot for the post Gadorey at least I know now I am on the right track

Mike
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515