SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:53 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
591 Posts
Deleted
JayY is online now Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 02:15 PM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith View Post
Ignore post. I finally figured it out myself.

I just bought a DX8 and figured out how to set ON/OFF-2D to the gear switch, but can't figure out how to set the GAIN to the twist knob-Aux3. The Aux1 socket is empty on the AR6115e receiver. Should the gain plug go in Aux1 socket on the receiver, and if so, how do I get the Aux3 twist knob to operate that gain function. The Mode plug is in the gear socket and that works fine for on/off or 2D. Perfect. Now if one of you guys who understands the DX8 could please tell me how to get that twist knob to adjust the gain I will be home free. Older than dirt and still learning, sorta ! Tom
How did you finally solve the problem?
Details if possible. I am having the same problem.
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Mar 09, 2013, 04:31 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,060 Posts
Froggy

The DX8 radio manual said in the switch select settings on page 15 that an auxiliary port can only be used once. That was the key, it can only be used once. In theory, I wasn't using Aux1, but being it was mapped to the flap switch it was already accounted for in the menu. The default has Aux1 mapped to the Flap switch and Aux3 defaults to the twist Knob. By inhibiting Aux1 in Flap it showed up as another option for the Knob, so I was able to use Aux 1 in Knob. Now it works as I hoped. To get a visual of what I was attempting to do I plugged a servo into the Aux1 port of my AR6115e and could see it physically moving as I twisted the Knob.That is a good way of actually seeing if something is working or not. Once I saw it was moving with the Knob I removed the test servo and plugged the gain plug into Aux1on the receiver and the twist knob worked to increase or lower the gain.. It's actually easier to do than it is to explain. Tom
Maybe I aint as dumb as I sometimes feel
Tom Smith is online now Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:14 PM
United States, WA, Kennewick
Joined Jan 2013
138 Posts
Love this thing!

Love this thing! Just flew my YAK55 with the Guardian installed just ahead of the cockpit. Did some vertical hover in 3d ...works GREAT and I am NOT a 3d pilot but like to practice...
safarirv is offline Find More Posts by safarirv
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:29 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
Joined Sep 2012
591 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:35 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
I like the idea of using a foamy to check this thing out. I'm putting one in the Tiger 60 I'm building, but nervous about it. I'll use my PZ T28 or Corsair as a test bed to learn the device and build confidence first. Thanks before the great idea!

--
Tom
RCPtero is offline Find More Posts by RCPtero
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:40 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
The maiden of my Parkzone T-28 went very well this afternoon. After the first takeoff, with Guardian off, it was obvious that the plane was flying very well and needed very little trimming, just one click each of down elevator and left aileron. Landed it and told Guardian about new transmitter trims by reconnecting battery and toggling 2D/3D mode switch twice during first 15 seconds. Second takeoff and climb to two mistakes high before enabling Guardian in 2D mode. Worked as expected in 2D mode, with no oscillations observed in any axis. My 11-year-old son, Andrew, wanted a try and he flew it very well.
The Guardian was in 2D mode the whole time Andrew flew, he said flew more confidently knowing the Guardian was there to save the plane if he become disoriented. I was going to try 3D mode, but the canopy blew off. It fluttered to the ground and landed undamaged, the magnet that was glued to the fuse had pulled away and was stuck to its mate on the canopy. We didn't get to fly the T-28 as much as we would have liked, but we both agreed that the T-28 was a sweet flying airplane, and that the Guardian in 2D mode delivered, turning an already mild mannered plane into a complete pussycat.
Well done JayY and Andrew. Good to hear T-28 is a good model and particularly 2D mode in Guardian. That's what I am trying to achieve with Super Cub. As you know it makes spiral dive in 2D but 3D is ok.

Now I think I have been able to locate two problems in the Cub:
a. Elevator horn (original & ~7years old) was hanging by 1mm plastic. So a new horn installed.
b. Elevator servo (HiTech HS82) is also faulty. Replaced that with 9g metal gear servo. So hopefully it should fly in the way it did when I maidened Guardian. Weather here - snow + strong wind for all of next week.... :~(

BTW, I always carry rubber bands & sticky tape for such moments as canopy flying off or for any minor field repair. Super glue is another handy item to carry + spare prop.

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:52 AM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Feb 2007
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
The maiden of my Parkzone T-28 went very well this afternoon. After the first takeoff, with Guardian off, it was obvious that the plane was flying very well and needed very little trimming, just one click each of down elevator and left aileron. Landed it and told Guardian about new transmitter trims by reconnecting battery and toggling 2D/3D mode switch twice during first 15 seconds. Second takeoff and climb to two mistakes high before enabling Guardian in 2D mode. Worked as expected in 2D mode, with no oscillations observed in any axis. My 11-year-old son, Andrew, wanted a try and he flew it very well. The Guardian was in 2D mode the whole time Andrew flew, he said flew more confidently knowing the Guardian was there to save the plane if he become disoriented. I was going to try 3D mode, but the canopy blew off. It fluttered to the ground and landed undamaged, the magnet that was glued to the fuse had pulled away and was stuck to its mate on the canopy. We didn't get to fly the T-28 as much as we would have liked, but we both agreed that the T-28 was a sweet flying airplane, and that the Guardian in 2D mode delivered, turning an already mild mannered plane into a complete pussycat.
Are you using all the default settings on the G? If not could you please let me know what settings you used in 2D.
sinowace is online now Find More Posts by sinowace
Last edited by sinowace; Mar 10, 2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:39 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
Joined Sep 2012
591 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:46 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
Joined Sep 2012
591 Posts
Deleted
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:49 AM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Feb 2007
367 Posts
Thanks. That is exactly the info I wanted.
sinowace is online now Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:05 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,901 Posts
Calling all Spectrum DX 8 users

This is slightly off topic - acquired a new DX 8 tx and programming it for G. The issue I've is that elevator makes hardly any down movement. Servo rechecked - no issue with Futaba tx. So what I need to do????

Surprising tho, dx8 has no issue with rudder servo - the same make of new servo I used in elevator .

Any suggestion?

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:13 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,901 Posts
Please to hear JayY your day was not wasted. I always carry two models with me. One to experiment with and the second one just to soak myself in the undiluted pleasure of flying

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:17 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,060 Posts
Is the neutral elevator setting centered (sub trim). Be sure your throws are set to 100%. If those two are where they are suppose to be set, try turning up the gain. More gain = more throw.
Tom Smith is online now Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:18 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,901 Posts
@ tom smith
Thanx for supplying details of how to connect gain to the "knob" in dx8.
It saved my time in experimenting / shuffling through pages of the program manual.

This is why Ixxxx this thread and rcg.

Cheers

:
Hi Tom,
I tested servo throw without G. Yep, trim neutral and +/-100%. Thinking about re-binding ???
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Mar 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM.