HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:10 PM
Joined Aug 2007
45 Posts
Hi Guys
I am only 100 pages into the thread, but I would like to ask a question

I installed a Guardian on my foamy T28 as a test bead. Everything went fine. After waving it around for about 3 minutes, it went dead; no light no servo movement. I checked for loose connections then tried it again; same results. I have not been able to reproduce problem since. I have not yet flown the setup. I ran an extra power lead to the setup, but am slightly nervous to fly it. Does this sound like a power problem?
Jack
jack726 is offline Find More Posts by jack726
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:47 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,905 Posts
It suddenly struck me today that my PZ Spitfire( the previous model) only uses 3 of the receiver's 5 channels. So, if I move it to my DX8 I could have a 3 way switch and the knob for gain.
Would that mean plugging the Gain plug into the rudder ch on the Rx? Then mixing the Aux 3 (knob) to rudder?
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Mar 09, 2013, 04:17 AM
Joined May 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Would I like to add a Guardian, yes, but there is no room in radio so I used a simple Eagle A3 3 axis gyro. My point is if every added accessory I wanted was installed I could easily use a 10-12 channel radio and receiver. But, it will have to wait.
I think you just summarized an obviously common problem that reflects to so many discussions in this thread, how to by-pass channel requirements.

The best advice I have got in this hobby is to buy the best transmitter you can afford. It is the one common denominator no matter how many planes there are in your hangar.

I bought a Futaba 8FGS wondering if I ever need all the channels and mixes and functions. But now I'm about to grow out, in one year. I'm already daisy-chaining 8 ch receivers to get 14 ch and the transmitter mixing table is almost full with some models. And there is no way going back.

Guardian needs two channels for it's own control; one knob or slider for gain and one 3-way switch for mode selection to make full advantage of the device. Anything less is a temporary by-pass from my point of view.

But Guardian can be used with no extra channels needed, if the user satisfies with a pre-flight fixed flight mode and a pre-fight fixed gain. This might suit very well eg. stabilizing a fpv-plane or a scale plane.

A mobile phone app can't change this channel requirement dilemma, it could help tuning at the flying site but user still needs a pc eg. for firmware upgrades.
FinnCat is offline Find More Posts by FinnCat
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:24 AM
Kingston Ontario Canada
Joined May 2006
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnCat View Post

Guardian needs two channels for it's own control; one knob or slider for gain and one 3-way switch for mode selection to make full advantage of the device. Anything less is a temporary by-pass from my point of view.

But Guardian can be used with no extra channels needed, if the user satisfies with a pre-flight fixed flight mode and a pre-fight fixed gain. This might suit very well eg. stabilizing a fpv-plane or a scale plane.

I put my first Guardian into my Mojo 25 (slab, 3D), using my DX7. On this, I use the Gear switch to select 2D or 3D. I use the AUX2 switch plus its trim slider to be my On/Off/variable Gain switch. Having set up the system and then made some minor adjustments to the pots, I really have no need to touch the variable Gain slider; however, I leave it enabled just so that I can play around with it if/when I get bored My "servo travel" on this Gain (AUX2 channel is set to
something like -150% with the switch pulled back toward me. This means that, regardless of where I might have the Trim set at any time, flipping the switch back will completely eliminate the Guardian from the control loop.

The major change I made via the computer is to set 3D as the default Mode.
I played around with 2D and, yes, it has its uses but, depending upon your personal requirements, you may never need to switch to/from one Mode. You can always set some parameters for 2D to enable more advanced maneouvering, should you choose that mode.

Now, this setup is almost as simple as one can get. I happen to have used an AR700 Rx, but this is being moved into another plane and a 6-channel Rx will be installed. I will always be in 3D Mode, whenever I enable the Guardian via the AUX2 switch.

My plan in using Guardians (I have at least one more, and probably will add to the collection over time) is to use the AR7000 to do the initial test flying and then substitute a simpler unit, keeping the AR7000 for the next plane, etc.

This is just one (cheap) man's thinking!
Deerslayer is online now Find More Posts by Deerslayer
Last edited by Deerslayer; Mar 09, 2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:38 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDude View Post

I agree with you and ^ &^^. It might be better to have two separate version of Guardian (similar to various Tx) so that one can graduate/ choose one version or the other. Try cramming in all the features in one may be too much to handle for a beginner.

KISS comes to mind !!

Cheers
I bought 6 Guardians and I agree with you!. I found the instructions hard to understand so I just gave up and sold the units without ever installing them. They sold fast though at $20.00 each!. Someone here on the forum bought them all at 1 time.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:00 AM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
sinowace, We're always listening. We track and discuss the feature requests posted here, and many will end up in our products - this feedback is really appreciated! Re a mobile app, we started work on the hardware adapter to support this some time ago, but it is going slowly due to other project priorities. It doesn't get as many requests as I would have expected, though. Are others interested in this capability?

Ha! Well, we applied, but apparently we're not too big to fail.
I would love a mobile app. (Apple flavored) not just for this, but for programming and accessing the data on the eLogger too.

--
Tom
RCPtero is offline Find More Posts by RCPtero
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:02 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPtero View Post
I would love a mobile app. (Apple flavored) not just for this, but for programming and accessing the data on the eLogger too.

--
Tom
What is a Apple ?
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:04 AM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocowboy View Post
+1 more for iOS. Although, I'd prefer a Bluetooth interface to either a 30-pin or Lightning adapter, seeing as how that major transition is going on right now. Plus, that way you could easily tap into the Android segment as well.
Agree with not needing wires. However due to the way Apple has broken, er, ah, "limited", their BT stack, I'd prefer wifi. I picked up a BT OBDII interface for my truck's computer and you have to jailbreak the iDevice and install a third party app to us it.

BT is fine, just please don't make me jailbreak to use it. I won't.
--
Tom
Last edited by RCPtero; Mar 09, 2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:13 AM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Agree with not needing wires. However due to the way Apple has broken, er, ah, "limited", their BT stack, I'd prefer wifi. I picked up a BT OBDII interface for my truck's computer and you have to jailbreak the iDevice and install a third party app to us it.

BT is fine, just please don't make me jailbreak to use it. I won't.
--
Tom
And before someone says it shouldn't matter since I've already done the jailbreak, I undid that and bought a wifi version. I'm giving the BT one to my neighbor who uses Android.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:22 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
And before someone says it shouldn't matter since I've already done the jailbreak, I undid that and bought a wifi version. I'm giving the BT one to my neighbor who uses Android.
Now Android I have heard of!
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:36 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,057 Posts
Ignore post. I finally figured it out myself.

I just bought a DX8 and figured out how to set ON/OFF-2D to the gear switch, but can't figure out how to set the GAIN to the twist knob-Aux3. The Aux1 socket is empty on the AR6115e receiver. Should the gain plug go in Aux1 socket on the receiver, and if so, how do I get the Aux3 twist knob to operate that gain function. The Mode plug is in the gear socket and that works fine for on/off or 2D. Perfect. Now if one of you guys who understands the DX8 could please tell me how to get that twist knob to adjust the gain I will be home free. Older than dirt and still learning, sorta ! Tom
Tom Smith is online now Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Last edited by Tom Smith; Mar 09, 2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Delete Post. I figured it out myself.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:58 AM View Post
JDougherty, Erie
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while JDougherty, Erie edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:25 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Dec 2002
20 Posts
+1 Android!
Excellent idea!
beto9 is offline Find More Posts by beto9
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:31 AM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy43 View Post
I need dual elevator servos. I did a search and didn't fined anyone using the SR10 Servo Reverser.
I too asked that question and that was put on the wanted list they have. Would be nice if the Aux could be used either as dual ailerons or dual elevators...user software selectable.. They recommended using a JR matchbox or equivalent Futaba matchbox or servo reverser.
stegl is offline Find More Posts by stegl
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:26 AM
Faster is Better
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocowboy View Post
+1 more for iOS. Although, I'd prefer a Bluetooth interface to either a 30-pin or Lightning adapter, seeing as how that major transition is going on right now. Plus, that way you could easily tap into the Android segment as well.
Brilliant. +1 for Bluetooth. +1 for IOS.
OldeMan is offline Find More Posts by OldeMan